Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

The standard BT I can find locally in just about any store that sells booze (sometimes even under $20).  I get there are variations of availability across the country.  BT and HH are big industrial operations putting out a lot of product.  The three tier system involves many games.  Visiting the domain of a different distributor may help the search.  

I couldn’t have said it better myself PaulO. Distilleries often take the blame on things that aren’t completely their fault. 

Here’s a story that’s one of those that make you go hmmmmm. I’m not sure if it’s true or not, but.............:unsure:

I was once given an explanation by a store owner/manager as to why you sometimes see some bottle prices go up by $5.00. “Well, let’s say the distillery raises the price of a bottle by a $1.00. The distributor charges $3.00 more to offset their new price, and so they can make a couple more bucks. The liquor store then adds another $2.00 so they can offset the price increase from the distillery and distributor and also make a couple of bucks” It does make sense in a weird, off kilter sort of way. 

Like you said, the three tier system involves many games. 

Biba! Joe

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm not in Missouri.  But this sounds like bullshit, don't fall for it.  Evan Williams is not going the way of Buffalo Trace. 

Based on my gut feeling after last nights LS visit I don't think the employee was lying to me. She stated that she was told the same story by 3 different reps and based on the fact that she was not knowledgeable on how allocations work I don't think she was the type of employee to blow smoke up  customers butt. I understand how large of a producer Heaven Hill is and at first this didn't seem factual, but given the current state of the bourbon market she may have been telling the truth. I know that the sazerac allocations are not what they used to be in our area, and I sure hope that EW doesn't go into allocation as well.   

1 hour ago, Double C's said:

Based on my gut feeling after last nights LS visit I don't think the employee was lying to me. She stated that she was told the same story by 3 different reps and based on the fact that she was not knowledgeable on how allocations work I don't think she was the type of employee to blow smoke up  customers butt. I understand how large of a producer Heaven Hill is and at first this didn't seem factual, but given the current state of the bourbon market she may have been telling the truth. I know that the sazerac allocations are not what they used to be in our area, and I sure hope that EW doesn't go into allocation as well.   

If you want to sell more Bourbon (even the #2 sold Bourbon), declare it to be in shortage, going away or "allocated ". It makes us lose our marbles.  

If you don't think all three tiers understand this & play this game, well.......

Cheers

• I like it 2

Sometimes allocation can mean - a store places an order, they receive not quite as many cases or bottles as they were asking.  We've seen this in the past, even with widespread and popular brands, like Knob Creek.  If a brand gets discontinued, looses an age statement, or becomes wildly popular - that's a different story.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Sometimes allocation can mean - a store places an order, they receive not quite as many cases or bottles as they were asking.  We've seen this in the past, even with widespread and popular brands, like Knob Creek.  If a brand gets discontinued, looses an age statement, or becomes wildly popular - that's a different story.

Exactly.  The liquor manager at my primary store (a grocery with high volume and relatively high end bourbon) tells me that he often orders something only to receive a partial order or is told that something will come in on a certain date.  He told me one time that he occasionally gets a bottle or two of "name the sought after bourbon" that he sets aside for the distributor rep.  Normally, a liquor manager might not tell people that he sets something aside for someone else especially someone in the distribution system, but I have discussed this with him before and he knows I understand how the game is played.  Sure, I would enjoy an occasional bottle of "add the bourbon of your choice" but as long as he can stock what I like and occasionally something different to pique my desire for a mid-level allocated item, I am fine with how the game is played.  Especially since I really don't have a choice.

He also once told me he orders BT products every week and is lucky to receive an allocation of BT and ER once a quarter.

This store which has a very high volume for the chain sometimes goes weeks without standard bourbons like KC.  Sometimes the locked case is filled with Kentucky Owl, OF distillery series and other mid shelf offerings but the shelves are empty of KC, all FR except YL, etc.  I can go to a nearby store in the largest chain and one of their premier stores and they have empty spots on the shelf for standard items.

• I like it 3

OGD114 is now behind the glass at Kroger Wine & Spirits....

Had to put name in raffle for RHF..

Enjoying some ECBP at the moment.  

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

So, how much would you pay for this bundle basket at the local grocery store?

