Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

You guys are kind of funny,  don't you think it's just a case of lusting over what you can't have? 

If you took that away from everybody then board traffics would drop by 80%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 2

10 minutes ago, BigRich said:

If you took that away from everybody then board traffics would drop by 80%.

Hah, so true!  I'm as guilty as anyone.

• I like it 1

In case anyone was wondering the word "cum" has been used 17 times on the forum. Most instances were using the Latin meaning "with" as in magna cum laude. There are two uses of it in the sexual release sense, but not since 2010 and 2011 and only in the political forum. This was the first instance in the whiskey forum. Let's hope we don't see it again until 2023. :)

Edited by Charlutz
Added a smiley to indicate I have a sense of humor. :)
  • I like it 2

3 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

In case anyone was wondering the word "cum" has been used 17 times on the forum. Most instances were using the Latin meaning "with" as in magna cum laude. There are two uses of it in the sexual release sense, but not since 2010 and 2011 and only in the political forum. This was the first instance in the whiskey forum. Let's hope we don't see it again until 2023. :)

Sex and bourbon, they go together. :D

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

The Va ABC must not rate or the panel that selects the whiskeys they'll sell throughout the state don't like it.  :(

VA ABC gets OWA but it's on their super secret list and apparently is set for lottery once they fulfill the previously requested items. 

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

VA ABC gets OWA but it's on their super secret list and apparently is set for lottery once they fulfill the previously requested items. 

You're making my point, we get one size and so few bottles the ABC can only put it up on lottery while they have all 3 sizes available sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Why is that?

5 minutes ago, DCFan said:

You're making my point, we get one size and so few bottles the ABC can only put it up on lottery while they have all 3 sizes available sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Why is that?

Texas has historically been the biggest market for Weller bourbons for decades.  Many decades.  So, they ship a lot there.  Even so, Wellers have been a much tougher find even there as this boom as progressed.  I am sure that Sazerac is doing the best they can to keep Texas as filled as possible with the brand that they love.   Texas was buying Weller's by the boatload well before the rest of the world caught on.

11 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Wellers have been a much tougher find even there as this boom as progressed.

Joe, with the boom in bourbons that you mention, I can understand not wanting to flood the market but why aren't these distilleries increasing production to maximize demand or are they just content to keep cranking out the same production levels just to maintain scarcity?

Texas has historically been the biggest market for Weller bourbons for decades.  Many decades.  So, they ship a lot there.  Even so, Wellers have been a much tougher find even there as this boom as progressed.  I am sure that Sazerac is doing the best they can to keep Texas as filled as possible with the brand that they love.   Texas was buying Weller's by the boatload well before the rest of the world caught on.

^This

13 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Joe, with the boom in bourbons that you mention, I can understand not wanting to flood the market but why aren't these distilleries increasing production to maximize demand or are they just content to keep cranking out the same production levels just to maintain scarcity?

They are increasing.  And, then some.  The cycle from mashing to bottling is long, however.  For OWA and WSR, it's around 6 years.  Weller 12, of course 12 years.  You just don't turn up the spigot to get more out the door today.  

56 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

They are increasing.  And, then some.  The cycle from mashing to bottling is long, however.  For OWA and WSR, it's around 6 years.  Weller 12, of course 12 years.  You just don't turn up the spigot to get more out the door today.  

That's good to hear.  Thanks. ;)

It probably has more to do with the 500x consumption of fireball compared to Weller anything. I'm willing to bet for every bottle of Weller 12 sold there are 500 bottles of fireball sold...

30 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

It probably has more to do with the 500x consumption of fireball compared to Weller anything. I'm willing to bet for every bottle of Weller 12 sold there are 500 bottles of fireball sold...

Meanwhile, I'm waiting patiently for "Old Weller Cinnamon Reserve" to be released.... I hear it's the next pappy.... ;)

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Unobtanium glitters like nothing else ...

haha. Brian.  After a couple of pours of KCSB, I was confused by the word "unobtanium" and started to look it up until I had a "duh" realization. :lol:

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

Perhaps Texas loves their Fireball , too .  Regardless, Texas is a Tier 1 market for Weller products.

• I like it 1

^Joe keeps beating me to it Buffalo Trace has made a $200M investment to expand warehousing and production. That being said it'll take years before we see the impact.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

^Joe keeps beating me to it Buffalo Trace has made a $200M investment to expand warehousing and production. That being said it'll take years before we see the impact.

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Light at the end of the tunnel even if it is 10 years or so down the road. :D

21 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Although Fireball has little to do with the shortage of BT made whiskey, what ever the brand. The base whiskey (if you want to call it that...) in Fireball is a Canadian whisky.

11 hours ago, DCFan said:

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Light at the end of the tunnel even if it is 10 years or so down the road. :D

Yep. Wonder what that light is gonna look like?

My theory is that availability willl be good, but people might not like the sticker price! :huh:

Although Fireball has little to do with the shortage of BT made whiskey, what ever the brand. The base whiskey (if you want to call it that...) in Fireball is a Canadian whisky.

My point is they reward the stores that do the biggest volume, and the majority of any stores volume is probably fireball, Bacardi, and flavored vodka.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It must be a corporate wide thing. They are pushing the Clyde Mays out here as well.

Ugh, so I work at a chain shop in a college town and we were forced to take a 12er of Clyde Mays by the big bosses. The staff agreed to have a friendly competition to see who could sell the most of our stock to the frat guys one weekend recently when it was on sale. Winner getting lunch courtesy of the others. Being the persuasive and talented bunch we sold through it all by COB sat. Wednesday we get our weekly shipment from the distributor, only to find we now have a 6er of Clyde Mays Reserve at $15 more a bottle!!! Our plot to rid the store of it so we could get back to recommending stuff that tasted good apparently backfired...

10 hours ago, Louisiana said:

My theory is that availability willl be good, but people might not like the sticker price! :huh:

Fortunately the good Lord has taken care of me in that regard. ;)

6 hours ago, DCFan said:

Fortunately the good Lord has taken care of me in that regard. ;)

Me too, but that doesn't mean I'll like the sticker price! :)

16 hours ago, TexanBrad said:

Ugh, so I work at a chain shop in a college town and we were forced to take a 12er of Clyde Mays by the big bosses. The staff agreed to have a friendly competition to see who could sell the most of our stock to the frat guys one weekend recently when it was on sale. Winner getting lunch courtesy of the others. Being the persuasive and talented bunch we sold through it all by COB sat. Wednesday we get our weekly shipment from the distributor, only to find we now have a 6er of Clyde Mays Reserve at $15 more a bottle!!! Our plot to rid the store of it so we could get back to recommending stuff that tasted good apparently backfired...

Theres a special place in hell for you.

• I like it 1