What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Spring/Summer 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It sure do.  No cigar here, but out in the garage listening to the Braves on the radio while sippin' a CB Hedonism.

I was gifted a bottle of JW Gold Label Reserve for Christmas that has seemed fairly pedestrian to me, since.  Tonight, it still does not wow me, but there is a nice creaminess to it that I failed to recognize earlier.  Also, the finish has a nice lasting old leather/polished oak/dried flowers, thing going on.  My opinion of this whiskey has definitely improved this go 'round .

I love it when the different buttons on my palate decide to turn themselves "on ", and even when they  shut themselves "off ".  It keeps things wonderfully interesting.

On 4/12/2016 at 10:52 PM, smokinjoe said:

I was gifted a bottle of JW Gold Label Reserve for Christmas that has seemed fairly pedestrian to me, since.  Tonight, it still does not wow me, but there is a nice creaminess to it that I failed to recognize earlier.  Also, the finish has a nice lasting old leather/polished oak/dried flowers, thing going on.  My opinion of this whiskey has definitely improved this go 'round .

I love it when the different buttons on my palate decide to turn themselves "on ", and even when they  shut themselves "off ".  It keeps things wonderfully interesting.

We (SWMBO and I) got to try the JW Gold at the Colonial Club sponsored by JW at our local PGA tour stop.  Their "Ambassador"  brought out chocolate mousse and flourless chocolate cake with a very chilled dram of the Gold.  WOW, what a wonderful pairing - chilled JW Gold and anything chocolate (he says)!  Might be the "creaminess"  you noted earlier?  Not sure if it's enough of a good thing to justify buying a bottle but might be a great combination for a chocolate dessert on a night out.  JMHO.    ;)  

While doing a little planning on what to bring to the Sampler, I got to wondering if Stu and Bernadette are going to make it this year. Thinking of Stu got me thinking of Old Pulteney (his recommendation to me a few years ago) so I poured myself a couple fingers of the 21yr. Always enjoyable!

This may be a stupid question, but when people say they poured "a couple fingers," is that in a Glencairn or a rocks glass?  (also assuming it's neat) There's a huge difference in the amount of sauce being consumed.  When I refer to a couple of fingers, its usually a neat pour in standard rocks glass because most people don't even know what a Glencairn is.

On topic - last night was Balvenie 21 Portwood and opened a  Hazelburn 10 R & K which was surprisingly mellow and smooth

I tend to use a Glencairn or other somewhat funnel shaped glass for tasting but often go to a more open rocks glass for general imbibing. I particularly like the smaller High West heavy bottomed single old fashioned glass rather than a bigger double old fashioned style unless I am using a large cube or ice ball, which is rare when drinking a whiskey neat as opposed to a cocktail of some sort. So "two fingers" is probably pretty similar between the HW glass and the typical Glencairn for me.

With most of the space in the bottom part of the glass Glencairns, at about 6 ounces capacity if filled to the top, are a bit surprising in how much they can hold. They are well past half full long before they look like they are half full!

Arran 10 Year last evening.  On its face, 46%, NCF and Natural Color for less than $50, yes please.  Decent age at 10 years old.  Very good stuff IMO--fruit, vanilla, a little spice.  Now I'll need to pick up the 14 year and some of their other offerings.

23 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

With most of the space in the bottom part of the glass Glencairns, at about 6 ounces capacity if filled to the top, are a bit surprising in how much they can hold. They are well past half full long before they look like they are half full!

I may need to rethink my consumption :blink:

After a short bourbon tasting, introduced my wife's cousin to some premium blends:  2015 CB Flaming Heart and Not a Luxury.  He's had some single malts and value blends before, and wanted to let him try some stuff he might not get a chance to back home (sounds like the selection in Tulsa, OK is limited - and he's only a couple of years out of college, so at least those wouldn't have fit into my budget at that time!)  He geeked out over the TINALW card that shows the component breakdown.  I couldn't have been more proud :)

Springbank 12 CS followed by Glenfarclas 105/10 y/o, both with a little ice, while watching hockey last night.  I love Game 7s!

Finishing up with CB Great King St Artist's Blend.  

Kilkerran WIP 7 bourbon cask strength. Perfect spring dram.... Well, perfect regardless of the season. ;)

Hazelburn Rundlets & Kilderkins 10 yr. - another recent purchase that's really really good.  This may be one of the best 10 year olds I've had.  Wish I could find the Springbank version, but it's long gone.

21 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Hazelburn Rundlets & Kilderkins 10 yr. - another recent purchase that's really really good.  This may be one of the best 10 year olds I've had.  Wish I could find the Springbank version, but it's long gone.

Yes, I would have liked to try the Springer R&K as well. Have both the Longrow and Hazelburn version but never got a sniff of the Springbank version.

Finished the last pour from a 2015 Flaming Heart last night.  Tasty to the last drop!

Nikka From the Barrel last night.  The Sherry influence was stronger than I remembered last night.  Maybe it was my palate. 

Haven't been on in a while - thank goodness for Tapatalk & the good admins for resetting my account.

Now to think about something suitable to pour...

For my first pour back, this one is in honor of P_Elliot (MaltBarn Caol Ila 19 1995 - 52.8%)

26708793600_0e90c02c70_z.jpg

Edited by ChainWhip

Didn't know you before but I certainly welcome you back.  

That looks like some great Scotch.  Looks like it may have been your first pour from the bottle.  How was it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.