What bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2016

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up the Rebel Yell 10 today.  It was refreshing to see a LE (even if it may not be that "limited") on the shelf at MSRP.  Also picked up a Balcones bourbon, the only Texas bourbon I like.  (And the only Balcones whiskey I like actually.) Lots of smokiness.  Their rum has it also, oddly enough. 

Edited by dcbt

11 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Yep! I live just North of the Indiana/Ohio line, my primary store is in Indiana. They do quite a few store selections too. Just picked up a RRSB they picked and went right back for a second! Very tasty!

That one is on my hit list. Like that they can have true sale prices. Do you ever see RHF?

2 hours ago, raymoall said:

That one is on my hit list. Like that they can have true sale prices. Do you ever see RHF?

Not lately... seems to have gone the way of ETL... I don't know why, but RHF is one I just haven't tried yet...

EC12, Red 12 x 2

Baby Saz

Old Charter 8yr, 200ml, x 2

Blood Oath, Pact2

Got the Elijah Craig 12 year for just $21 apiece. I can't remember the last time I saw EC12 that cheap! Same with the Baby Saz, it was just $25. I literally had to wipe the dust off of them. No telling how long they were on the shelf. 

Havent seen even the age stated OC in a while, so I thought I'd give these a shot since they were only the small bottles. 

A friend end at a LS had marked the BO down to 75, so I figured why not?

Found a bottle of WT 12 yo today on Ebay for 70€, it's a little pricey but what the hell. 

Friday - Rebel Yell 10yr  - not opened yet but later today to try it, a handle of store pick BT, and the 375 of A. Bowman release 13 (the Tourga/Merlot finished)

Saturday - up and on the road at 5 with my daughter - drove 5 hours to A. Smith Bowman - arrived at 10:30 - stood in line for an hour plus - got the 15th A. Bowman release (Gingerbread/Cocoa finished) - then hit a VA ABC and got several bottles of 375ml Blanton's 

Tried the Bowman #15 last night and the first pour didn't wow me but I was really tired by that point (666 miles and just over 10 hours driving) but the second pour was much better - I'll revisit it later in the week

4 bottles for the price of one BTAC (retail)

No lottery, no hunting, no stress, and no mortgage required. 

Best part, the quality isn't significantly worse than the unicorns!

IMG_20161002_092331.jpg

33 minutes ago, portwood said:

4 bottles for the price of one BTAC (retail)

No lottery, no hunting, no stress, and no mortgage required. 

Best part, the quality isn't significantly worse than the unicorns!

IMG_20161002_092331.jpg

This is a unicorn in many places.

1 hour ago, Special Reserve said:

This is a unicorn in many places.

Understood.

my point is that if you're in the game long enough, eventually, good whisky at a good price will surface ... without having to jump through hoops to get it.

no reason to spend inordinate amounts of time and/or money searching bottles that, more often than not, turn out to be only marginally better than what is already readily available.

2 hours ago, portwood said:

Understood.

my point is that if you're in the game long enough, eventually, good whisky at a good price will surface ... without having to jump through hoops to get it.

no reason to spend inordinate amounts of time and/or money searching bottles that, more often than not, turn out to be only marginally better than what is already readily available.

I agree 100%.  I have in the recent past, politely declined offers to be put on lists to call, or lotteries.  Granted there is stuff I'd like to find, but it's reasonably priced mid shelf brands in short supply and dusties.

Restocking the bar with a bonded pair of standbys today. (Kinda wish the Ritt came in a 1L, too.)

p1s9sRE.jpg

Grabbed a Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrel and a 1792 Port Finish.  

May I ask what state you got the rebel yell in? Doesn't seem to have landed in the Bay Area yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, babermac said:

May I ask what state you got the rebel yell in? Doesn't seem to have landed in the Bay Area yet.

It was just released in Kentucky. It will take 1-2 months for it to reach us on the West Coast.

It was just released in Kentucky. It will take 1-2 months for it to reach us on the West Coast.

Thanks! That's great to know.

21 hours ago, portwood said:

Understood.

There's NO reason??? I beg to differ... The price and effort required to see a live ball game or concert is certainly higher than watching on TV or listening on the radio (which many may consider "good enough") but in my opinion CERTAINLY worth the extra money and effort for the experience. Having NEVER tasted one of the Unicorns I'm willing at this point to put in a little extra time, effort, and money for a chance at the experience of tasting it myself.  At this point I'm not in this to find "good whisky" at "good prices" I'm in it to experience different whiskys and the price I'll pay in time and money is relative. I paid $94 for OFBB and $149 for OB Rhetoric 22yr NOT because I thought they'd be the best, but because they're both something I wished to experience and the price to do so was considered "worth it" to me. 

17 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

There's NO reason??? I beg to differ... The price and effort required to see a live ball game or concert is certainly higher than watching on TV or listening on the radio (which many may consider "good enough") but in my opinion CERTAINLY worth the extra money and effort for the experience. Having NEVER tasted one of the Unicorns I'm willing at this point to put in a little extra time, effort, and money for a chance at the experience of tasting it myself.  At this point I'm not in this to find "good whisky" at "good prices" I'm in it to experience different whiskys and the price I'll pay in time and money is relative. I paid $94 for OFBB and $149 for OB Rhetoric 22yr NOT because I thought they'd be the best, but because they're both something I wished to experience and the price to do so was considered "worth it" to me. 

You may find this thread helpful as you delve deeper into your new hobby:

4 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

You may find this thread helpful as you delve deeper into your new hobby:

Have you been talking to my wife?? 

22 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Have you been talking to my wife?? 

None of us are immune to the "did you buy yet another bottle of whiskey today?!?!" glare.

20 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

None of us are immune to the "did you buy yet another bottle of whiskey today?!?!" glare.

They just don't understand... Just last night I had a couple ounces of OWA left in my glass when she wanted to go to bed. I told her to give me a minute and she said... yes, she actually said this... "just dump it down the drain"... 

36 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

They just don't understand... Just last night I had a couple ounces of OWA left in my glass when she wanted to go to bed. I told her to give me a minute and she said... yes, she actually said this... "just dump it down the drain"... 

Blaspheme!

Have a pour, then put the bottle away for a couple days to a week.  A lot of folks believe it improves a bit after being opened.  Me, I never had to wait.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.