What bourbon did you pass up? Spring 2016

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1792 Single Barrel has shown up and they want $63 for it. No thank you.

Passed on a Knob Creek 2001. I would have been tempted if it were closer to $100... of course it probably wouldn't be on the shelf long enough for me to grab one if the price were lower.

Passed on blood oath pact 1 and 2. They had one pact one left next to the 2. 99.99 for each. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1792 Single Barrel has shown up and they want $63 for it. No thank you.

Just snagged one for 31.99. Haven't had it before but sounds like it's worth a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Just snagged one for 31.99. Haven't had it before but sounds like it's worth a shot.

Is this standard proof?  I haven't seen any of the 1792 special releases in Indy.  Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.  The full proof sounds the best but I seemed to recall the SB was a slightly higher proof than the standard offering.

Is this standard proof?  I haven't seen any of the 1792 special releases in Indy.  Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.  The full proof sounds the best but I seemed to recall the SB was a slightly higher proof than the standard offering.

I believe it was 98 proof or so. Have to double check later.

Passed on some Michter 10 this afternoon. While I have heard really good things about some of the past bottlings, I am not so sure they didn't start heading down hill a little. If it was closer to $100 I would give it a go, but ever at retail of $120, it was an easy pass for me.

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Regular 1792 - 93.75 pf (a rather odd number it would seem)

1792 "Single Barrel" - 98.6 pf

1792 "Full Proof" - 125 pf (rather than doing it as a true "barrel proof" they have chosen to dilute down to the presumed original barrel entry proof for some reason and call it "full proof". Maybe the next gimmick will be a true barrel proof)

KC2001 @ $150, ETL @ $60 and a SAOS BS 102 proof at $48. I found a ECBP at $50 and called it a good night. 

I passed on a 1792 Full Proof for $48.  Haven't seen any reviews yet and the wife spent too much $ shopping today so I decided to get 2 bottles for that price. EC and JB BIB

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:32 PM, Paddy said:

I keep passing on Bulliet barrel proof, but I am tempted...

I don't get the Bulleit popularity. I've tried it a couple of times and didn't care for it. Plus, I'm simply opposed to them on principle. They are  marketing geniuses however. 

Recently passed on Knob Creek 2001 and Blood Oath. The former is probably good but simply overpriced. The latter is an overpriced "Hype Whiskey" as I  call them.

Also passed on Stagg Jr @ $55 because I can normally find it for $46.

Passed on an ocean of NDP offerings at the big box store. Every time I go in they have new ones I've never seen before. Where in the heck is all this bulk whiskey coming from? I thought all the majors were tapped out and unable to keep up with demand.

Passed on EH Taylor barrel proof and single barrel. I did pick up a small batch. 

passed on a Stagg Jr batch 6 I think, 132.5 proof for $55.  I just bought batch 4 & 5 so figured I should drink those first.  Also came across some CEHT SB, but decided that it's not worth it for $65.

Still passing on Bulleit BP.  Also passed on Barrel Bourbon 006, a PS Barrel Bourbon, a PS ER10, a 7 yr SA rye, 10 yr SAOS, and a JDSB BP.  I will admit, they were all tough passes! 

As I type this, I'm still reminding myself that I have at least 5-10 years worth of whiskey bunkered away in my home.  If this is bourbon zen, it sure sucks!  :unsure:

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:21 PM, flahute said:

Passed on an ocean of NDP offerings at the big box store. Every time I go in they have new ones I've never seen before. Where in the heck is all this bulk whiskey coming from? I thought all the majors were tapped out and unable to keep up with demand.

No doubt, I get that too. And the big chain store near me always pushes the stuff (in-state distilled NDPs) over the traditional brands. Obviously they are making more margins on these.

Passed on Elijah Craig NAS.  Had the bottle in my hand, but gave it back to the lady who put it back inside the locked glass door.  Bought a very nice 13-year Speyside instead.

Passed on several at a liquor store on the outskirts of the city....

Rock Hill Farms $74.99

Forged Oak $79.99

Blood Oath Pact 2 $139.99

Colonel E. H. Taylor Single Barrel $74.99

Bulleit 10 yr $54.99

Blantons $74.99

I really want to try the RHF but not at 75 bucks....

7 minutes ago, jcal1985 said:

Passed on several at a liquor store on the outskirts of the city....

Rock Hill Farms $74.99

Forged Oak $79.99

Blood Oath Pact 2 $139.99

Colonel E. H. Taylor Single Barrel $74.99

Bulleit 10 yr $54.99

Blantons $74.99

I really want to try the RHF but not at 75 bucks....

good grief at those prices.  RHF is probably my fave 100 proofer but at $55 state min price here I have only ever bought 1 bottle.

I also passed on Bulleit 10, as well as the Bulleit BP.  I've also been passing on a PS standard 4RSB, but I've got a feeling...that won't last long.;) 

I have been passing on Bowman Brothers small batch lately.  Seems like it has shown up at every liquor store I have been to lately.  Never had it before, so, I will probably grab a bottle of it soon.  I couldn't find much info about it, what do you all think about it?

13 hours ago, Golzee said:

I have been passing on Bowman Brothers small batch lately.  Seems like it has shown up at every liquor store I have been to lately.  Never had it before, so, I will probably grab a bottle of it soon.  I couldn't find much info about it, what do you all think about it?

Many years ago (like, the early 1970s), A.Smith Bowman operated independently in Fairfax County, VA, and put out Virginia Gentleman, a straight 80 proof bourbon which had a label that looked like its current label, and a 90 proofer they called "The Fox" which came in a squat bottle and had a hunting scene on it.  That's when I first started drinking it (and much more Fox than VaG).  ASB moved to Fredericksburg, VA, in the late 1980s, and Saz/BT purchased it in 2002 and runs it as a semiautonomous microdistillery under the direction of Brian Prewitt.  The Fox has since disappeared.  I bought my last bottle of it circa 2002.

Nowadays, ASB gets newly made distillate from BT, REdistills it and barrels it, and ages it at its Fredericksburg distillery (which has a really nice tour, I might add).  The Bowman Brothers SmB supplanted The Fox, or so two different people at the distillery told me on two separate occasions.  As I happen to like basic BT and also like supporting ASB's limited release activities, I do buy the BBSmB from time to time.  I must say, though, I buy more basic BT, which is cheaper, than I do BBSmB even though they do not taste the same.  In sum, buying one bottle won't kill you, and I doubt it'll drift to the back of the shelf.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Uh, this is from memory, not from research . . .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.