Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

Manhattan doesn't disappoint. Seen 2 stores with both Weller and Stagg at $999 today. 

Screenshot_20170424-200037.png

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, beasled said:

Manhattan doesn't disappoint. Seen 2 stores with both Weller and Stagg at $999 today. 

Screenshot_20170424-200037.png

The Stagg is "only" $929.

24 minutes ago, Clueby said:

They must be sniffing glue. Dangerous stuff. 

• I like it 1

I think i feel worse at the thought that someone might pay $329 for Michters 10 than a thousand for Weller..

• I like it 1

It's Manhattan. I at least give them a pass for that

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Just stopped by a store and was looking at SAOS Single Barrel BP, 11 years old, bottled by the ubiquitous Sarah, ($59.99) which I will probably go back and buy and saw on the top shelf, behind the checkout counter, a bottle of Basil Hayden Rye.  I asked her how much and she scanned it and said, $199.99.  I just walked out.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Just stopped by a store and was looking at SAOS Single Barrel BP, 11 years old, bottled by the ubiquitous Sarah, ($59.99) which I will probably go back and buy and saw on the top shelf, behind the checkout counter, a bottle of Basil Hayden Rye.  I asked her how much and she scanned it and said, $199.99.  I just walked out.

The 11 yr, slightly under 100 proof  is amazing.  You can nose and drink it all day!

• I like it 1

Just now, RussianBourbonLover said:

The 11 yr, slightly under 100 proof  is amazing.  You can nose and drink it all day!

That was the one.  Guess I'm making a trip at lunch to pick it up.

• 2 weeks later...

I strolled into this store today and the first thing I saw was ECBP on the isle end cap.  My excitement quickly faded when I saw the $99.99 price tag.....oh well, seems normal for this area.  I went down the bourbon isle and found these on a lower shelf.  No purchases were made, but I did leave the store smelling like incense. :blink:

image.thumb.jpeg.d2a4626d8302a07aee3845d4e84864ea.jpeg

On 3/11/2017 at 8:48 PM, DeepCover said:

Did you also happen to notice the "Suggested Retail" prices next to the actual price? I thought you might find that amusing if you didn't notice. I'm curious to know who's suggesting those prices.

This store IMO is laughable. I know different regions get different supply/pricing, but people in TX, by and large, aren't shelling out $70 for W12. With some patience, you can find it. Stagg Jr. is readily available at $50. RHF, at another store that charges $600 for BTAC, goes for $90 or less. The ETL is $65 from what I've seen, when you can find it. 

Here's the pricing on the W12 at the place I see RHF for $90.

image.jpeg

I would clear the shelf at those prices all day long 

• I like it 1

As I mentioned previously in the "What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today" thread, yesterday I stopped at a liquor store that I don't visit very often. I was there for a bit just checking out what they had. The OWA was tempting, but not for $39.99. The clerk was on the phone the entire time I was there, and I wasn't even sure he knew I was in the store. On my way out, I checked to see if they had anything of interest behind the counter. It was then that the clerk asked if he could help me. Full well knowing the answer, but being the douce' bag that I can occasionally be at times, I asked if they had any Weller 12. He said no, but asked if I'd been to their other store. Just the answer I was waiting for. ^_^ I basically told him thanks but no thanks, and that I'd been to their other store before. I continued by telling him that I don't really care to pay prices that are well above what retail should be. With that, he told the person that he was on the phone with that he'd call back later, and immediately hung up the phone and started making another call. I'm guessing he was calling the other store. I just shook my head, turned around and casually walked out. 

FWIW, I believe the same guy actually owns three stores here in town. I've had my "run ins" at all three. I recently stopped back in at their third store and asked about Weller's. The clerk said he remembered me because they had video of me from their security cameras from a previous visit.  :ph34r: This was the store I visited just before Xmas where the guy told me they had some OWA or Weller 12 (?) in the back, but they weren't for sale. He then called the owner, and said his boss told him he could sell me one for $100.00. :huh: (I posted about this a while back.) I reckon I'm on their radar if they remember me from their security camera footage. Since they're kinda being jerks, I guess I can keep on being one too. :P They're just gonna love seeing me if and when I stop in at one of their stores and ask about Weller's again. ;) What's good for the goose........

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

As I mentioned previously in the "What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today" thread, yesterday I stopped at a liquor store that I don't visit very often. I was there for a bit just checking out what they had. The OWA was tempting, but not for $39.99. The clerk was on the phone the entire time I was there, and I wasn't even sure he knew I was in the store. On my way out, I checked to see if they had anything of interest behind the counter. It was then that the clerk asked if he could help me. Full well knowing the answer, but being the douce' bag that I can occasionally be at times, I asked if they had any Weller 12. He said no, but asked if I'd been to their other store. Just the answer I was waiting for. [emoji5] I basically told him thanks but no thanks, and that I'd been to their other store before. I continued by telling him that I don't really care to pay prices that are well above what retail should be. With that, he told the person that he was on the phone with that he'd call back later, and immediately hung up the phone and started making another call. I'm guessing he was calling the other store. I just shook my head, turned around and casually walked out. 

