What bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2016

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In light of recent developments, I picked up KC x 3 today.  While at it, I also snagged a OWA, ER10, and 'not bourbon' Bernheim.

With winter approaching, one can't have too much good whisky and rye!  :lol:

What say ye?

Grabbed a 1792 full proof backup bottle for $43 plus tax. Five dollars more than I paid for my first bottle but I really like it and hadn't seen it in awhile. I can now drink my open bottle a little more freely. Also grabbed a family size WSR for $36 plus tax. The store had a couple cases of the big boys and also of the 750's. For that price I grabbed one. It will last a year for me at least and this was a purchase of opportunity, not need or love. 

1 hour ago, Ghstudio said:

Could you decode the abbreviations for a quality bourbon neophyte.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OWA= Old Weller Antique

WSR= Weller Special Reserve

ER10= Eagle Rare 10

KC= Knob Creek

Just a heads up as a fellow tapatalk user, the abbreviations are hotlinked if you view through a web browser...except for some of the more obscure ones GaryT comes up with.

16 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Just a heads up as a fellow tapatalk user, the abbreviations are hotlinked if you view through a web browser...except for some of the more obscure ones GaryT comes up with.

That guy's a DH

3 hours ago, Ghstudio said:

Which ones have you confused?  For example, JDSBBP (sometimes also typed as JDSiBBP) is Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof.  Mostly, we take the first letter of each descriptive word for a particular bottle.  For example, EWB is Evan Williams Black label which is the 86 proof version of Evan Williams.  Similarly, EWW or EWBIB is Evan Williams White label which is their bonded (that is, at least 4 years old, exactly 100 proof, distilled in one season at one distillery (Jan-June/July-Dec) which means NONbllended like some Beam products which are produced at two major distilleries).  To be fair, I am sure that some of us, particularly later in the evening, start stringing letters together just to be contrary.  BE NOT AFRAID, Grasshopper, to ask us of what we speak.  For one thing, most of us don't live near you so can't physically threaten you for asking questions.

Don't want to appear "unknowing" in public?  Post nine more public messages, and you'll have access to "private" messaging; send a PM to one of us, and we will likely respond with much more than you wanted to know.  It's a reason we like this place - gospel spreading.B)

BY THE WAY -- Welcome to SB.  Be sure to spend some time using the "search" function on bourbons (or other spirits) you want to learn about.  This site has more info on bourbon than anyplace other than the Library of Congress.

Hey, Gary -- What's a DH?  I'm too mellow to open a new browser window and search Urban Dictionary.

Harry

EDIT - Oh, THAT kind of DH.  Got it.  [ASIDE - Talk about abbreviations we all should know  . . .:o]

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Figured it out. DUH!!

Picked up a knob creek single barrel store pick.  Aged 11 yr 7 m.  I am not a huge fan of Knob Creek but this is outstanding. 

What a day! Larceny, 4RSB, 4RSB PS(Liquor Barn OBSQ), SAOS10 (2), SAOS SB (2), WLW12 (2) and a Stagg Jr. 130.0

Edited by JTaylor

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Hey, Gary -- What's a DH?  I'm too mellow to open a new browser window and search Urban Dictionary.

Harry

EDIT - Oh, THAT kind of DH.  Got it.  [ASIDE - Talk about abbreviations we all should know  . . .:o]

:lol:

:blink:

12 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Harry

DH...Designated Hitter. You know, the NF (Non-Fielding) Position that makes AL (American League) BB (Baseball) an inferior product compared to NL (National League) BB (Baseball). 

Oh, and on the topic at hand...I picked up a new one (to me), Very Old Barton. Around $25 for a 1.75L. The manager at my store says he can only get them every few months and they don't last. Figured for the price, at least if it's not the greatest I can mix with it. When I can shake this crud, I'll give it a try and let you know what I think of it.

I had two bottle's of KC but picked up one more.  It was the first bourbon I ever tried, purchased at a store in Mobile, AL, while visiting a friend there about 18 years ago.  So I have fond memories of it, as well as just plain enjoying it.  I wish the price was more reasonable in my area, though I may stock up a bit more, regardless.

Two bottles of ECBP batch 12 @ $47 each and a 1.75L 4R Yellow Label @ $28. Both the cheapest I've ever come across. 

Awesome day, one of those that makes you care less about the fall hunt. 

I am going to create a list of abbreviations used here on my cellphone. Then as I'm browsing through total wine or other stores, I can look at a bottle and look up the initials to see if anyone recommended it

14 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

20160925_183109.jpg

Does this count??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

No.

Posted in the summer thread, but figured I would repeat here:

From my Costco in Henderson, Nevada, FRSB 100 proof (NN 78-3N) on sale for $36, $9 off the regular price of $45.

Seemed like a winner to me, picked up a couple.  There were more than a few cases to be had of this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.