What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Spring/Summer 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A little GKS Glasgow tonight with a Prensado. I'm revisiting this because it is the only Compass Box Whiskey that I haven't cared for. It's been quite a few months so I'm giving it another go.

18ed20ad6502d2acf37d36deb46fa78a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yes that is my princess cup with water in it.

11 hours ago, BigRich said:

Well THAT part was a given (maybe not the water part), but more importantly - how did the GKS fare this go around?  

I am sad to admit that I have the same cup in my house. And I have used it for water.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I am sad to admit that I have the same cup in my house. And I have used it for water.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Real men drink from a mutha$&@%ing princess cup!

Well THAT part was a given (maybe not the water part), but more importantly - how did the GKS fare this go around?  

Well...it wasn't as off putting as before but the Prensado kind of overpowered it so really just came across as thin. More investigation is required...for the sake of science.

8 hours ago, BigRich said:

Real men drink from a mutha$&@%ing princess cup!

Yeah!  What he said! :D

21 yr K&L Faultline Longmorn paired with The Little Mermaid...

image.jpg

Hot day today, so it seemed perfect for a scotch and soda using my own home blend scotch. I typically sip that home blend after a single malt or two, but it played pretty well with the soda too!

11 hours ago, BigRich said:

Well...it wasn't as off putting as before but the Prensado kind of overpowered it so really just came across as thin. More investigation is required...for the sake of science.

Appreciate you taking one for the team . . . you know . . . for science :) 

I'm enjoying some 20012 Flaming Heart - with no higher calling other than it is getting low, and I should make room for another 2015 Flaming Heart :D

I chose to fill my glencairn last night with Ardbeg Uigeadail.  It is really heartening to have found a good batch of it after two duds (for me) in a row.  Getting the MoCo sale price of $60 for it didn't hurt at all, either.  Then again, Lagavulin 16 is $59 down there when it is on sale.  Too bad I haven't run across anymore Lag DE on clearance for $50, because I'm clearly enjoying my sherried peaters as of late.

I chose to fill my glencairn last night with Ardbeg Uigeadail.  It is really heartening to have found a good batch of it after two duds (for me) in a row.  Getting the MoCo sale price of $60 for it didn't hurt at all, either.  Then again, Lagavulin 16 is $59 down there when it is on sale.  Too bad I haven't run across anymore Lag DE on clearance for $50, because I'm clearly enjoying my sherried peaters as of late.

It's even more heartening to see your devotion to finding a good batch after two duds. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of "new" Ardbeg but if I didn't stop buying Oogie after one bad batch I certainly would've stopped after two consecutive bad batches.

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

It's even more heartening to see your devotion to finding a good batch after two duds. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of "new" Ardbeg but if I didn't stop buying Oogie after one bad batch I certainly would've stopped after two consecutive bad batches.

I gave it about 3 years before giving it another shot.  The previous two attempts were due to my belief that Ralfy was pretty impartial.  Figured I got a weak batch the first time.  Now that I know better about Ralfy and trust my own palate, I gave it another chance simply because I had read it had improved markedly over the past couple years from sources that I do trust. 

7 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I gave it about 3 years before giving it another shot.  The previous two attempts were due to my belief that Ralfy was pretty impartial.  Figured I got a weak batch the first time.  Now that I know better about Ralfy and trust my own palate, I gave it another chance simply because I had read it had improved markedly over the past couple years from sources that I do trust. 

I tried Uigeadail last night and thought it was one of the best scotches I've had. I went out and bought my own bottle today.

38 minutes ago, Theiano said:

I tried Uigeadail last night and thought it was one of the best scotches I've had. I went out and bought my own bottle today.

When Ardbeg is on, they produce really fine whisky.  It can taste very good to excellent at almost any age, which is really the magic of Islay malts in my mind.  Islays taste great young and can age with the best of 'em.

Glendronach 12.  Really liking it.  I can see where some might prefer Macallan 12, but to me it's almost a no-brainer given the price difference and the savory notes I detect in Glendronach.  

Out of curiosity, has anyone had the 18 (Allardice) or 21 (Parliament)?  Yay/nay?

Glendronach 12.  Really liking it.  I can see where some might prefer Macallan 12, but to me it's almost a no-brainer given the price difference and the savory notes I detect in Glendronach.  

Out of curiosity, has anyone had the 18 (Allardice) or 21 (Parliament)?  Yay/nay?

Loved both the Allardice and Parliament

Had a pour of G&M CC Clynelish, followed by a pour of Lagavulin 8.  The Clynelish has morphed significantly since I opened it.  Last night it tasted much older than its 11 years, but had morphed into a meaty, fruity beast.  Reminded me of the last BB&R Mortlach I had open.  Odd, if pleasant.  Could have just been the taste buds though.  Lag 8 is down to just over half a bottle, and is really holding up well.  Generally tasted the same as the day I opened it.  

Old Pulteney 17. Apparently it's National Scotch Day. Would be rude not to.

5 hours ago, beasled said:

Apparently it's National Scotch Day. Would be rude not to.

Once I heard this, went with some cask strength Cadenhead's and a private selection Tomatin.

Kicked off Friday with some Collingwood 21yr Rye.  Sticking with the lower proofs, moved to Balvenie 12DW before HP12.  A big selling point I often forget about lower proof pours:  More can be enjoyed before the room starts tilting :) 

Edited by darylld911

Starting the night off with G&M Clynelish 11 again.  It's sort of in between the smell and tastes extremes I've noted previously.  So pretty darn good.

Had a great opportunity to try Macallan 25 yr the other night. 

What a great whisky it is, but at a price tag of 1,500.00 for a 750ml I will never get a chance to purchase it. 

Personaly I would rather purchase 5 or 6 bottles of the 18 yr instead. 

3 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Had a great opportunity to try Macallan 25 yr the other night. 

What a great whisky it is, but at a price tag of 1,500.00 for a 750ml I will never get a chance to purchase it. 

Personaly I would rather purchase 5 or 6 bottles of the 18 yr instead. 

Did this exact comparison last week, funnily enough. The 25 has that depth of richness in the sherry that is clearly absent from the 18 (reminiscent of the old Ben Nevis 25 cask strengths). But... I liked that the 18 still had some good spirit-drive in it that makes it super drinkable.

Truth be told, they both taste a LOT more alike than not and neither are worth anywhere near the current MSRP's. I would buy case(s) of Glendronach before going for a 25. 

ZsBWp0T.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.