Is this a trick question Dave?  🤔

Biba! Joe

23 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Is this a trick question Dave?  🤔

Biba! Joe

No, just a question. The “huh” part was the magnitude of the thing, the high overall quality of the components and the MSRPesque $1,236.00 price tag. They had a Lot B variant as well for $14.00 more. They were both Gone in 60 Seconds.  

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

So, how much would you pay for this bundle basket at the local grocery store?

9B8FBE41-49BD-43D7-A4E0-F0F6F63F2C10.jpeg.64587d8cf368f328e995486cf9ba674a.jpeg

That's quite the cocktail. I'd call it a "suicide".

• I like it 1

On 12/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, jnewberg said:

Posted this in the wrong thread, ETL100 for $699 was an easy pass and grabbed a Stagg Jr for $55 from him instead.

UPDATE: Went for 500 cash last week the owner told me 

16 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

No, just a question. The “huh” part was the magnitude of the thing, the high overall quality of the components and the MSRPesque $1,236.00 price tag. They had a Lot B variant as well for $14.00 more. They were both Gone in 60 Seconds.  

Throw in some Tony Chachere's and it would have been a deal! You're right - not a terrible price - and pretty savvy selection targeting the brand-aware consumer. 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2020 at 8:48 PM, Marekv8 said:

I'm definitely missing the mark here. At a glance I'm just getting about $800 worth of goodies. And for those who don't know, Tony's is too salty per seasoning content. The Slap is a waaaay better option...

3 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Had to do a double take...J Magnus on the bottom shelf next to the JTS Brown.

IMG_4218.jpg

Looks like signage from a Total - that us surprising, their shelf integrity is usually pretty good!    

I was in a large chain liquor store today and the manager was chatting with me.  I went in asking for FRSiB and ended up buying OF100 and a New Riff 105.7 proof.  I told him my sweet spot is 100 to 105 proof.  He point out several major distillery BIBs.  It would have made @PaulO proud.  Everything he said was right.  It is good to have someone be honest.  

He even pointed me to another store in town that had FRSiB on the shelf if that is what I wanted.  I spent my money with him.  I have spoken with him before and told him I will be back.

• I like it 8

With my wife at work and son at school, I decided today would be a good day to visit the Total Wine Indianapolis for the first time.  It's about an hour each way for me, so not something I'd just do on a lark.  Plus, I hate to go near the North side when it's busy.  Early works for me.

It is a large and well set up store.

I knew ahead of time, don't expect to see any Bourbons in short supply.

They did have some old standbys at good prices.

They have tons of their own sourced brands.  Read the labels carefully.  Some are very young, probably taste like white lightning (no thanks).

Beer selection is good (a highlight).

I picked up a couple bottles of Scotch too.  That won't get opened until much later tonight.  I'll post that in the appropriate section.

P.S.  Store employee told me they're opening a Greenwood location this summer.

I was in a local LS which has a very heavy-handed employee who feels that it's necessary to educate the customers on the finer points of spirits and make unsolicited recommendations. During his dialogue, the woman asked about the difference between the two Single Malt Scotch Whisky bottles he was waving around-- to which he replied… “they're using different mashbills, just like you find in Bourbons."

OK then.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I was in a local LS which has a very heavy-handed employee who feels that it's necessary to educate the customers on the finer points of spirits and make unsolicited recommendations. During his dialogue, the woman asked about the difference between the two Single Malt Scotch Whisky bottles he was waving around-- to which he replied… “they're using different mashbills, just like you find in Bourbons."

OK then.

🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

OK then.

Why is it the guys who talk the loudest know the least?

Edited by lemonman
Gif wouldn't work

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

P.S.  Store employee told me they're opening a Greenwood location this summer.

👍😁

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

OK then.

Wow! Learn something new every day. 😉😂

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

OK then.

Single malt is 100% barley malt, yes, then what's the other. 🙃

• I like it 1

On 2/26/2021 at 9:39 PM, PaulO said:

Single malt is 100% barley malt, yes, then what's the other. 🙃

Peated vs unpeated? 2-Row, 6-Row, Golden Promise, chocolate malt, etc.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:37 PM, clearmoon247 said:

Peated vs unpeated? 2-Row, 6-Row, Golden Promise, chocolate malt, etc.

If he could've pointed out the subtle differences in Golden Promise and Optic then I would've been impressed enough to buy something from him.  But I'm guessing that wasn't the case.