Old Grand Dad rumor

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Truth be told, if they want to age it longer and release it as BH under a higher proof, I might not mind. But let us into the rackhouse and make a pick, dammit!!!

While not a big BH fan these days, I would be all over a higher proof single barrel BH!  Although I'll still feel like I was rode hard if I'm paying $50+ for 114 proof BH that is really just OGD 114 aged 30 ft lower for another 3-4 years . . .

At this stage in the game, for me personally, if they asked if I would rather have higher proof BH (which I'll assume is 7-8 yrs) including the opportunity for private selections, but I have to give up OGD 114 . . . I'm not interested.  (well, OK - maybe after ONE private pick just so we can taste it straight from the barrel, but JUST ONE DAMMIT!) :) 

All of what Brian said!!!!

I too think the 114 is more likely than either of the other two OGD's to get the axe.    (I certainly hope not!)      I can't see BH going anywhere, as the whole industry shifts toward the 'premium' brands and away from the 'value for quality' sector.   More $$ to be made per barrel with BH than any other brand using the mashbill.      ...Especially now that the industry has basically abandoned age statements, even on top brands. 

I'd say stock up on 114 while the brand is available, just in case.    Even at the current jacked up prices, it's a good bargain, for great whiskey.    A case or two in the bunker will be a real comfort in a year or two, to those of us who think of it as frequent pour; so you can't go wrong, even if the axe doesn't fall.    Just my two cents worth.

At the GBS Knob Creek selection, we were told that BH was coming to store shelves as a barrel selection at a high proof (100+ IIRC).

I'm in the believe it when I see it camp. Enthusiasts will be up in arms if 114 is axed. Beam has been making good moves recently. They should be cautious about blowing all that good will by killing off a fan favorite. That said, a high proof SB BH would make that easier to swallow as long as the price isn't bananas.

6 hours ago, Josh said:

At the GBS Knob Creek selection, we were told that BH was coming to store shelves as a barrel selection at a high proof (100+ IIRC).

I'm in the believe it when I see it camp. Enthusiasts will be up in arms if 114 is axed. Beam has been making good moves recently. They should be cautious about blowing all that good will by killing off a fan favorite. That said, a high proof SB BH would make that easier to swallow as long as the price isn't bananas.

That sounds like a $60+ kind of pricing given the rest of the beam small batch collection. 

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

That sounds like a $60+ kind of pricing given the rest of the beam small batch collection. 

I think that's spot on - if 80 proof NAS is running $40-$45, a higher proof "premium" version has to be up there.  

And to Josh's point - I believe the barrel manager we worked with quoted several proof "options" that were being considered for BH private selections (I think one was in the 90s, and at least one was 107 - can't recall if the other was in between or . . . gulp . . . 114).  

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Frankly, I'd pay $60 for an overproof BH. Hell, I might pay that much for 114 right now if it came to that.

DO NOT give them any ideas. At least until I've had a chance to stock up on OGD114.

This is just an observation.  Two of the main grocery stores and a drug store where I shop have BH, but no OGD of any kind.  One grocery store used to have OGD and 4R products.  They dropped those and replaced them with a bunch of dodgey NDP brands and fake "moonshine". :angry: It seems if I want any OGD, I must make a special trip to a liquor store.

33 minutes ago, PaulO said:

It seems if I want any OGD, I must make a special trip to a liquor store.

If it makes you feel any better, that's the only place any of us in TX can buy any liquor at all.

If it makes you feel any better, that's the only place any of us in TX can buy any liquor at all.

Ditto for OK...and we can't have any chain liquor stores either......ugh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, dcbt said:

Replace liquor store with state run liquor store and you have Virginia

How's about killing off BH and just make more BiB and 114. Now that's something I can support! 

Edited by kcgumbohead
My thumbs up emoticon displayed as ?

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

How's about killing off BH and just make more BiB and 114. Now that's something I can support! 

Amen brother... Amen!

Man, all these bourbonites in states with strange liquor restrictions... Makes me glad to be a Missourian! Liquor in grocery stores, liquor in convenient marts, liquor in big box stores, and all manner of liquor stores from chain to mom & pop run... Y'all should come visit!

49 minutes ago, MOwhisky4me said:

Man, all these bourbonites in states with strange liquor restrictions... Makes me glad to be a Missourian! Liquor in grocery stores, liquor in convenient marts, liquor in big box stores, and all manner of liquor stores from chain to mom & pop run... Y'all should come visit!

