What bourbon did you pass up? Spring 2016

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on Michter's Barrel Strength Rye for $100. I was tempted. I've heard tell of some great batches. But I've also heard of some meh batches. The old me would have not been deterred by that. The new me is closer to bourbon (and rye) zen and is now able to resist such temptation. Also, I hate Michter's.

I have seen Templeton and Tin Cup everywhere lately.  There seems to be an endless supply.  I guess if you can ask $30 for what should be a $10 bottle, there's a big incentive to keep it on shelves. :P

Might also be a lot on the shelf because no one is buying it!

One can always hope... :wacko:

Passed on FRSiB on sale for $31.88 . . . already have backups in the basement.

2 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I keep passing on Bulliet barrel proof, but I am tempted...

Nah, just buy a FR private select instead....

1 minute ago, dcbt said:

Nah, just buy a FR private select instead....

That's what I keep telling myself, but the evil devil on my other shoulder keeps reminding me that it's under $50!!:huh:

21 minutes ago, Paddy said:

That's what I keep telling myself, but the evil devil on my other shoulder keeps reminding me that it's under $50!!:huh:

Yea, that is kind of strange.  Not sure I can think of another NDP that is cheaper than its source.

Saw a Yamazaki Sherry Cask for $299. Am I crazy or is that supposed to be $2999?

7 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Saw a Yamazaki Sherry Cask for $299. Am I crazy or is that supposed to be $2999?

I've seen three in retail stores recently.  Depending on the year, they were offered @ $2199 to $2899.  Were they selling just the cask?:D

56 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

$299 was somewhere around the original retail price as I recall. If that is really the current price, and that is your thing, one might want to grab it as soon as possible. Next time you see the bottle it might well be $2999.

Edited by tanstaafl2

6 hours ago, jcal1985 said:

Rhetoric 22 @ $129. Just couldn't do it.

I passed on the same thing for $109.  I haven't bought a single orphan barrel.

I passed on the Rhetoric 22 too.  Haven't felt compelled to buy the vertical, although I do have an unopened Rhetoric 20 in the cabinet.  Also passed on Blood Oath.  If I'm going to spend too much on whiskey, it will be the Bookers Rye when it comes out.  And I still haven't decided on that one, but at least I appreciate its provenance.

While I can understand others interest in the orphan barrels,  I just haven't been interested myself. I guess I am more interested in orphan bottles than orphan barrels. 

I passed on the opportunity to buy a Maker's Mark Private Selection.  The price seemed reasonable compared to what I have seen on the Internet  - $59.99.

Not sure why I wasn't interested.  I have been interested in MM46 cask strength which is what this really seems to be.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

While I can understand others interest in the orphan barrels,  I just haven't been interested myself. I guess I am more interested in orphan bottles than orphan barrels. 

I passed on the opportunity to buy a Maker's Mark Private Selection.  The price seemed reasonable compared to what I have seen on the Internet  - $59.99.

Not sure why I wasn't interested.  I have been interested in MM46 cask strength which is what this really seems to be.

Did it say which stave treatment it got? The 46 treatment is one of the options for these but there are others. I have no idea how different they can be from standard MM46CS though.

Passed up on an ecbp at 46, already have a couple in the bunker. And Rhetoric 22 at 93.....not ready to spend that much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Passed on KC2001 today at $139 + tax. As I said in the announcement thread - nope, nope, nope.

Also passed on everything else, I guess. And it felt wonderful doing so.

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Did it say which stave treatment it got? The 46 treatment is one of the options for these but there are others. I have no idea how different they can be from standard MM46CS though.

It said 6 baked American Oak and 4 seared French Oak. I read in the press release that there are over 1000 options.  I wondered the same thing about how it compares to MM46 other than being higher proof.  I am not certain how noticeable slight variations in the finishing would be. 

9 weeks finishing doesn't seem like a long time. I am also curious as to whether the retailer selects the barrel and then the finishing.  It is conceivable that a great barrel could become average based on the finishing. 

Passed up 3 bottles of Stagg Jr at $69.99 each here in Florida. 

I definitely enjoy that stuff, but not at that price point.

Passed on Michter 10 year rye and bourbon.  The price was $106.  I wasnt interested in the bourbon but I might have paid $50 for the rye.

Also, passed on Yippee-ki-yay for $54.

Also passed on a Michter's Toasted Barrel.

Liked my last one, but done with Michter's after their behavior against Stoll and Wolfe.

Ran across a bottle of IW Harper 15 at an out of town store I stopped into last night. Seemed a little steep at $79.99 so I passed. 

JDSB BP jumped up to $67.99 and was, sadly, a pass at that price.:wacko:

The glass is half full however, as I did manage a few of these when they were priced in the low 50's.  :P

Passed on the latest Blood Oath release. Tasted the first one and thought it was horrible, so it was an easy decision.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.