What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall 2015/Winter 2016

dean_martin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Interesting older label version. I recall Ralfy really liked it. 60% Springbank malt in the blend. A 21yo Springbank is getting pretty spendy these days. Newer version is higher proof (46%)and probably $100 or more for a blended whisky.

Will be curious to hear what you think of it.

24 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Interesting older label version. I recall Ralfy really liked it. 60% Springbank malt in the blend. A 21yo Springbank is getting pretty spendy these days. Newer version is higher proof (46%)and probably $100 or more for a blended whisky.

Will be curious to hear what you think of it.

Yup, Ralfy's review was the primary factor in me purchasing these bottles, as there is very little out there on the Campbeltown Loch 21, especially the discontinued 80 proofer.  From what I gathered, this 80 proofer was good, neither the 80 proofer nor the 92 proofer are/were widely available in the US, and at $65 per bottle for 21 year old Springbank scotch (albeit not all single malt), I couldn't really go wrong.  I've learned enough times not to leave long discontinued whisky on the shelf, so I bought all three bottles they had.

Of course, I opened it last night and the cork broke right off the bat, so I needed to do some surgery, filtering of cork bits, and finding another cork that fit this bottle.  After that, I figured I'd let it sit and give it a go tonight.

I just picked up  A Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie Scottish barley. I'm looking forward in giving it a go later on tonight. 

Edited by R-Savage

Ran into a fellow SBer on New Years Eve in Overland Park, of  course in the bourbon aisle.  I ended up purchasing 2 bottles of CR XO, $30 each.  Will crack one of them open when I get home. 

Spirit of Dublin, a Teeling small batch Irish whiskey.  Finished for 6 months in rum casks.

Sort of purchased as it came from family funds.  The wife replenished my extinguished supple of Balvenie Portwood 21.  One of my favorites.

Keeping with what always seems to happen, set out to simply pick up something particular, and walked out with that and something extra.  Yesterday, the extra was a Compass Box Spice Tree.

My 2016 "increase malt mission" commenced yesterday. Brought home a Mortlach Signatory 7 year Cask Strength (Bourbon), Longrow Red 11 year (Port), and Springbank 12 year Cask Strength (Batch 9). Many more on my list the next few months....

I roamed around the store and sadly I could not find anything that I wanted to take home.  Arizona is still out of Aberlour until next month, and I couldn't find anything interesting.  :(

Got a couple bottles of Glen Garioch 1995 a little while back. Between that and my Bruichladdich 10 I'm set for a while...

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban...my brother who lives in Europe and Scotch enthusiast recommended this rather readily US available drink...according to him I need to start steering away from the Dark Side, aka Bourbon...I told him "I will never join you"...:)

56 minutes ago, JvW said:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban...my brother who lives in Europe and Scotch enthusiast recommended this rather readily US available drink...according to him I need to start steering away from the Dark Side, aka Bourbon...I told him "I will never join you"...:)

The Quinta Ruban is a good start IMO.  I actually had a nice pour of my bottle the other night--the port finish adds a nice character to the scotch, and it is reasonably priced at around $50. 

Coming from bourbon, I have been a bit underwhelmed by some of the basic scotch offerings like Glenmo 10, Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12, etc., but I have discovered some excellent whiskys such as Springbank 10, Bunnahabhain 12, Glendronach 12 and 15, Glenfarclas 12 and 105, and many others. 

Let us know what you think when you have a pour.

7 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

The Quinta Ruban is a good start IMO.  I actually had a nice pour of my bottle the other night--the port finish adds a nice character to the scotch, and it is reasonably priced at around $50. 

Coming from bourbon, I have been a bit underwhelmed by some of the basic scotch offerings like Glenmo 10, Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12, etc., but I have discovered some excellent whiskys such as Springbank 10, Bunnahabhain 12, Glendronach 12 and 15, Glenfarclas 12 and 105, and many others. 

Let us know what you think when you have a pour.

Well indeed the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is a great pour (better than the LaSanta, Original and even the Nectar D'Or), but in my opinion the best Scotch I have had to date was a 19yr old Glendorach...but having a rather tough time finding any here in KY; found some in New Hampshire, but was unable to transport it back...too bad.

Edited by JvW

18 hours ago, JvW said:

Well indeed the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is a great pour (better than the LaSanta, Original and even the Nectar D'Or), but in my opinion the best Scotch I have had to date was a 19yr old Glendorach...but having a rather tough time finding any here in KY; found some in New Hampshire, but was unable to transport it back...too bad.

That is the nice thing about those basic Glenmorangies. A little something for everyone. I like port finishing in general and the Quinta Ruban but the Nectar D'Or is usually the best of that group for me.

Picked up a backup Bunnahabhain 12, as it has emerged as one of my favorite scotches.  92.6 proof, NCF and natural color for under $50 makes it compelling, and it comes through on the flavor and complexity as well.  Very solid IMO.  

5 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Picked up a backup Bunnahabhain 12, as it has emerged as one of my favorite scotches.  92.6 proof, NCF and natural color for under $50 makes it compelling, and it comes through on the flavor and complexity as well.  Very solid IMO.  

The same bottle is $65 over here.  :(.   It's on my list to try.

I bought a Jura Prophecy heavily peated because my main focus is unpeated.

You read that right.

I'm sick and tired of showing guests a wall of bottles and saying to them "whatever you'd like" and having them say "I like things heavily peated" and I have to say "God dammit!!!"

I like peated offerings, for what it's worth, as well, I've just been focused on the unpeated stuff for a while, and I've been resistant to the fact that most of the peated options are Diageo.

I need to get some Longrow.

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I bought a Jura Prophecy heavily peated because my main focus is unpeated.

You read that right.

I'm sick and tired of showing guests a wall of bottles and saying to them "whatever you'd like" and having them say "I like things heavily peated" and I have to say "God dammit!!!"

I like peated offerings, for what it's worth, as well, I've just been focused on the unpeated stuff for a while, and I've been resistant to the fact that most of the peated options are Diageo.

I need to get some Longrow.

Yes, yes you do. B)

And maybe a Kilchoman or two while you are at it!

Picked up a Laddie 10 on my trip back to Georgia, today.  

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, yes you do. B)

And maybe a Kilchoman or two while you are at it!

I'm on the case!

The malt mission continues... 1972 Glenfarclas family cask, Longrow Rundlets & Kilderkins, and a couple of Glendronach 15 revivals added to the bunker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.