What's next?  Liquor in the DMV ??

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:52 PM, flahute said:

From a source at Beam: OGD is not going away, BUT, one of the skus may go away. (No idea which one, but I know there's an 80proof, a BIB, and 114 proof in my market)

Most of the posts here seem to be worried that 114 will be on the chopping block. But what about the 80 proof?  Who buys that?  Certainly not anybody on SB. As for the non-enthusiast market, I suspect they are buying other bottom-shelf brands, not OGD.  In my neck of the woods anyway, it's the 80 proof bottles that have dust on the caps.

If I were Beam Suntory, I would axe the 80 proof SKU and keep the Bonded and 114 for the niche enthusiast value market. The 80 proof slot can be filled by other lower shelf labels.

6 hours ago, MOwhisky4me said:

What about on Sundays?  Certainly you can't buy liquor on a Sunday.  (Texas tells us we can't.)  :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, dcbt said:

What about on Sundays?  Certainly you can't buy liquor on a Sunday.  (Texas tells us we can't.)  :rolleyes:

Wow, even in puritanical Taxachusetts, we dumped our "blue laws" a long time ago and our liquor stores can be open from 10-9 on Sundays.  No (extra) sales tax on spirits, wine or beer either.  What you see on the shelf tag is what you pay at check-out.   :D

Back on topic, OGDBIB is still $19.99/750 and ODG114 is $24.49.  And our shelves are still FULL (for now)!  Ssshhhhh.    ;)

Edited by GeeTen
Current Price Info

Two considerations: Beam is a public company so revenue growth is always a priority.  That would imply killing off the older stocks to recognize revenue sooner on the newer stuff.  Also, I think lower end products tend to have higher margins so that would imply killing off the higher end stuff.

On September 11, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

I thought about this all night, Steve, while scouring online inventories of OGD BIB in Virginia and Maryland to see which stores had lots on hand.  With JB BIB on sale for $18 in some places compared to OGD BIB at around $25, perhaps Beam/Suntory would like those of us currently purchasing OGD BIB to shift to the not-so-bad-in-MHO JB BIB so they could stop discounting the JB.  I could see B/S shifting focus from building brand loyalty in traditional brands supplemented by "LEs" even though they made a substantial investment in changing the design of OGD.  Said another way, "If you are driniking JBW with Coke, become a connoisseur by moving up to JB Bonded.  And, if you REALLY want to be cool, check out our LEs".  If that means they cannibalize OGD stocks to satisfy the "demand" for LEs of Basil Hayden, I would suppose it would be because the broader market (the shiny object-chasers) outnumber those of us buying on quality for price (i.e., "value" purchasers).  Brand loyalty, I guess, means nothing to advertisers who regard anyone over the age of 45 as uninfluenceable and anybody under 45 as inherently unfaithful.  ASIDE: Heck, we [over 45s] have most of the money and have most of what we NEED already.  

I think Harry is on to something here. With the recent addition of Beam Bonded to the lineup, I think that it's the OGD Bonded that is on the chopping block.

I was talking to a Beam guy today. 114 is definitely axed, it has already happened. All the inventory of it hasn't flushed out yet. The other two are safe.

5 minutes ago, TheVilleWRX said:

I was talking to a Beam guy today. 114 is definitely axed, it has already happened. All the inventory of it hasn't flushed out yet. The other two are safe.

I'll be curious to see how this plays out in TX, where the BiB is largely a myth.  Will we be stuck with just the 80 or will the 100 be more plentiful...

My question about BH is - do people really buy it, as in regular customers?  Is it like the R1 Rye that no one took much of a liking to?  Here's an example.  A local store has KCSB on sale.  It ends up being about the same price as BH.  Guess which one I would buy.  I know in theory BH shuld be a much more profitable brand, but not if it just sits around.  

Edited by PaulO

20 minutes ago, PaulO said:

My question about BH is - do people really buy it, as in regular customers?  Is it like the R1 Rye that no one took much of a liking to?  Here's an example.  A local store has KCSB on sale.  It ends up being about the same price as BH.  Guess which one I would buy.  I know in theory BH shuld be a much more profitable brand, but not if it just sits around.  

In a word, yes.  My wife has a friend who named their dog Hayden.  Several in that group of friends buy BH as one of the 3-5 bourbons they ever buy.

BH is a big mover here.  I'm not sure why, but most likely it has a lot to do with the packaging and perceived status that comes with it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.