Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

I also thought it was Barton.

is Clear Springs a catch-all for any Sazerac bourbon distilled in KY that meets whatever loose specs they require for a bottom shelfer?

• I like it 1

Label says absolutely nothing about it - rare for an honest wheater.
20170526_184302.thumb.jpg.54c7b27022fedd2854c1312f8529912d.jpg

Thinking about it - I'm not sure I've seen wheat mentioned on a bottle other than 1792 Sweet Wheat. Do Larceny, Makers, Wellers, etc say they contain wheat on the label?

8 minutes ago, KrispinD said:

Thinking about it - I'm not sure I've seen wheat mentioned on a bottle other than 1792 Sweet Wheat. Do Larceny, Makers, Wellers, etc say they contain wheat on the label?

Weller definitely does. "The Original Wheated Bourbon".

13 minutes ago, KrispinD said:

The Wellers all say "The Original Wheated Bourbon" on the label front.  The previous Rebel Yell label stated wheated on the back, the "new" revised PC label says nothing.  The Luxco RY website confirms though.  Larceny and OF also require a quick check of the HH website to confirm the "whisper of wheat" instead of rye.  MM and Nicholson 1843 labels state nothing but websites do.  Can't say for the Pappys or ORVs as I can't afford a bottle.   Know I'm leaving some out, but that's what I've got at the moment.  

Which brings us back to Two Stars, for which about the only wheated comment I've found so far on the web appears to be from a "Holiday Inn" expert a few years ago seemingly basing his "confirmation" on the shape of the bottle and how it tastes similar to WSR...  Guess he never saw/heard of Barton/VOB...

Hey, maybe TW's TS is an honest wheater, but they sure aren't making any effort to offically note it - I don't consider hand scribbled sales cards taped to shelves as "official".  Maybe I'll find out a little more tomorrow on the way to the ballgame.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

http://www.bourbonguy.com/blog/2015/8/18/two-stars-bourbon

Here's the review I read from 8/2015 with his quote below.  I don't have access to TW or a desire to try this bourbon, just sighting my source.  ;)

"UPDATE: A previous version of this story incorrectly hypothesized that this bourbon might have been produced at Buffalo Trace. They have reached out to inform me that it is instead made at the company's Barton Distillery in Bardstown, KY. The story has been updated to reflect that change."

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Ok that must of been one of the reviews I read that said Barton. I also believe I read another review where they also referenced Barton and actually kind of liked it.

I still trust Joe over any rando blogger. He might of got a call today saying production moved back to BT.

I was going by the information contained in the previous thread about Two Stars.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12079001000034

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I also thought it was Barton.

is Clear Springs a catch-all for any Sazerac bourbon distilled in KY that meets whatever loose specs they require for a bottom shelfer?

I don't know, but Clear Springs also bottles something called  Stone Hammer Bourbon.

Edited by PaulO
  • I like it 1

TW seems confused on what's limited and allocated and what's not.

Found these on the shelf while these where kept up front and off the shelf. WSR is arguably the most common bourbon in Houston.

11f46e3e777f696fc352176d653ce24f.jpg

4b872f69384683730c644c3b60857c28.jpg

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Found these on the shelf while these where kept up front and off the shelf. WSR is arguably the most common bourbon in Houston.

LOL Nitt. Kinda the same thing here at times. One of my go to stores has VOB BIB on the shelf behind the counter. Heck, it's only $15.99 a bottle here, so I asked why it was behind the counter. Answer: "Well, we only get two or three bottle in at a time." Go figure. :wacko: 

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

Those TW folk are such kidders!   :lol:

Also just found out that the Wine Manager of my old TW store since they opened just up and left abruptly w/o saying anything to anybody.  No wonder they have a tough time keeping educated employees on their staff around here.  Another decent guy shoved out the door, IMHO.   :angry:

• I like it 1

11f46e3e777f696fc352176d653ce24f.jpg

4b872f69384683730c644c3b60857c28.jpg

That's a great price for RY10!

Pretty good prices across the board

Yeah TW has good pricing but they tend to have terrible selection. Everything I show pictured will be gone by Monday morning.

Well one huh? moment has been cleared up.  Fellow at TW in Louisville followed up on my questioning their shelf advert of Two Stars as a wheater.  Got an email today stating, after checking with several sources, he was previously given inaccurate info and that TS was actually a rye bourbon.

Good to see customer service and follow-up isn't dead.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Well one huh? moment has been cleared up.  Fellow at TW in Louisville followed up on my questioning their shelf advert of Two Stars as a wheater.  Got an email today stating, after checking with several sources, he was previously given inaccurate info and that TS was actually a rye bourbon.

