What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a bit of RHF, then some BT, some AE and ER10. All small pours at a friend's house. The port finish on the AE jumped. I liked it well enough but not sure if I could drink multiple pours of it. I have an unopened 1792 port finish at home that I'm curious but not in a hurry to try. 

With a little water and a few minutes time the WLW 134.8 becomes a great pour.  It goes well with coffee.

For some reason, Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star (the 6 year, not the newer aged for at least 36 months bottle)  has been my favorite go to pour in the past few weeks. 

When I saw at the age statement had changed, I immediately scooped up whatever I could find of the old bottles.  Just seems to hit the spot that ETL used to hit, but no longer does. 

Hot one here today (low to mid 90's outside so low 80's in the non-AC house) so it's pours from the pints I keep in the fridge door + a cube of ice.  I will be switching back and forth between my last pours decanter I am trying to kill off (to refill with my BT:OGD114 vatting) and KCSmB.

Edited by fozzy71

HHSS #2 over some ice on this warm evening. Always delicious.

Edited by jeffrey r

Went to my local cigar shop & brought a bottle of Blade and Bow, & a bottle of OGD114.  He brought a bottle of Trails End.  

I enjoyed the Trails End...   We had a good evening. :D

A repeat of yesterday, WLW 134.8 with a few drops of water to help it express itself.  Now on to my coffee and breakfast.

I was at a wedding yesterday.  Open bar, but the only bourbon they had was regular JB.  It had been years.  

Having a neat pour of OGD114.  So nice to not need to drop an ice cube in it or pour from my fridge bottles.  Yesterday I was putting ice in the pours from the fridge. 

First time having HWMWND while on vacation. I don't know what edition as the bottle was too far away but I enjoyed it very much and could see why it is well regarded here on SB. I enjoyed the port finish and was surprised at how it tamed the rye but also complimented it. I won't exert the effort to find a bottle or spend the asking price If I do but am glad to have tried it and enjoyed it. This was one of the whiskies I was looking for on our travels, the others being Teeling single malt and OGDBiB, didn't see either yet but tonight's another night.

9 minutes ago, fozzy71 said:

Having a neat pour of OGD114.  So nice to not need to drop an ice cube in it or pour from my fridge bottles.  Yesterday I was putting ice in the pours from the fridge. 

Hmm... thanks for the tip. 

Started with the ER10 I didn't finish a couple days back.....yuck not the same after sitting in the fridge for that long. Followed by VOB6 and a mix of OGD with a bit of 114 mixed in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Ozark said:

Hmm... thanks for the tip. 

u r welcome?

13 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Started with the ER10 I didn't finish a couple days back.....yuck not the same after sitting in the fridge for that long. Followed by VOB6 and a mix of OGD with a bit of 114 mixed in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I prefer the woodier ~100 proof things in the fridge like my last pours decanter, OGDBIB, EWBIB and even WT101.  I don't think I have ever done ER10/BT type (90 proof) bottles in the fridge

A little Barrell #006 and 4R EOSO 12 year store pick...amongst others.

Really like 4R, part of "cult" I guess?  IMO they just put out really solid products at a reasonable price point and also being available.  Really like their rye content percentages too.

Went over to a buddy's place for dinner with the wife.  My buddy is very into bourbon/whiskey as well.  We had decided to do a Barrel Proof Sunday tasting.  I took ECBP (Batch 8), SAOS10SB CS, Booker's (Maw Maw), and decided to bend/break the rules a bit and take my recently acquired KC2001.  We did several side-by-side small-pour comparisons.  The comparisons weren't so much to pick a winner, but more to see if we could distinguish a difference.  I'm glad to say, despite both of us having somewhat untrained palates, we could both pull out some definite distinguishing characteristics of each:

SAOS10SB CS vs. SAOS9SB CS "Smooth Dramblers" PS

CEHTBP vs. Stagg, Jr. (not sure which batch my buddy has)

KC2001 Batch 2 (my bottle) vs. KC2001 Batch 3 (his bottle)

Then, with dessert, we each had a pour of my buddy's Glenmorangie Signet and JDSBBP (his bottle, which is from the same barrel as mine).  This wasn't a comparison so much, but I'd never had the Signet, which is incredible, and we were having frozen, chocolate-covered bananas for dessert so the JDSBBP was a good match.

Now that I'm home, I'm having a hefty pour of the ECBP as a nightcap.  It was a good evening with some great friends and some pretty excellent whiskey.

HH BIB 6yr tonight, I am envious of all you lucky bastards that can get it regularly.

Had a few fingers of RHF last night watching GoT - Arya for the win!   :lol:

8 hours ago, Fort Knox said:

........and we were having frozen, chocolate-covered bananas for dessert so the JDSBBP was a good match.

This reminds me I have 2 of these in the freezer I made (vegan style with coconut oil, agave, and cacao), and 2 more frozen to cover in chocolate, I forgot about.

In Louisville for the Bourbon Affair and having dinner at Charr'd, the hotel restaurant. Having a pour of their private barrel of OWA for $9 and it's fantastic. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.