What bourbon did you pass up? Spring 2016

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed on Michter's 10yr for $130 (and the 10yr rye for $150). Jefferson's for $69. Ezra Brooks 12yr for $60. And, EHT Small Batch for $50.

It's just amazing how much money is being asked for average bourbons these days. (Some of the above are better than average of course, but not at those prices.)

passed on Barrel Bourbon Batch 5.  Still can't seem to bring myself to pull the trigger on this stuff at $85.

Passed on Blood Oath Pact #2 at $90-something and Forged Oak at $69 I think?  MSRP prices in NC, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Yellowstone Limited Edition for $115...not impressed with the reviews even for a much cheaper price.

Col. E. H. Taylor Straight Rye @ $60.  Just can't reach my wallet with this one since Pikesville (yeah, I know it's not the same) is only $44!   B)

that is not a "bad" price for the CEHT Rye.  I usually see it for $65+ around these parts.

Similar to GeeTen passed on CEHT Rye but at $100.  Decided Blantons was a better route.

Edited by ferryjef
Autocorrect

6 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Passed on CEHT Seasoned Wood at $199.95 in Charleston last weekend.

That's an easy pass!  Based on the reviews I've been seeing, not sure I'd even pay retail.

Saw that my Total Wine just received their allotment of 9 yr Dickel Store Select Single Barrel 103.  They want $56.99.  Pass for now.

Has anyone tried this?

Barterhouse for $99.99 at K&L. Was $72.99 last time they had it in stock. (I passed on it then, too.)

2 hours ago, chuckhammer said:

Saw that my Total Wine just received their allotment of 9 yr Dickel Store Select Single Barrel 103.  They want $56.99.  Pass for now.

Has anyone tried this?

Here's a link to one thread of discussion...

Passed on MM  Anerican Pharoah 1 Ltr at $74.99.      Kind of a hokie looking bottle in my opinion.  

5 hours ago, chuckhammer said:

Has anyone tried this?

Yes, I'm on my second bottle of it.  It's an excellent whiskey with a unique taste and was well worth the $36 I paid.  I'm not seeing it anywhere but one shop in town, and my understanding is you don't get it unless the store does a barrel selection.  Over $50 it becomes a different thing entirely and I'm buying Blantons or Booker's at that price.  I also have a bottle of the 14 year juice but haven't opened it yet.

2 hours ago, $helby said:

Passed on MM  Anerican Pharoah 1 Ltr at $74.99.      Kind of a hokie looking bottle in my opinion.  

I heard about this one coming last week and I'm pretty sure that it's just regular MM in a special bottle for $34 extra.

Went into a store into Little 5 here in Atlanta. They had several "allocated bottles" for sale

Michters 10 - $300

ETC - $80

PVW 20 - $1200

Baby Saz - $70

Barterhouse - $130

Upon seeing that I passed on an EC 12 for $34

I refused to buy anything out of there. 

Thanks for the feedback on the store selection 9 yr Dickel, gents.  Based on that I'll be skipping it unless the price drops to at least 40.  In other words, for a very long time.

OWA for $60, Barterhouse for $200....

And I thought you had to go to Bardstown to get rolled with the bourbon tourists...

passed on Stagg Jr batch 5, CEHT SmB and barrel bourbon batch 4 all at MSRP.  trying to be good and not buy as much.

Passed up an orphan barrel forged oak.  Was tempting at 75......but I'm not ready to drop that much on a bottle yet.  

Passed on OWA for  $79.99 and ETL for  $99.99 at a small store in Louisville today. They also had several limited bottles on a  shelf behind the counter but I didn't bother to ask. :rolleyes:

I passed on a Van Winkle 12 year a couple weeks ago for...... wait for it...... $699. Haha. That's more than secondary prices for an average bourbon. I do not get the hype associated with the 12 year. 

Passed on Lock Stock & Barrel @ $99.99.  Bought a Rock Hill Farms for $$43.99 OTD, instead.  But I think I paid $39.99 for a RHF last year - price creep, perhaps?   :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.