Empty Bottle Support Group 2016

T Comp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This weekend I polished off my bottle of Widow Jane 8-year-old bourbon.  I take no position on Widow Jane as a company or how they market their products, but, that particular bottle of, as far as I could determine, MGP bourbon was very, very tasty.  It was a gift and I haven't seen it anywhere, and older MGP bourbon seems to be pretty thin on the ground.  I've got some SAOS bourbons that I hope will be similar.

1 hour ago, chasking said:

This weekend I polished off my bottle of Widow Jane 8-year-old bourbon.  I take no position on Widow Jane as a company or how they market their products, but, that particular bottle of, as far as I could determine, MGP bourbon was very, very tasty.  It was a gift and I haven't seen it anywhere, and older MGP bourbon seems to be pretty thin on the ground.  I've got some SAOS bourbons that I hope will be similar.

I've got an older bottle of Widow Jane 8 year that my Brother-in-law sent me a few years ago. It hasn't been emptied because i always forget about it, but I find it quite tasty myself.

On an unrelated note, I finished the last of a bottle of Old Charter 10 last night.

Finished my GB Cowboy last night.  Good riddance.  Lately I find myself plowing through undesirable bottles just to get rid of them instead of leaving them open on the bar for guests.  It's like I don't even want to be associated with these things hah.

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Finished my GB Cowboy last night.  Good riddance.  Lately I find myself plowing through undesirable bottles just to get rid of them instead of leaving them open on the bar for guests.  It's like I don't even want to be associated with these things hah.

I do the same thing! Most of my friends that drink bourbon know what the good stuff is so leaving the undesirables for guests doesn't work. The couple of guys that don't know better look to me to steer them in the right direction and my conscious won't let me pawn off the undesirables on them. 

Blanton's that I always miss until I open another, Medley's 10yr that was a good bottle but not worth the $60...

On the last dregs of an Old Fitz 12. I have a few in the bunker but that doesn't mean it's not painful to finish one. 

15 hours ago, dcbt said:

Totally agree with you and Steve.

I'm excited to get back to my bourbon collection, but I also know I've got to be drinking the dogs for quite a while now. At least I'll drink the good ones for a weekend at the Sampler.

Polished off a bottle of OF Sig tonight.  It's the only BF brand that is always readily available in my home...

10 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Polished off a bottle of OF Sig tonight.  It's the only BF brand that is always readily available in my home...

What do you pay for it in the Commonwealth? I like it but it's up to $36 here so I haven't bought one in a long time.

Just now, flahute said:

What do you pay for it in the Commonwealth? I like it but it's up to $36 here so I haven't bought one in a long time.

I can usually find it for $21 and change.  One of the best values around...

Just now, Paddy said:

I can usually find it for $21 and change.  One of the best values around...

That's even lower than I thought! First time I bought it out here it was around $24 and I thought it was a great value. I'd still buy it in the high $20's. I have no idea why it's creeped up so far.

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^The QPR on it sure makes for an easy pass on WR!  :rolleyes:  

Yep. OF Sig is around $21 here in Indiana, too, and it's a regular purchase for me. WR... not so much.

11 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^The QPR on it sure makes for an easy pass on WR!  :rolleyes:  

This comment got me thinking that if OF Sig is $36, than what the heck is WR going for? $30. What the what? Something's clearly wrong here so I checked the website of the other big box store in town that I hardly go to because their prices are generally higher across the board. Their price for OF Sig is $21. Aha! That's what I remember and this prompted my memory to remind me that this is where I purchased my last bottle of this. I've been passing on it at the first store for so long that I forgot where I found it for the normal price in the first place. Now I have a reason to go to that store!

I'm a fan of OF Sig, but the last couple bottles from the same grocery store tasted rather young compared to what I'm used to.  The whiskey guy at a large liquor store agreed with me.  He thought the recent stuff wasn't as good.  I've had funny batches of OWA in the past too, then the next batch was good.  I don't think it's my imagination.  What do you guys think?  

33 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I'm a fan of OF Sig, but the last couple bottles from the same grocery store tasted rather young compared to what I'm used to.  The whiskey guy at a large liquor store agreed with me.  He thought the recent stuff wasn't as good.  I've had funny batches of OWA in the past too, then the next batch was good.  I don't think it's my imagination.  What do you guys think?  

Looks like Steve is back in the OF Sig business!  :lol:

Paul, I agree that it does seem to have some variation from run to run.  But, it's never bad and at times, it can be a great bourbon.  For me, as long as the price stays where it's at, I don't feel that I can really go wrong with this work horse brand... 

It's unseasonably cool so we lit what are likely the last fires of the season this weekend, and 1792 port just seems to align itself with the fire. So another bottle of that hit the recycle tonight.

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

I experienced the same, Paul.  My most recent bottle seemed very young as compared to earlier bottles, as well.  Not even close, really.  Signature has been a favorite value pour for me too, so while I was disappointed in this latest bottle, I'll surely give it another go. 

On March 20, 2016 at 8:52:47 PM, dcbt said:

It's unseasonably cool so we lit what are likely the last fires of the season this weekend, and 1792 port just seems to align itself with the fire. So another bottle of that hit the recycle tonight.

Is 1792 port limited or regular supply and distribution ? 

I never see it here in Minnesota

2 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Is 1792 port limited or regular supply and distribution ? 

I never see it here in Minnesota

It's pretty limited, but supposedly with regular releases to come (but still in limited supply, maybe like ECBP for example).  I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Finished a bottle of 1792 SB. Although it was a good bottle I Don't think I'll buy another. image.thumb.jpeg.705526bc42691817b5b09a4

Last night I finished off a bottle of Blanton's that I picked up last summer.  I have had bottles of Blanton's in the past that were amazing, but this one (my first in a few years)  was not up to the former standard.  I wonder if the heavy demand for BT #2 bourbon has meant that less-impressive barrels are being bottled now.

1 hour ago, chasking said:

Last night I finished off a bottle of Blanton's that I picked up last summer.  I have had bottles of Blanton's in the past that were amazing, but this one (my first in a few years)  was not up to the former standard.  I wonder if the heavy demand for BT #2 bourbon has meant that less-impressive barrels are being bottled now.

Probably, the vagaries of single barrel variation that resulted in one that didn't hit your sweet spot, Chuck.  The last couple I have had have been nothing short of spectacular.  As good as ever, for me, at least.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.