Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

St. Louis. Appears to be their regular price.

20170307_163733-747x1328.jpg

I'd try it for that price.

Here, it's $90-$100 at TW. No thanks. Easy pass every time.

I don't know what it is about Missouri, but you guys have low prices on certain brands.

St. Louis. Appears to be their regular price.
20170307_163733-747x1328.thumb.jpg.e7014a9d65cb778b8ded7939a5221ab0.jpg

Ha pretty much the same display I saw. It was probably the same price as well.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

OWA Pappy!

998b7fa43252ad616bac1d0f449a10f1.jpg

What the.......?  Just how much of that stuff do you get in Texas?  It doesn't even make it to the shelf here let alone need advertising to get it to sell. 

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

What the.......?  Just how much of that stuff do you get in Texas?  It doesn't even make it to the shelf here let alone need advertising to get it to sell. 

I know right!? I've seen people almost come to blows over WSR, much less OWA. Haven't seen a W12 since 2014 or early 15. I'm moving to Texas. 

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I know right!? I've seen people almost come to blows over WSR, much less OWA. Haven't seen a W12 since 2014 or early 15. I'm moving to Texas. 

hmmm....... Road Trip ?

B1g country  you in too?

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

MO is a good place to buy berbin

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

... and Reigh !

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

OWA Pappy!

Hawking it as Pappy, supposedly the "best" one can buy, but it only garners an 88 from that Wine Enthusiat fool.  What gives?

• I like it 2

I like actually think the shelf talker is perfectly appropriate. No one saying it's pappy just a suggestion that if you like pappy here are some alternatives to try. No gouging prices, no hard sells. No pushing people to try some over priced unproven craft or NDP. No 'poor mans pappy' just a suggestion of something to try if you like pappy - and something that actually happens to be pretty darn good. If only every store was so straight ahead. 

• I like it 1

This place had it on the shelf because there selling it for $40 a fifth, when it can be found for $26 at other places.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

I like actually think the shelf talker is perfectly appropriate. No one saying it's pappy just a suggestion that if you like pappy here are some alternatives to try. No gouging prices, no hard sells. No pushing people to try some over priced unproven craft or NDP. No 'poor mans pappy' just a suggestion of something to try if you like pappy - and something that actually happens to be pretty darn good. If only every store was so straight ahead. 

Not gouging?   ...At $50/750?    That sounds like gouging to me.    Maybe I'm out of step having not bought a 750 of OWA in over two months; but the last one I bought was well under $30.

5 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Not gouging?   ...At $50/750?    That sounds like gouging to me.    Maybe I'm out of step having not bought a 750 of OWA in over two months; but the last one I bought was well under $30.

Around here, unless one is just outside the store when it is put on the shelves (at or near MSRP circa $30), it can be found in the "lesser" stores (that is, the ones known for aggressively higher prices on everything) for $99 a 750, just like GTS Jr.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Looks like $50 for a 1L.  You can see the bottle on the left is the smaller, so I'm betting it's 750ml.  Middle is bigger, 1L.  Right side is mongo, 1.75L.  Or maybe I'm seeing things in my mind.

• I like it 1

hmmm....... Road Trip ?

B1g country  you in too?

Meh. I like me some meat on my women, and some rye in my bourbon. The way John Wayne intended it!

I actually think $50 a handle is pretty reasonable...or is that a liter?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Looks like $50 for a 1L.  You can see the bottle on the left is the smaller, so I'm betting it's 750ml.  Middle is bigger, 1L.  Right side is mongo, 1.75L.  Or maybe I'm seeing things in my mind.

You're absolutely right first time I've seen the 1L. Still it was $40 for a fifth.

• I like it 1

Just now, HoustonNit said:

You're absolutely right first time I've seen the 1L.

Same here.  I was amazed to see the holy trinity of bourbon sizing in OWA.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

OWA Pappy!

I think I'd cum all over myself if I came across a liquor store that had Weller on the shelf and there wasn't a Black Friday type riot of shoppers trying to grab a bottle. Wow, and you even have a choice of sizes. 

• I like it 2

Ahhh, $50 for a Liter isn't quite as bad; but still: no bargain.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

I think I'd cum all over myself if I came across a liquor store that had Weller on the shelf and there wasn't a Black Friday type riot of shoppers trying to grab a bottle. Wow, and you even have a choice of sizes. 

TMI,  DCFan, TMI!:o

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

For all of us, maybe you should avoid Houston. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

For all of us, maybe you should avoid Houston. 

Everything's bigger in Texas. :D

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

Huh...

Rural Michigan is somewhat of a double edged sword... Bourbon doesn't seem to generate the hysteria here so I see OWA sit on the shelf @$26 / 750 and $52 / 1.75. On the other edge, the LEs are virtually non-existant...

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Huh...

Rural Michigan is somewhat of a double edged sword... Bourbon doesn't seem to generate the hysteria here so I see OWA sit on the shelf @$26 / 750 and $52 / 1.75. On the other edge, the LEs are virtually non-existant...

The Va ABC must not rate or the panel that selects the whiskeys they'll sell throughout the state don't like it.  :(

18 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

18 hours ago, Clueby said:

6 hours ago, DCFan said:

You guys are kind of funny,  don't you think it's just a case of lusting over what you can't have?  I can get as much of it as I want, and I think there are a lot better choices out there. It's a one trick pony, not much going on there for me anyway.

I can't get HH BiB 6 yr, but I don't sweat it. Don't get me wrong I'd love to buy some (and will whenever I get back to KY) but I don't build it up to be something it's not, which is simply a well crafted 6 year old inexpensive bourbon. OWA is nothing more than that, and it's not even age stated anymore.

• I like it 2