Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have seen it in Indy recently for $53.99. I saw it in NW Indiana yesterday for $45.99.

That's a really great price. $48.99 is the cheapest I've found it in Indy.

I have found one store in Minneapolis that sells it for $46.99, that's the cheapest I've seen it. It's usually $50-55.

I have found one store in Minneapolis that sells it for $46.99, that's the cheapest I've seen it. It's usually $50-55.

I'd grab a couple if I were you. If they're batch #3 or #4, I'd grab more than a couple. I've been fairly lucky because that's the price I've paid for most of the Stagg Jr's I've found around where I live.

Cheers! Joe

I'd grab a couple if I were you. If they're batch #3 or #4, I'd grab more than a couple. I've been fairly lucky because that's the price I've paid for most of the Stagg Jr's I've found around where I live.

Cheers! Joe

This price was for batch #4. I greatly enjoyed batch #3, and have a few bottles of batch 3 and 4 stocked away! Perhaps I should get a few more of batch #4.....!

Two stores in WashDC (one bottle in each that I could see) were offering Batch 5 earlier this week for $99.99 plus tax. That's what Batch 4 went for early this year; at least, we haven't seen a bump in price from #4 to #5 - thanks for small favors.

Its not as good. 4 to me is the best of the bunch.

Batch 3 was good, Batch 4 was excellent.

Batch 5 is my favorite thus far. More Stagg Sr. notes. More of the good spice & heat. More of everything, basically.

They are really dialing this in.

I can't think of anything better to drink right now if you're looking for this profile. This stuff is readily available everywhere around here.

Has anyone tried Batch 5 yet? I'm curious to see how it compares to batches 3 & 4...

I cracked open a bottle of Batch 5 last night and thought it was fantastic. I have a bottle of Batch 4 but have not tried it yet. Based on what I tasted last night, Batch 4 must be mind blowing because I thought the latest batch was killer from start to finish.

I was so impressed with batch 4, I bought every bottle (6) that my store had - $52.95 ea. Can't get enough of it! The store owner advised me to drink them slowly as he was told not to expect any more Stagg Jr anytime soon due to allocation. He told me this a few days AFTER I had bought them all, so I can't imagine he was blowing smoke just to get me to buy more.

Thought I would give an update on batch numbers. At this point 3&4 are the best to me.

B-#1 - 134.4p

B-#2 - 128.7p

B-#3 - 132.1p

B-#4 - 132.2p

B-#5 - 129.7p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With batch 5 being so well recommended I've picked up a few bottles recently and just opened one. I see why it's getting the love. Great favors and nose. The only thing I find lacking is a longer finish

Buddy sent me a text today to let me know the Total wine near me had Batch 5 in stock. He was stuck at work, so I headed down to grab one for him.

They were stashed away, so I had to ask for it, and was told their policy was one bottle per person. Of course, I had to get it for my buddy.

I texted my Step-daughter who was in the area, and she headed over to TW, showed the guy the pic of the bottle I sent her.

He laughed, and said "I just sold that bottle. I know who sent you that pic". He then went in the back and retrieved one for her, which she just dropped off here.

10 minutes ago, GrPeMi said:

Weird...my TW has 'em just sitting on the shelf...

Things like that vary from market to market.  Even within the same city.  We have Spec's, a big chain throughout Texas, and depending on the part of town, they might have something desirable like Weller 12 sit on a shelf for weeks while another location keeps it in back for those that ask for it specifically.  I keep seeing it, but it blows my mind every time.

Edited by jaxn slim

Stagg Jr doesn't sit on the shelves around here too long. A few bottles show up, then they're gone. A couple of weeks or so later, and again, a few more bottles show up, and so on and so on. I think there's a couple of reasons for that, at least in the area I live.

I live in reasonably close proximity to Chicago, and we basically have the same distributors. IMHO, Chicago tends to be first in line for many things, while we have to wait for the trickle down 'round here. I also think that distributors have a pretty full agenda concerning, for lack of a better term, their regularly stocked, faster moving items. I can't help but surmise that when something that's not a 'regular' item shows up, or it's not in case or multiple case lots, it may get set aside for a while until there's a break in the action.

Case in point. I was at a store this past Sunday. Two sales guys were there from two different distributors. I chatted them up for just a bit. They were both lamenting the fact that they had to work on a Sunday because of the holiday rush. Believe me when I say that they weren't just putting out a few odd bottles here and there on the shelves. They were pretty much humping cases. Just my two cents.

Cheers! Joe

Stagg Jr was a really easy find for me up until recently, and it was always at $50 despite other items like Weller and other BT products being marked up considerably.

Like ECBP, Stagg Jr. seems to be plentiful here.  It's the only good thing about being a bourbon enthusiast in Washington State.

21 hours ago, jaxn slim said:

Things like that vary from market to market.  Even within the same city.  We have Spec's, a big chain throughout Texas, and depending on the part of town, they might have something desirable like Weller 12 sit on a shelf for weeks while another location keeps it in back for those that ask for it specifically.  I keep seeing it, but it blows my mind every time.

OH is a control state. My local merchant says that what he gets is based on the state's interpretation of what the demographics within a radius of the store really want. Stores in different parts of town get different stuff.  Another store, only a mile from me, does not sell OGD, for example. I must have been out of town when the state demographers called to find out what I really want. Have never seen a bottle of Stagg--Junior or Senior--in OH. The whole state is not part of the demographics.

Edited by Flyfish

On 12/22/2015, 9:57:23, DonutsNBourbon said:

Stagg Jr was a really easy find for me up until recently, and it was always at $50 despite other items like Weller and other BT products being marked up considerably.

After a visit to the dentist today, I visited three stores (but if anybody asks, traffic was TERRIBLE which is why it took so long to get home) and two of the three had Stagg Jr.  All three were selling it for $99.99 plus tax.  That seems to be the new normal in WashDC.

15 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

After a visit to the dentist today, I visited three stores (but if anybody asks, traffic was TERRIBLE which is why it took so long to get home) and two of the three had Stagg Jr.  All three were selling it for $99.99 plus tax.  That seems to be the new normal in WashDC.

yikes, so are you saying that I should stock up immediately? ;D  my WN is gonna start up again...

• 8 months later...

I'm heard rumors it's in hazmat territory - 141 proof.

Batch 6 is definitely growing on me as it gets some air ("only" 132.5 proof).  It's still a butt-kicker, but a really nice Calvados-type apple note along with the toffee and dark chocolate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.