Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

Indeed, ‘twas.  I didn’t even  other to look in their glass case.

Forgot to mention they had Blanton’s out on the floor for $99.97, with a sign saying something about holiday spirit and sharing, so limit of just 1 bottle per customer.

Least it wasn’t a wasted stop for me, as I was able to find a Buffalo Trace PS on the shelf of the nearby chain store, tucked behind a couple of regular BT bottles......?

Seems completely backwards to price the Hancock’s $50 more than Blanton’s. Every time I’ve compared them SBS, and most reviews I’ve read as well, tend to have the Blanton’s in the lead.

6 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Seems completely backwards to price the Hancock’s $50 more than Blanton’s. Every time I’ve compared them SBS, and most reviews I’ve read as well, tend to have the Blanton’s in the lead.

Agree. Hancock's in the mashbill #2 booby prize after RHF, Blanton's, and ETL. I may pay $50-70 for a MB#2 if I have an itch to scratch but not for Hancock's. 

• I like it 2

One of the staff at my local who appears very knowledgeable about whiskey — but self reports as more of a scotch guy than a bourbon guy — made some interesting comments to me, and as I overheard, to another customer recently. He said that for most higher-end bourbons, you should pour a glass and then leave it to sit out for at least 2 or even 3 hours before tasting/drinking, and that it will be much more flavorful and tasty that way. In the conversations I heard, he was referring specifically to Remus Repeal Reserve and OF1920, but also alluded to that being the appropriate practice for any “higher” proof whiskeys.

Now, I’m not saying he’s wrong. And I’ve actually experimented with SBS tastings of pours that I’ve decanted for maybe 20 minutes vs fresh from the bottle, and found favorable differences in the former... but I’ve never heard of anyone waiting 2-3 hours from pour to first sip to improve the experience. Anyone else do this or something similar? In spirits competitions do they decant the whiskies for several hours before the judges taste and compare? 

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

One of the staff at my local who appears very knowledgeable about whiskey — but self reports as more of a scotch guy than a bourbon guy — made some interesting comments to me, and as I overheard, to another customer recently. He said that for most higher-end bourbons, you should pour a glass and then leave it to sit out for at least 2 or even 3 hours before tasting/drinking, and that it will be much more flavorful and tasty that way. In the conversations I heard, he was referring specifically to Remus Repeal Reserve and OF1920, but also alluded to that being the appropriate practice for any “higher” proof whiskeys.

Now, I’m not saying he’s wrong. And I’ve actually experimented with SBS tastings of pours that I’ve decanted for maybe 20 minutes vs fresh from the bottle, and found favorable differences in the former... but I’ve never heard of anyone waiting 2-3 hours from pour to first sip to improve the experience. Anyone else do this or something similar? In spirits competitions do they decant the whiskies for several hours before the judges taste and compare? 

For me, it's 10 minutes if it's 100 proof or more and that's it.  2-3 hours seems a bit excessive IMO.

• I like it 1

On 12/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, Marekv8 said:

I guess it wouldn't help to tell you that my name and number are written on the wall in said room.

At least the bad news was he just brought out an overpriced bottle of booze.  It sounded like he could have brought out the Gimp... ?

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

I really feel bad for the poor guy that buys Hancock’s at that any price, and actually drinks it.

FIFY!   ?

But, but it's ALLOCATED!  It has to be good, no?  At 88.9 pf, it should be really smooth and easy to drink, right?  ?

Maybe I shouldn't hold back and let all y'all know how I really feel!!!   ?

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Anyone else do this or something similar? 

All the time!

I usually try 2-4 glasses of the same whiskey just slightly aired out the evening before, and often wake up in my clothes, on the couch, with a cat on my chest, and a pour of 6-8 hour air soaked whiskey waiting in my glass.

Sometimes it’s pretty good.?

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

FIFY!   ?

But, but it's ALLOCATED!  It has to be good, no?  At 88.9 pf, it should be really smooth and easy to drink, right?  ?

Maybe I shouldn't hold back and let all y'all know how I really feel!!!   ?

Preach Bother!  ?

Wait a minute, I need to check and see if I still have a RHF. BRB. ?

Biba! Joe

17 minutes ago, 0895 said:

All the time!

I usually try 2-4 glasses of the same whiskey just slightly aired out the evening before, and often wake up in my clothes, on the couch, with a cat on my chest, and a pour of 6-8 hour air soaked whiskey waiting in my glass.

Sometimes it’s pretty good.?

I had a similar experience a few years ago when, after hosting a post-Christmas get together (ahhhhh, the pre-COVID days) where quite few different bottles were consumed and several Ubers needed for the attendees to get home, I woke up the next morning to find that I’d left the cork off the ~1/3rd full OF1920 I’d had for a completely unnecessary night cap. Can’t say it was as good as it had been the night before, but it was still certainly drinkable, haha.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
Typo
  • I like it 3

4 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Oh wait!  You are supposed to pour it into a glass? ?

