Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, Guardian Enzo said:

I'm heard rumors it's in hazmat territory - 141 proof.

Batch 6 is definitely growing on me as it gets some air ("only" 132.5 proof).  It's still a butt-kicker, but a really nice Calvados-type apple note along with the toffee and dark chocolate.

I know the Sr. is hazmat this year. I'd be surprised if the Jr was. 

Kyrocklover posted a stagg jr of 130.0 in the what have you purchased thread. That may be it. 

4 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I know the Sr. is hazmat this year. I'd be surprised if the Jr was. 

Kyrocklover posted a stagg jr of 130.0 in the what have you purchased thread. That may be it. 

130.0 would be correct. I just picked up a bottle yesterday. Unfortuantely it will be a while before I try it as I have a backlog of the previous batches to make it thru first. Please let me know what the profile is like if anyone finds one a tries it in the coming days.

1 hour ago, elmossle said:

130.0 would be correct. I just picked up a bottle yesterday. Unfortuantely it will be a while before I try it as I have a backlog of the previous batches to make it thru first. Please let me know what the profile is like if anyone finds one a tries it in the coming days.

Backlog preventing you from opening a recent purchase? What kind of enthusiast are you? :D Open that sucker!!

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Backlog preventing you from opening a recent purchase? What kind of enthusiast are you? :D Open that sucker!!

Yeah - I mean - you need to do the SBS of the various batches to ensure that if THIS one is amazing by comparison, you can stockpile like the world is coming to an end!  Or at least share your thoughts and empower other enthusiasts to stockpile :)  

23 hours ago, flahute said:

Oh don't worry, it will be opened alright. I unfortunately have to make room for it in the cabinet first! After that huddle is overcome, then I have a few other batches I want to hit first. Plus I am hoping to get multiples just in case this is a bad batch.:) You know I would hate for the rest of you all suffer drinking this stuff if it is no good.

Just picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr (136 proof).  Is this release #7?  If so, let me know if anyone's tried it + how it compares to #4, 5, 6.  Cheers!

Mine is 132.6 proof and just came came in  to my local store in August. I can't compare to previous releases, but I found it to have a lot of bitter oak. I've since read from other reviewers that this one is more bitter than previous releases. 

4 hours ago, BDanner said:

Mine is 132.6 proof and just came came in  to my local store in August. I can't compare to previous releases, but I found it to have a lot of bitter oak. I've since read from other reviewers that this one is more bitter than previous releases. 

Are you sure it wasn't 132.5?

Yeah, just got my bottle today. I'll be glad to pop the top and put it by 132.2 and 132.5 (5&6) and give my little opinion. I might need help getting up though.

Now the BIG task is to get the colossal 144.1 GTS 16. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I find the #6 really improves with air - it's gotten much smoother and less hot in the month or so I've had it open.  It was complex and deep right out of the bottle, but more than a little rough around the edges.

Was looking for this earlier so in an effort to keep the batches up to date this is what I have so far.

Batch 1 - 134.4 pf

Batch 2 - 128.7 pf

Batch 3 - 132.1 pf

Batch 4 - 132.2 pf

Batch 5 - 129.7 pf

Batch 6 - 132.5 pf

Batch 7 - 130.0 pf

36 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Was looking for this earlier so in an effort to keep the batches up to date this is what I have so far.

Batch 1 - 134.4 pf

Batch 2 - 128.7 pf

Batch 3 - 132.1 pf

Batch 4 - 132.2 pf

Batch 5 - 129.7 pf

Batch 6 - 132.5 pf

Batch 7 - 130.0 pf

That's good intel, thanks.  Blake over at bourbonr is good about keeping the ECBPs updated but not so much with the Stagg Jr.

Edited by dcbt
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Is the boom over? At my local total wine there have been 4 bottles of jr sitting on the shelves for around a month. It's taking every ounce of will power not to buy these.

5 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Is the boom over? At my local total wine there have been 4 bottles of jr sitting on the shelves for around a month. It's taking every ounce of will power not to buy these.

I have seen bottles of Stagg Jr sitting on some shelves as well. The Total Wine near me sells it for $45.99 as well so it's not like people are staying away because of gouge  pricing

11 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I have seen bottles of Stagg Jr sitting on some shelves as well. The Total Wine near me sells it for $45.99 as well so it's not like people are staying away because of gouge  pricing

I agree. I' m torn between stagg and EC BP... $65 for EC & $45 for stagg. What does everybody think? Is EC worth the $20 difference? I know, first world problems.

58 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

I agree. I' m torn between stagg and EC BP... $65 for EC & $45 for stagg. What does everybody think? Is EC worth the $20 difference? I know, first world problems.

It's hard to say whether it is worth $20 more but I do think it has an edge over Stagg Jr. I find them both at a similar price point where I am located ~$52. In my case I just bought a bottle of both.....first world solutions ;)!

8 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I wouldn't hesitate to buy both at those prices.  I know ECBP's price has been inching upwards over its history but that's still in line with what I see, and I haven't seen Stagg Jr for 45 in a long time, that's a good deal. 

Edit to add they are different animals.  ECBP lends more oak; Stagg Jr has more of a cinnamon spice (on my palate at least).  Just sayin', they are different enough to buy both if you can afford it.

Edited by dcbt

11 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I would go with the ECBP, Stagg Jr. is also good though.

2 hours ago, dcbt said:

I wouldn't hesitate to buy both at those prices.  I know ECBP's price has been inching upwards over its history but that's still in line with what I see, and I haven't seen Stagg Jr for 45 in a long time, that's a good deal. 

Edit to add they are different animals.  ECBP lends more oak; Stagg Jr has more of a cinnamon spice (on my palate at least).  Just sayin', they are different enough to buy both if you can afford it.

Agree on the taste as well. Also agree, if ya got the money get them both.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.