FWIW, I believe the same guy actually owns three stores here in town. I've had my "run ins" at all three. I recently stopped back in at their third store and asked about Weller's. The clerk said he remembered me because they had video of me from their security cameras from a previous visit.  [emoji185] This was the store I visited just before Xmas where the guy told me they had some OWA or Weller 12 (?) in the back, but they weren't for sale. He then called the owner, and said his boss told him he could sell me one for $100.00. :huh: (I posted about this a while back.) I reckon I'm on their radar if they remember me from their security camera footage. Since they're kinda being jerks, I guess I can keep on being one too. [emoji14] They're just gonna love seeing me if and when I stop in at one of their stores and ask about Weller's again. [emoji6] What's good for the goose........

Cheers! Joe

That's super creepy that they mentioned they recognized you from security footage. Have you held them up at gunpoint or something before?? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

That's super creepy that they mentioned they recognized you from security footage. Have you held them up at gunpoint or something before?? [emoji12]

I've been told it is strange to walk into a liquor store look around closely, and not buy anything. Especially in bad neighborhoods...
  • I like it 1

On 4/24/2017 at 8:35 PM, Clueby said:

Are those pesos or dollars?

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I've been told it is strange to walk into a liquor store look around closely, and not buy anything. Especially in bad neighborhoods...

Told by whom? I do it all the time. I will often at least buy something if they were friendly/helpful. Maybe a tea or something from their cold case if they have it.

• I like it 1

I gets looks at the north county Randalls. One guy knows me, and explained why his employee was eyeing me funny. Shoplifters.

I gets looks at the north county Randalls. One guy knows me, and explained why his employee was eyeing me funny. Shoplifters.

I think mostly this. I'm a relatively dorky looking white guy and whenever I walk into one of these places they seem a bit confused/concerned. Most people don't walk into a random liqour store and closely look at the bourbon bottles and worse take out there phone and take pics and start googling.
  • I like it 1

I think mostly this. I'm a relatively dorky looking white guy and whenever I walk into one of these places they seem a bit confused/concerned. Most people don't walk into a random liqour store and closely look at the bourbon bottles and worse take out there phone and take pics and start googling.

I resemble this statement. [emoji12][emoji1][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

12 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

Yeah, I would agree that it's not always a good idea to just walk out.

I always make a mental note of what they don't have, but I'd always take another bottle of, then stop @ The counter and ask on my way out.

They either apologize, or pull one out from a secret spot...

• I like it 1

I resemble this statement. [emoji12][emoji1][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, we all do. I haven't met y'all, but I've seen pictures.

• I like it 1

Yeah, I would agree that it's not always a good idea to just walk out.

I always make a mental note of what they don't have, but I'd always take another bottle of, then stop @ The counter and ask on my way out.

They either apologize, or pull one out from a secret spot...

I usually do this with something like OGDBiB or OGD114, and then toss in a casual "you guys ever try X LE? Someday I want to find another bottle." It's only worked twice out of umpteen tries, but it's something!

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Yeah, we all do. I haven't met y'all, but I've seen pictures.

In my case it's just that the picture takers are failing to get my good side...

• I like it 1

FWIW, the stores I referred to in my previous post aren't in "bad" areas of town. Two are actually nice stores, while the other one (a converted shop in an older strip mall, that's only been open a couple of years or so) is a bit run down. I've been in all of them before, and once upon a time bought a bottle or two. Two used to have prices that weren't too bad. When the "boom" hit big time, it seems the price bug bit them and now their prices are mostly way out of line. 

Joe

I think there are just as many 'huh' moments from customers as there are employees.  Case in point: yesterday at Total Wine I overheard two guys in the bourbon aisle, one of whom was clearly trying to help the other one in a purchase, opining at every opportunity, trying to show his vast knowledge of everything bourbon.  

He ended up recommending Jefferson's Ocean because "Jefferson's 23 was the best bourbon" he ever tried.  I'm no Jefferson's expert since I avoid it like the plague, but I'm also pretty sure there was never such a thing.  Blind leading the blind.

• I like it 1

Yeah, just as I got into bourbon I was perusing the aisle and the guy stocking the shelves seemed to know what he was talking about and as we talked he made some suggestions.  One was Town Branch.  Last time I ever take one of his suggestions.  It's not bad but for me it's just a mixer and doesn't really stand on it's own.

• I like it 1