What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2016

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for the good feedback, much appreciated.  Sounds like it will be right down my alley, I think I will keep my eye out for a good deal then. Or maybe santa will be good to me this year  : )

Saw a bottle of Larceny for $19.99. It came home with me.;)

I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason, my plan to buy less and drink down my bunker just doesn't seem to be working out quite like I planned. :unsure:

Cheers! Joe

44 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason, my plan to buy less and drink down my bunker just doesn't seem to be working out quite like I planned. :unsure:

Cheers! Joe

If Larceny is ever up in MN, for $19.99 I don't think I could pass it up.  Like, ever.

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cheers! Joe

Too bad you live in the next state, otherwise I could come by and give you some pointers.

KC2001 @ $129  and BT Experimental UV 1 of 2 @ $50.    We'll see how these go down.

In Port Chester NY on business. Stopped in BevMax and found two bottles of ECBP release 9 at $59.66 each.  I could not help myself...

4 Roses OESO and family size BT both store selections from the nice folks in Tallahassee.

8 hours ago, fenderbender4 said:

If Larceny is ever up in MN, for $19.99 I don't think I could pass it up.  Like, ever.

I agree fender. I wish we had Larceny in Mn. 

21 hours ago, ccleve23 said:

Old Fitz 12 for me today. 

How?!?!? Where?!?! What?!?!

Got a great deal on the most recent Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof at my local USAF AFB Class Six store -  (132.4 proof) at $49.80 each out the door!  So, got two bottles (all they had)...It goes without saying that I'm a happy camper.

JDBP_zpsajl8t5my.jpg

Stagg Jr. arrived at my favorite neighborhood shop—$54.98, which seemed reasonable to me. Last time I tasted it was well over a year ago, and I loved it then, so since the consensus seems to be that it keeps getting better with each batch I figured I oughta grab a bottle. Too bad I can't open it until I kill at least one or two others; way too many open bottles right now.  :)

Since I passed on a LE today, I had to dry my tears with a bottle of OWA instead.

For the first time in about a year, I bought  a 750ml of Larceny. I didn't care much for it last year but today, it certainly was drinkable. Whether it belongs in the top 20 bourbons as suggested by the neck tag can be debated. At $23 for a bottle, it seems priced a little bit high but Costco caries the 1.75L bottles for less than $40 which can be more persuasive when considering a jug. I'll have to get to the bottom of things before I pull out the ol' Visa card again.

1 hour ago, elmossle said:

Since I passed on a LE today, I had to dry my tears with a bottle of OWA instead.

That's a good value proposition. I'm also having a hard time with the price of the KC2001.

Kings County Barrel Strength Straight Bourbon. It's not cheap per ounce ($25 for a 200ml bottle) but I do like the smaller bottle. I don't think I would have sprung for a 375ml or 750ml bottle at a proportional price.

Picked up a couple staples - Knob Creek and Rare Breed. Also grabbed a Booker's 2016-01. It made the Whiskey Advocate Summer Buying guide top ten so I told myself to grab one if I saw one, and voila, there it was.  

Have been trying to limit my purchases lately, but couldn't resist stopping by my favorite local shop today just to see if they had anything new/different in stock.  "Probably won't be anything to buy" I said to myself...

Checking out the bourbon and for a while all I'm seeing is the store's normal offerings (actually a very nice selection).  But then my eyes catch a lone bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Ten!  Here's something I haven't seen in these parts until now, and this one is going to have to go home with me!  So I keep scanning the shelves just to make sure I'm not missing anything and whoa, what's that...  Pikesville Rye!  Another offering I haven't seen in Mid-MO as of yet!

So I've got these bottles in my hands, heading to check out and there sitting on the case next to the check out counter are 2 bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof!  Yet another bourbon that I have yet to see around here.  So one of these ECBP is going home with me and the other is left for the next bourbon lover who happens by.

But now I'm going to have to make a choice...  I can swing the ECBP and one of the other two.  So which to take home...  The Smooth Ambler OSTen or the Pikesville Rye?!  Eventually after some thought I decided on the SAOSTen and left a happy man!

Now I'm thinking I might have to swing back by later this week and see if the Pikesville is still needing a good home!

Just saw a couple bottles of Henry McKenna Single Barrel in the PA state store. I used to have to smuggle the stuff in from DE. I haven't done that in years now, since my friend who used to live in DE relocated to PA, and we always used his car for the little errand, since people tend to take notice of cars in front of a liquor store wearing a neighboring state's plates...

Currently sipping some whilst enjoying a couple of cigars. This stuff is a lot drier and spicier than I remember-- did HH tweak the formula in the last few years?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Picked these up today:

Hancock's President's Reserve Single Barrel (88.9 Proof)
Bulleit Frontier (10 Yr. Old) Small Batch (91.2 Proof)

Picked up a bottle of Col. E.H. Taylor 'Seasoned Wood' held for me by my favorite retailer.    (Didn't mark it up either..."state minumum" price.)   I spoke briefly with a youngish fellow who was also there picking up his bottle of EHT SW.

He confided in a whisper that the secondary market would get us about $300 for these bottles.    I gently corrected him, offering that anybody who would give me $300 for an empty bottle of anything was probably an asshole; but, even so, that I'd break the bottle before selling to anybody to flip.    He confided that he'd meant they might be sold full for that price.    I again re-iterated that my bottle would only leave my possession once it was empty; that I only buy 'em to drink or share 'em. 

Whereupon he said something like; "Oh. Well sure."

I'm anxious to compare it to past and current EHT offerings with the more traditional (rye) mashbill.

I'll probably open it and give it at least a preliminary taste tomorrow or Saturday.    I'll post my initial impressions on the 'What have you opened...' thread.

I put a bottle of the CEHT SW on the Gazebo table and later over on the West Wing at the GN and it barely got touched. I was a bit surprised.

Although there were several floating around so maybe that is why.

Oh well, more for me I suppose!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.