What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Spring/Summer 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kind of a special day so I splurged on Compass Box This Is Not A Luxury Whisky.  Fantastic.

A nip of Ardbeg Uigeadail to hopefully provide a little relief to a sore throat I picked up from my daughter.  Still, there's a bit of sherry in here, so this'll have to do as a toast to little Macallan until I have a chance to pull out a more refined old sherry beast to properly send him off.

Clynelish 14. I do love this... though it seems like Talisker without the peat... hmm.. 

Cheers all!

Interesting. I have not made the Clynelish/Talisker connection. In addition to peat there seems to be more briny character to Talisker and a more rich taste for lack of a better description versus the lighter and rather unique waxy character of Clynelish. The two are probably paired together (along with many other malts) in some of the many Johnnie Walker blends.

Finally got around to opening this Springbank bottling from the cage in the Cadenhead store in Campbeltown. Plenty of rich sherry notes and seems like a particularly mature whisky for "only" 12 years. Basically picked it because it was about the darkest bottle in the cage at the time (which was unfortunately a bit picked over when I was there last fall). The typical Springbank moderate amount of peat is pretty well in the background in this one but is probably contributing to the depth of the flavor.

Springbank sherry cage 1.JPGSpringbank sherry cage 2.JPG.

32 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Interesting. I have not made the Clynelish/Talisker connection. In addition to peat there seems to be more briny character to Talisker and a more rich taste for lack of a better description versus the lighter and rather unique waxy character of Clynelish. The two are probably paired together (along with many other malts) in some of the many Johnnie Walker blends.

I may need to revisit Talisker to do some more 'in depth' analysis but the two are very familiar, and not in a bad way.

Gonna order some Talisker right now!

On 7/6/2016 at 8:54 AM, BigRich said:

IMG_0961.JPG

This little guy left us yesterday morning four months shy of his 12th birthday. He was a great friend and about as ornery as you could imagine at one time or another. I guess only a brain tumor could get him down.

I knew I wanted to name him after a malt distillery and I chose Macallan because it worked as a name, not for any favoritism toward the whisky. Even still, my wife and I raised drams of Macallan Sherry 18 in his honor last night. I will miss you little guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear this Rich.  Keeping you and the family in our thoughts, and I'll be pouring some Mac CS tonight (as Macallan always struck me as a cask-strength kinda pooch).  

Pouring a 1990/2014 Balblair.  This one is very heavily sherried.  Out of character for them, but delicious nonetheless.  Thoughts are toward all who have lost furry companions.

Yes, I'm posting in the scotch tasting forum. :o I met Vosgar and a couple of other buddies for a semi regular spirit tasting/cigar night at a local restaurant. On the spirits menu tonight was Compass Box. I must say that I was quite surprised, in a good way. I tried three of the 5 bottlings available. I liked the Asyla. Hedonism was even a bit better. The one I liked most of all was the Oak Cross. I passed on the Peat Monster and Orangerie. In my very limited experience regarding scotches, I'd have to say that if I were to purchase a bottle of scotch right now, it would be the Oak Cross. Pretty tasty stuff. It was a fun night with good friends, good drinks and some cigars. It doesn't get much better than that. :D

Cheers! Joe

As much as I like Compass Box I have to say Orangerie is one of my least favorite bottles, not just of CB but of scotch in general. I don't know if you would care for peat or not but Peat Monster is a nice solid example of a clean moderately heavy peated whisky.

Of the basic Signature Range the Spice Tree might be my top pick but Oak Cross is pretty similar. It is the same, or very similar, basic whisky to start with. Both are "vatted" malts (3 different single malts blended together, which used to be called vatted malt but is now officially called a blended malt). The difference is in the barrel management where Spice Tree gets a greater variety of hybrid barrels. Might be worth a try if the opportunity presents itself! 

I tried a little blending experiment last night that yielded interesting results.  I poured some Tobermory 10 into a glass, then added a splash of Ardbeg Uigeadail and a splash of Lagavulin 8 (splash is a metric unit reserved for the most scientific of tests).  With the addition of the more strongly flavored whiskies to cover up the less pleasant aspects of Tobermory, the blend took on a nice silky texture and really meshed well.  It was like drinking melted vanilla ice cream with swirled of smoked chocolate, all sprinkled with sea salt.  I wouldn't do it on a regular basis because I really prefer drinking the other two single malts separately, but I can see why Tobermory is attractive blend fodder.

Talisker Storm tonight. The weather in England has been terrible, so a peated winter warmer is going down well...

Popped a Hazelburn 10 this evening. Dangerously drinkable. Fresh, fruity and has a spicy kick to it. Perfect summer dram.

Cheers all!

G&M Connoisseur's Choice Clynelish 11, 1999/2011.  They really do (did?) seem to select casks for this series based on the profile of the old Clynelish distillery, aka Brora.  Really worth looking out for.  The nose is especially old school.

It's raining in Phoenix, so I think that's a good reason to go with a nice pour of Lagavulin Distillers Edition.  ;)

Opened a bottle of Macallan Edition No. 1 last night.  I enjoyed it.  A nice, well balanced sherried Scotch with a little extra punch from the higher proof (96).  Added a small ice cube and it was quite good.  I think Edition No. 2 is coming out soon and I will probably pick up a bottle of that as well.

Yamazaki 12 this evening. It's a bottle I paid relatively little for and I hate how good it is because I'd probably buy another at the latest price too. Top dram.

Yamazaki 12 this evening. It's a bottle I paid relatively little for and I hate how good it is because I'd probably buy another at the latest price too. Top dram.

I don't know if I'd pay asking price for it, but I sure do like it when my buddy stops by with his bottle

2 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I don't know if I'd pay asking price for it, but I sure do like it when my buddy stops by with his bottle

Tried the Yamazaki 12 tonight for the first time.  Really interesting.  I haven't tasted a whiskey that is similar to be honest.  I thought it drank a little hot.  I don't think I'd drop the $100 on it I've seen some places.  On the other hand...it is good stuff.

Pretty basic for me tonight: Glendronach 12 and Bushmills Black Bush.  Really liking the Glendronach, compared to the Macallan 12.  Bushmills Black Bush I highly recommend as a "holy crap, it's pretty cheap and pretty damn good" Irish whiskey.

6 hours ago, fenderbender4 said:

Tried the Yamazaki 12 tonight for the first time.  Really interesting.  I haven't tasted a whiskey that is similar to be honest.  I thought it drank a little hot.  I don't think I'd drop the $100 on it I've seen some places.  On the other hand...it is good stuff.

I did a sbs alongside anCnoc 16 as my memory had them as similar, but wasn't the case. Yamazaki was indeed hotter and was much oakier on the nose, but both pleasantly so. 

I'm trying to finish off some bottles of Scotch to make room on the bookcase (aka my bar) for new ones. Last night I dug into the Bowmore Devil's Casks batch 1 that I've had open since it came out. It's possible I've had it open a little too long because the peat seemed very sooty last night, more than I would have liked, and the sherry seemed more muted that I remember. Another half a bottle to go on this one!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.