• I like it 3

The 2-3 hour time to wait seems rather excessive.  I'm drinking a pour of VOB 100 from a less than half full bottle.  I didn't have to wait at all - problem solved.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Now, I’m not saying he’s wrong. And I’ve actually experimented with SBS tastings of pours that I’ve decanted for maybe 20 minutes vs fresh from the bottle, and found favorable differences in the former... but I’ve never heard of anyone waiting 2-3 hours from pour to first sip to improve the experience.

I could see doing this for a first pour from the bottle (aka neck pour) but for a bottle that's been opened for a while, it seems completely unnecessary.  Then there's people that keep a "challenge coin" on their Glencairn between sips, which seems completely opposite in logic to the above. 

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I could see doing this for a first pour from the bottle (aka neck pour) but for a bottle that's been opened for a while, it seems completely unnecessary.  Then there's people that keep a "challenge coin" on their Glencairn between sips, which seems completely opposite in logic to the above. 

Yeah, I think that makes some sense. This guy made no such distinction though. I have a few bottles that are getting low, so I might have to experiment some more this weekend to see if I can taste any difference between a pour that’s been sitting for two hours vs. one from a bottle that’s been sitting around 30% full for a few weeks... I’ve never heard of the challenge coin, I’ll have to look that up. 

Which is a bigger liquor store ‘huh’ moment these days...walking into a store and seeing true LE’s (VW/BTAC/etc) at multiples of MSRP or finding them actually at MSRP?? 

27 minutes ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

Which is a bigger liquor store ‘huh’ moment these days...walking into a store and seeing true LE’s (VW/BTAC/etc) at multiples of MSRP or finding them actually at MSRP?? 

Finding them at MSRP.  I'm not surprised anymore to see stores selling LEs for 10x MSRP. 

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I’ve never heard of the challenge coin, I’ll have to look that up. 

I've seen some of the YouTube bourbon channels do that.  Can't remember for sure which ones - Bourbinsane maybe? 

Edited by fosmith
typo

55 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Finding them at MSRP.  I'm not surprised anymore to see stores selling LEs for 10x MSRP. 

For us Californians, I don’t know if it’s possible anymore to walk into an establishment specializing in alcohol, and see a desirable LE bottle priced at MSRP......... ?

more of an "ah" moment as in ah missed opportunity.  Sometimes I get gabby if someone perusing the bourbons.  I like talking bourbon find out their interests, perhaps give backgrounds on some bottles.  Today there was guy I tried to engage.  He mentions he just got back from Kentucky with a bunch so ...  I'm like, okay, what did ya see?  What did ya get?  He's short, curt, not chit chatty at all, and I feel like he's snubbing me like he's expert that doesn't want to deal with rube.  Okay.  I've met people in store before and they get invited to tastings where there might be $30K value sitting on the bar.  

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Never an excuse for being an a-hole.

Oh, I'm in trouble then. 

But I agree on BB's situation.  That guy was a dick. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

Oh, I'm in trouble then. 

But I agree on BB's situation.  That guy was a dick. 

And you’re a Richard...I seen the TeeShirt...  ?

• I like it 2

On 12/17/2020 at 4:10 PM, B.B. Babington said:

more of an "ah" moment as in ah missed opportunity.  Sometimes I get gabby if someone perusing the bourbons.  I like talking bourbon find out their interests, perhaps give backgrounds on some bottles.  Today there was guy I tried to engage.  He mentions he just got back from Kentucky with a bunch so ...  I'm like, okay, what did ya see?  What did ya get?  He's short, curt, not chit chatty at all, and I feel like he's snubbing me like he's expert that doesn't want to deal with rube.  Okay.  I've met people in store before and they get invited to tastings where there might be $30K value sitting on the bar.  

He probably got some gnostic knowledge from a Facebook group and cleared a glass display case of overpriced NDP brands that weren't moving. ? (tater) ?

• I like it 1

I was in a local LS this evening looking for BT bourbon cream. I was talking with the employee about how hard it has become to find in my area and we went down the rabbit hole of allocations, barrel picks, etc. She informed me that standard BT has become allocated in my area, which I believe by the lack of any BT bottles on almost any store shelf I walk by. She also made a comment about how Evan Williams is going into allocation soon. I was almost in shock. If this is factual, then I may have to stock up on a few handles of EW bib while I can easily get it. Has anyone in Missouri or elsewhere heard of this rumor about the Evan Williams product line?

15 minutes ago, Double C's said:

I was in a local LS this evening looking for BT bourbon cream. I was talking with the employee about how hard it has become to find in my area and we went down the rabbit hole of allocations, barrel picks, etc. She informed me that standard BT has become allocated in my area, which I believe by the lack of any BT bottles on almost any store shelf I walk by. She also made a comment about how Evan Williams is going into allocation soon. I was almost in shock. If this is factual, then I may have to stock up on a few handles of EW bib while I can easily get it. Has anyone in Missouri or elsewhere heard of this rumor about the Evan Williams product line?

I'm not in Missouri.  But this sounds like bullshit, don't fall for it.  Evan Williams is not going the way of Buffalo Trace. 

• I like it 1

The standard BT I can find locally in just about any store that sells booze (sometimes even under $20).  I get there are variations of availability across the country.  BT and HH are big industrial operations putting out a lot of product.  The three tier system involves many games.  Visiting the domain of a different distributor may help the search.  

• I like it 2