Good to see customer service and follow-up isn't dead.

I wonder if that's the ONLY misinformation that TW employees get from Corporate . . . . . . . . .  NOT!  Good on your TW contact tho' for following up on your query.   B)

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Went into a LS to pick up their private selection of OWA.  But to get one they told me I'd have to also purchase a bottle of Stranahan's (bundled purchase).  Stranahan's is not even bourbon -- it's malt whiskey.  I've tasted Stranahan's.  I even own a bottle.  No thanks.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Went into a LS to pick up their private selection of OWA.  But to get one they told me I'd have to also purchase a bottle of Stranahan's (bundled purchase).  Stranahan's is not even bourbon -- it's malt whiskey.  I've tasted Stranahan's.  I even own a bottle.  No thanks.

That's odd - Nothing against Stranahan's (Is this Colorado scotch?), but I'm pretty sure Buffalo Trace isn't aware their product is being used to extort sales, much less sales from a competitor. 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, musekatcher said:

That's odd - Nothing against Stranahan's (Is this Colorado scotch?), but I'm pretty sure Buffalo Trace isn't aware their product is being used to extort sales, much less sales from a competitor. 

Yes you could call it Colorado Scotch and it's not cheap at $55 to 60.  I have no idea why that store thought it would be a good idea to bundle a bourbon with a malt whisky.  Obviously they must over-bought on the Stranahan's ... too bad for them but it shouldn't be my problem. And yes I agree with you, it amounts to a form of extortion.

• I like it 1

You should at least tell them you have a stranahan's and don't care for it and ask if they will allow you to substitute something you do like. Worth a shot. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

You should at least tell them you have a stranahan's and don't care for it and ask if they will allow you to substitute something you do like. Worth a shot. 

I like this idea if there is something they have for around the same price that you think is a reasonable value. Otherwise, I don't think I would pay $60 for something I don't care for just to buy something I do.

• I like it 1

I was in a large chain store in Chicago today looking to purchase a few of their KCSBs. While in the bourbon aisle a sales person was talking to a customer who was inquiring about bourbon and points to another worker who he says is their "whiskey guy."  The customer "the whiskey" he is planning to go to a bourbon tasting with 15 guys and he is looking for something that no one else is likely to bring.  The whiskey guy goes on to share his opinion of several different bottles and how much he loves talking whiskey.  He ends up convincing the customer to buy a bottle of Bower Hill for around $65.  I thought to myself he is probably right no one else is like to bring that to the tasting.  I told my wife I would have just recommend either one of the KCSBs or HKM10 and everyone would have been happeir and the guy would have save about $25.

I should have known better but I was curious about the different flavor profiles of the various KCSBs they had.   I was looking at a 10 year old barrel and a 12 year old barrel.  He said he had tried them but rather than giving me his opinion, he looks at the 10 year old barrel and proof and says "this one is younger and it will be hot due to the alcohol content."  He compares it to Bulleit.  He then looks at the 12 year old and says this one is older so it will be pretty oaky.  I thanked him and then walked away feeling less informed by the experience.   

• I like it 1

^^^^^Did you wear a condom (and wash your hands) afterwards?  :lol:

Sadly, encounters like that are now the norm. 

• I like it 1

I was in a large chain store in Chicago today looking to purchase a few of their KCSBs. While in the bourbon aisle a sales person was talking to a customer who was inquiring about bourbon and points to another worker who he says is their "whiskey guy."  The customer "the whiskey" he is planning to go to a bourbon tasting with 15 guys and he is looking for something that no one else is likely to bring.  The whiskey guy goes on to share his opinion of several different bottles and how much he loves talking whiskey.  He ends up convincing the customer to buy a bottle of Bower Hill for around $65.  I thought to myself he is probably right no one else is like to bring that to the tasting.  I told my wife I would have just recommend either one of the KCSBs or HKM10 and everyone would have been happeir and the guy would have save about $25.

I should have known better but I was curious about the different flavor profiles of the various KCSBs they had.   I was looking at a 10 year old barrel and a 12 year old barrel.  He said he had tried them but rather than giving me his opinion, he looks at the 10 year old barrel and proof and says "this one is younger and it will be hot due to the alcohol content."  He compares it to Bulleit.  He then looks at the 12 year old and says this one is older so it will be pretty oaky.  I thanked him and then walked away feeling less informed by the experience.   

That's probably more positive than a lot of guys. I was looked at funny when I said there was any difference between 2 private selections at a local chain

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Sounds like you were well informed by the experience! Obviously the resident "expert" doesn't have a clue and you now know that definitively... :lol:

• I like it 2

I don't think I could have resisted.  Hmm Bower Hill, who distills that? Ha

• I like it 1