Old Grand Dad rumor

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Several in that group of friends buy BH as one of the 3-5 bourbons they ever buy.

29 minutes ago, Paddy said:

BH is a big mover here.  I'm not sure why, but most likely it has a lot to do with the packaging and perceived status that comes with it. 

Poor souls. I think it's one of the most overpriced bourbons I've tried.

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Poor souls. I think it's one of the most overpriced bourbons I've tried.

Yup, Nice package but nothing special inside!  :(

15 hours ago, TheVilleWRX said:

I was talking to a Beam guy today. 114 is definitely axed, it has already happened. All the inventory of it hasn't flushed out yet. The other two are safe.

OK - just got three (3) OGD114s for the bunker for $73.47.  Who said "you can never have enough OGD114"???   :wacko:

Yup, Nice package but nothing special inside!  [emoji20]

I always think of a monks tunic when I see the packaging. Catholic bourbon...

What about on Sundays?  Certainly you can't buy liquor on a Sunday.  (Texas tells us we can't.)  :rolleyes:

You can buy liquor on Sundays, although a lot of the stores are closed on Sundays. I've never seen liquor for sale at a dmv, but all our dmv's are privately run, so anything is possible.

Our church has a thing against hard liquor, but even they sell beer and wine during Sunday events.

In general MO is a pretty free state from a liberal and a conservative perspective.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:54 AM, dcbt said:

What about on Sundays?  Certainly you can't buy liquor on a Sunday.  (Texas tells us we can't.)  :rolleyes:

years ago was hiking back country Utah and had hankering for brandy, but it was Sunday so knew wouldn't find it.  Drove through tiny one-horse town and low and behold, there was open liquor store.  Went in overjoyed, bought my brandy, and mentioned surprise they were open Sunday.  He looked at me with some well deserved condescension, "well, son, we're closed on Saturdays."

11 hours ago, Swoboda said:

Picked up an extra 114 for $18.99 . . . lowest price I've seen around KC . . . ?

That is a great price.  I have seen OGDBIB creep up to this price, although you can still find it on sale.

I bought an OGD114 for $18.69 after applying the 6 bottle discount.  I passed on OGDBIB on sale for $15.99 before the discount.  I picked up the bottle, walked around the store and then put it back because I wanted something else more.

On 9/16/2016 at 0:35 PM, TheVilleWRX said:

I was talking to a Beam guy today. 114 is definitely axed, it has already happened. All the inventory of it hasn't flushed out yet. The other two are safe.

A Beam guy meaning a rep or a Beam guy meaning somebody who works for Beam in Clermont or Chicago?

7 hours ago, Josh said:

A Beam guy meaning a rep or a Beam guy meaning somebody who works for Beam in Clermont or Chicago?

Not a rep. He works in the distribution warehouse in Frankfort.

30 minutes ago, TheVilleWRX said:

Not a rep. He works in the distribution warehouse in Frankfort.

Thanks for the info.  This is too bad.  OGDBIB is all right but OGD114 is a special whiskey at an outstanding price.  I guess I always thought that OGD used a different yeast than the Beam products so there is some difference between OGD and Beam products, even though they come from the same distillery.  I  must be wrong if the intent is to divert some of the OGD stock to BH. 

I know a lot of folks think BH is something special.  I often see Bakers and BH at a similar price.  While I like Bakers, I often opt for KC or KCSB which are both cheaper.

Basil Hayden is the name of the man whose image is on the OGD labels.  BH and OGD are the same except for: BH may have more age, barrel selection, and BH is only bottled at 80 proof.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Thanks for the info.  This is too bad.  OGDBIB is all right but OGD114 is a special whiskey at an outstanding price.  I guess I always thought that OGD used a different yeast than the Beam products so there is some difference between OGD and Beam products, even though they come from the same distillery.  I  must be wrong if the intent is to divert some of the OGD stock to BH. 

I know a lot of folks think BH is something special.  I often see Bakers and BH at a similar price.  While I like Bakers, I often opt for KC or KCSB which are both cheaper.

They do use a different yeast, and a different mashbill too. (Higher rye). BH also uses this yeast and mashbill.

The most annoying thing about this is that they killed it without giving the fans who have asked and asked (and ASKED) a chance to pick a barrel before they killed it.

Even if they open up the barrel selection of the same whiskey under the BH namesake, now they'll tell us "you can't get it at 114 proof because there isn't an existing label for that."

That pisses me off.

Edited by The Black Tot

This is a bummer if it turns out to be true (not saying I don't believe it, but prefer to have multiple confirmed sources).  I picked one up this weekend, but will resist the urge to stockpile for now. 

A distribution center guy in Frankfort is slightly better than a rep. Like Gary, I would like to see another source or something from a higher-up in the company before blasting Beam for killing OGD 114.

I'm sure liquor store guys are gonna run with this rumor, tho. "Buy two cases at $50 a bottle! Just between you and me, it's going away soon! Don't get left behind!"

Edited by Josh

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

There is still tons of the 114 on the shelves here (just restocked), so I'm not sure what to think...

3 hours ago, Josh said:

A distribution center guy in Frankfort is slightly better than a rep. Like Gary, I would like to see another source or something from a higher-up in the company before blasting Beam for killing OGD 114.

I'm sure liquor store guys are gonna run with this rumor, tho. "Buy two cases at $50 a bottle! Just between you and me, it's going away soon! Don't get left behind!"

What Paddy and Josh said.  The last time we heard this (as I referenced in an earlier post), OGD 114 was on sale around here  @ $2 per 750 less than OGD BIB BEFORE I diluted all the 114 to BIB strength.  OTOH, one cannot be too careful nowadays.  Hence, equal to or less than recent retail price may result in some purchases.

20 hours ago, flahute said:

They do use a different yeast, and a different mashbill too. (Higher rye). BH also uses this yeast and mashbill.

Thank you, Steve!  Now, it all makes sense to me.  

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

There is still tons of the 114 on the shelves here (just restocked), so I'm not sure what to think...

I was at high volume store over the weekend.  They had plenty of OGD114 and OGDBIB.  The OGDBIB was on sale for $15.99.    If you bought 6 or more bottles, the price would have been $13.59.  I bought OGD114.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.