What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Bruichladdich has been nothing but a disappointment to me since they discontinued the Laddie 10.  I am excited to give them another chance if/when the new 50% Laddie 10 and PC10 show up in Maryland.

I don't care if they use magic unicorn wood treated micro provenance barley from the moons of Jupiter on their LE releases.  Just give me a solid, traditionally matured and age stated core range and I'll be happy.

They did release Laddie 10 Second Limited Edition, but I have no hopes of seeing in in AZ.  I keep thinking I need a road trip to K&L Wines in California, they have a great selection and better prices that AZ.  :huh:

The Classic Laddie has potential, but I also think it needs more time in the casks.  

17 minutes ago, Darwin said:

They did release Laddie 10 Second Limited Edition, but I have no hopes of seeing in in AZ.  I keep thinking I need a road trip to K&L Wines in California, they have a great selection and better prices that AZ.  :huh:

The Classic Laddie has potential, but I also think it needs more time in the casks.  

I don't blame you.  I'm so eager for Bruichladdich to succeed, yet so disappointed in them.

The Laddie Classic tastes like baby vomit to me.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, garbanzobean said:

I don't blame you.  I'm so eager for Bruichladdich to succeed, yet so disappointed in them.

The Laddie Classic tastes like baby vomit to me.

I have steadfastly tried to avoid tasting baby vomit so I can't speak to that one! But it was nauseatingly sweet, perhaps in an effort to hide younger whisky, compared to the original Laddie 10. I do think I have a little of the Old 10 still tucked away somewhere. Perhaps an old Laddie 10, Laddie NAS, new Laddie 10 testing is in order in the near future!

I'm working through some Glen Grant 12 to kill the bottle. It was a press bottle and I couldn't even give it away to tried and true GG fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenlivet 18.

This has really grown on me.  When I first opened it a year or so ago I thought it was a bit meh, but now thoroughly enjoying it.  Refined, and everything in the right place.

Jura 16. Opening up nicely as time goes by. Sherried nose, with clove and nutmeg, and a fruity apple undertone. Taste is sweet, medium bodied for 40 abv, oaky bitterness which is inoffensive, dried fruits, and a medium long bittersweet finish. Time in the bottle is doing this whisky good.

Total Wine just opened stores in Houston at Willowbrook and Baybrook. I went to the Baybrook store and they had a Duncan Taylor blend featured for $17.  Duncan Taylor has a great reputation and $17 is a fantastic price. The stuff is pretty good for the price.

Glendronach 21 tonight.
Man I really love this whisky. I better go out and grab another bottle before the price doubles

Doing best to recover from the damage of Burns Night, Part Deux, last night. In amongst the potted hough, mackerel pate, black pudding, suet pudding and of course that star of the show, Haggis complete with neeps and tatties I did manage to work in a few whiskies to include the traditional Robert Burns blended whisky from Arran, Auchentoshen three Wood, Ardmore Legacy, Glen Garioch 12, Laphroaig Select and Bowmore 18.

Trying to get going this morning. The lights, the bright, bright lights. Oh, the huge manatee!.  OK, actually wasn't all that tough to get up and get back to it. I think the suet soaks up a lot of alcohol...

Simon Tait, direct from Scotland, performing "Address to a Haggis" (and slicing them open for all to enjoy!) in memory of his late brother Alistair "Ali" Tait who began the Burns Dinner tradition at Mac McGees 6 years ago.

Burns Night Haggis 2017.JPG

Always a fun evening!

35 minutes ago, maybeling said:

Nice, wish I could have made it. I see Casey was there, any other familiar faces?

Other than Courtney, Anton and the rest of the regular crew working the bar I did not see anyone I knew other than in passing from seeing them at the bar on occasion.

I learned that Anton will be leaving this summer (not of his choosing) so that is a bit of a shame. We always got along well.

Started with the last pour of Hazelburn 10 in the bottle. Moved onto BenRiach 17 Septendecim. 

Cheers all!

Winter is over down here, we may hit 80 this coming week.   I am going to finish the last few drams of Talisker Storm before I switch to a Speyside.  

With the sad unfortunate death of that meh Linkwood, I opened a Compass Box Flaming Heart 2015.  I have to admit, this is delicious.  Lush might be a good word.  Reminds me a bit of Port Askaig 19.  Might need to grab another . . .

Fire is on. Bowmore 10 Tempest Batch 5 in the glass. Drop of water in this and some time in the glass and it's quite the pour. Cheers!

Bit chilly here today. Having a pour of Monkey Shoulder with a beer whilst doing the cooking. Cheers all!

Screenshot_20170211-175746.png

First pour of night is Glenmorangie, wonderful stuff.  I am not a big fan of traditional malt, but this stuff with its floral and subtle flavor hits the spot.

20170211_210814.jpg

After dinner it was a couple of fingers of Compass Box Spice Tree Extravaganza. That is just a damn nice whiskey. I'm glad I happened into a second bottle.

Neat, I found this is overly sweet, but with the addition of water... It's pretty dam good. Dangerously drinkable. Cheers! 

Screenshot_20170213-222931.png

Enjoyed some Laphroaig PX after dinner last night.  May need to find a cheap international flight for an excuse to get another :) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.