What bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2016

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I kinda' got lucky yesterday, too!  A bottle of 2016 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon (rumored to be the best in the last 5-10 years!) and a bottle of the HW Midwinter Night's Dram, Act 4, Scene 1 (ok, ok - I know it's a straight rye!) followed me home from Connecticut (damn state sales tax!). 

It's going to be a great winter!   ;)

Got another bottle of the batch 12: ECBS (136 proof). My first bottle is half gone and saw one on the shelf and had to grab it. 

Also got a OGD 114 for 17.99. Tough to pass that up for a 750ml

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Well, I kinda' got lucky yesterday, too!  A bottle of 2016 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon (rumored to be the best in the last 5-10 years!) and a bottle of the HW Midwinter Night's Dram, Act 4, Scene 1 (ok, ok - I know it's a straight rye!) followed me home from Connecticut (damn state sales tax!). 

It's going to be a great winter!   ;)

You did well!  Congrats!  It IS going to be a great winter.  Let us know how the OFBB turns out to be.

13 hours ago, $helby said:

I feel like I Won the lottery today: picked up a bottle of WLW, GTS, EHTSmB, 2 W107 and a BT.   All at state prices.   

image.jpeg

Ain't it great! When those of us with state run alcohol sales can actually find a unicorn, it's at MSRP. 

Recent batches have been very good and it's on sale here, so I picked up a couple more 750's of ER10.

14 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

How is it possible, a George T Stagg 2007 at retail, do you live in heaven ? 

No, just fortunate enough to live in a control state.  Times like this , make it a great thing. Downside is the state doesn't always buy some desirable SKUs.   

10 hours ago, BDanner said:

Ain't it great! When those of us with state run alcohol sales can actually find a unicorn, it's at MSRP. 

Absolutely.  I have had the good fortune to live in both VA and now NC.   State price controls are most beneficial with allocated items.   Everyday items not so much as there are never any loss leaders.  All in all, I prefer the state systems at least in these two instances.    

The winning streak continued today as a good friend gave me a bottle of FR Elliott's Select 2016.  Hard to beat free and it is the first FR Limited release I have ever obtained.  I did try a pour of last years limited release at a local bourbon bar and thought it was pretty good.   This one I will hold until Thanksgiving when my son and I can enjoy together.    I will consider the lucky streak continued if the hurricane doesn't severely hit our area and everyone comes through safely!     Hopefully, Floridians also will be safe tonight.   

Went looking for ETL or W12 but since they still don't have any I grabbed the last EC BP on the shelf.

On 10/3/2016 at 2:27 PM, BDanner said:

$30. Hope it lives up to the hype. 

IMG_2331.JPG

That really is a beautiful bottle, don't quite understand the desire to change it...

Drove out of state and made a few stops. It worked out well.

Weller 12 year x 3

Blanton's x2

Was so worth the trip. Stopped at 6 LS, but Found all 3 of the WL12 in the same place. 31 bucks apiece. I was lucky. Will definitely be going back in a few weeks because I found some SAOS CS 11yr that I'll be back for.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, jeffrey r said:

This was a new one for me--just picked up some Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream.  I had never seen it before in NJ, and I realize now that I could have been missing it away from the bourbon aisle and perhaps with Baileys and other stuff like that.  But anyway, it was there in the bourbon aisle, and I picked up a couple of bottles at 18.99 per bottle.  Been wanting to try this.

It makes a mean root beer float.

Well, I was lucky and snagged a 1.75 of Weller 12, from my local today, at $50. 

image.jpeg

Managed to grab a bit of a dusty today. WTKS that was bottled in 2008. This is the second bottle I have gotten from the same barrel and it is really good.

It makes a mean root beer float.

Yup, that's the plan. Just need to pick up some root beer!

12 hours ago, $helby said:

No, just fortunate enough to live in a control state.  Times like this , make it a great thing. Downside is the state doesn't always buy some desirable SKUs.   

Lucky man! 

What is "SKU"?

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

Lucky man! 

What is "SKU"?

"Stock Keeping Unit".  It's kind of like a UPC - universal product code or a "stock number".  Here's a Wiki link to a more complete answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_keeping_unit

OR -

Sometimes it refers to "SKU's Recent Eats" which is a blog run by a gentleman in the Los Angeles CAL area who comments on whiskey/whisky from time to time.  He keeps several lists of whiskies and where they are made and who makes them.  I suggest you find the blog, bookmark it, and check it out - particularly his older posts.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
an alternative answer occurred to me

ECBP #11, which had been sitting on the shelf for about a month before I figured enough waiting to see if someone else wanted it.  

Whistlepig 10 yr (I know, there is another thread for ryes, but I'm being lazy and it's bourbon-barrel finished).  On sale for $15 off, only to walk into another store and find it $25 off.......guess I know what to do if I end up liking the pig.

59 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

"Stock Keeping Unit".  It's kind of like a UPC - universal product code or a "stock number".  Here's a Wiki link to a more complete answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_keeping_unit

OR -

Sometimes it refers to "SKU's Recent Eats" which is a blog run by a gentleman in the Los Angeles CAL area who comments on whiskey/whisky from time to time.  He keeps several lists of whiskies and where they are made and who makes them.  I suggest you find the blog, bookmark it, and check it out - particularly his older posts.

Thx for th explanation and the link.

Checked my local Total Wine, no deliveries of BTACs yet, but bought the KCSmB blended for Total Wine for $36.  

Came across a lonely handle of EC (with the 12 year age statement on the back) to add to the bunker.  Those puppies are as scarce as anything Weller around here now... 

Picked up a 1792 Port.  Ironically I wasn't a huge fan of this when I sampled it last year (I liked it, but thought it was perhaps a bit heavy-handed on the port).  Reading my review notes ("I’d love to see this with a bit less port with more of the bourbon spice showing up"), I thought "Hey - with some 1792 FP, maybe I can tone down the port while cranking up the bourbon!"  

So I'll admit - I bought this bottle for mingle experimentation :)  Going to start off with a 50/50 and see how that hits me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.