What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A small pour of Old Fitz BIB, which isn't really doing it for me tonight. Not that it's bad, but I keep remembering how amazing the old DSP-16 whiskey was and this one just isn't in the same league

Just did the comparison of OE7/101 and Virgin 7/101 and posted in the Reviews Forum

Now what???

Old Kentucky Barrel Select - as is says on the label... 4 yrs old and 80 proof

Took delivery of two (2) WT MK Decades today - one for me and one for my Army Ranger School buddy whom I'll see at an upcoming reunion.  It's been decades since Ranger School, so this seemed appropriate.

Although I had a taste of it recently (poured by Eddie Russell, no less), this was my first chance to savor.  Neat, it opens warm and peppery with hints of charcoal.  After a few moments, on the second sip, the pepper has faded a bit.  I added - literally - two drops of room temp water to the remaining 1.5 oz., and the third sip tasted like a chocolate covered bourbon-soaked cherry.  It has gotten more interesting since then.

For those of you who, like me, are leery of "older" bourbons due to oakiness, don't pass it by based just on age; Decades says it is a mix of 10 to 20 year olds, but it is no woodier than EC 12 IMO.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Revisited the ECBP A117 tonight.  It still isn't up to the level the C916 batch hit, but tonight it was much more pleasant than before. Still oak forward, but much more complex this time with some spice and some red fruit coming through. The bottle is at about 3/4 full now and it seems the air has done it some good. 

Enjoyed a pour of Woodford Double Oaked.  I like the upfrontness of the oak.  I caught a light spice in the middle.  The finish is a little thinner than I would like but over all for me an enjoyable pour.  Followed that up with a pour of Bulleit Rye.  I started out and still consider myself more of a wheated bourbon kind of guy but I really do enjoy the dry spiciness of the rye.

I've been away from bourbon since Wednesday. Took a day off Thursday, had some Irish on Friday and Saturday along with one Scotch. The time away did me some good.

I'm drinking from my second bottle of RY10yr (not the one I bought yesterday). It's different from the first one that was like liquid Werther's candy. This one is more oak driven. Due to my little break (or maybe because it's just been a while), I'm getting less oak tannin and much more spice to go with the sweetness. It's more balanced than I remember. 

I think I will follow with a 12yr old KCSB.

Yesterday afternoon, to celebrate the 'Cats win over Wichita State, opened a 2013 4R SiB LE and enjoyed a couple of pours.  

Yesterday afternoon, to celebrate the 'Cats win over Wichita State, opened a 2013 4R SiB LE and enjoyed a couple of pours.  

Excellent way to celebrate! C-A-T-S, Cats, Cats, Cats!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

Last night, to drown my sorrows over the Card's puking up a 9 point lead I had the aforementioned WR Double Oaked and the Bulleit Rye. :(:)

A modified SB.com blend before dinner - 2:2:1, OWA, W12, WLW.  Great stuff which hits up front then smooths out to a super delicious dram.  Probably the addition of the '15 WLW took the proof up a bit.  Gonna' try a mix of 3:2:1, OWA, W12, WLW in a SBS after dinner tonite.  Got a warm glow going already.  Guess SWMBO is driving tonite.   :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

A modified SB.com blend before dinner - 2:2:1, OWA, W12, WLW.  Great stuff which hits up front then smooths out to a super delicious dram.  Probably the addition of the '15 WLW took the proof up a bit.  Gonna' try a mix of 3:2:1, OWA, W12, WLW in a SBS after dinner tonite.  Got a warm glow going already.  Guess SWMBO is driving tonite.   :rolleyes:

Now you're getting into my territory GeeTen. ^_^ A suggestion from the master if you don't mind..... I'd experiment a bit and see if you can add some WLW, and still make your blend around 100 proof. ;) A blend of Weller's at around 100 proof can be absolutely delicious. (a'la Centennial) I know you might have to use more W12, but that's a sacrifice we must sometimes make.:huh: Another suggestion would be to try and make your blend around 107 proof. In other words, OWA Supreme. :) Believe me when I say that I'm not trying to steal your thunder here. I've been blending Weller's for five or six years now, and I'm just trying to help.

Cheers! Joe  

Just poured a glass of 4RYL alongside a glass of 4R Black Label to compare - haven't had the yellow label in a couple of years at the distillery but have really been enjoying the one bottle of the Black Label I have and looking to see how close in flavor these two are since the Black Label is hard to get as I don't travel to Japan

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Now you're getting into my territory GeeTen. ^_^ A suggestion from the master if you don't mind..... I'd experiment a bit and see if you can add some WLW, and still make your blend around 100 proof. ;) A blend of Weller's at around 100 proof can be absolutely delicious. (a'la Centennial) I know you might have to use more W12, but that's a sacrifice we must sometimes make.:huh: Another suggestion would be to try and make your blend around 107 proof. In other words, OWA Supreme. :) Believe me when I say that I'm not trying to steal your thunder here. I've been blending Weller's for five or six years now, and I'm just trying to help.

Cheers! Joe  

I have plenty of OWA and W12.  So I'd love some suggestions on ratios for your 100pf and 107pf blends.  I still have about 1/2 bottle of the '15 WLW that I'd vat to stretch it.  Any help you may give would be greatly appreciated - please feel free to take all the thunder.   :D

And I really like the Dant BIB for an everyday dram - I should check out the pedigree more closely (that's bad English, isn't it?).   :lol:

First time ever trying this.  One of the very few Sazerac/BT products I have not tried.  This bottle was from 2012.

Really enjoyed it.  Has that familiar eagle rare taste, but much more sophisticated and there's a kind of spicy cherry thing going on.

Would honestly enjoy finding a bottle of this someday.  It would be hard to stay out of for sure.

IMAG1874[1].jpg

Also tried I.W. Harper 15 year for the first time (forgot to take a picture).

Although initially unimpressed, after about 15 minutes it opened up beautifully.

I enjoyed it, but I think the price is a bit high.

Two days of yard work (mostly cutting two incredibly large hydrangea beds) have left me with tired hands.  Hence, I'm calming down while taking no chances on spillage -- JB BIB in a plastic glass. With a FAT bottom.  EDIT: the glass has a fat bottom.  I remain mum on whether I do, too.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Just to be clear about bottoms

49 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Two days of yard work (mostly cutting two incredibly large hydrangea beds) have left me with tired hands.  Hence, I'm calming down while taking no chances on spillage -- JB BIB in a plastic glass. With a FAT bottom.  EDIT: the glass has a fat bottom.  I remain mum on whether I do, too.

I was thinking glass all the way. I know how you roll.

On topic: opened a new ETL that I purchased Saturday. This is the ETL I remember - an exemplary example of BT mash #2 with a thick mouthfeel. It's in the high $30's now but is worth that cost if it's going to taste like this. 

No clue what my follow up will be. Perhaps I'll throw a dart.

First time ever trying this.  One of the very few Sazerac/BT products I have not tried.  This bottle was from 2012.
Really enjoyed it.  Has that familiar eagle rare taste, but much more sophisticated and there's a kind of spicy cherry thing going on.
Would honestly enjoy finding a bottle of this someday.  It would be hard to stay out of for sure.
58d09348cdb30_IMAG18741.thumb.jpg.efa6c0b72e70ef08c2c0695e18fb5813.jpg

What bar was that?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I was thinking glass all the way. I know how you roll.

On topic: opened a new ETL that I purchased Saturday. This is the ETL I remember - an exemplary example of BT mash #2 with a thick mouthfeel. It's in the high $30's now but is worth that cost if it's going to taste like this. 

No clue what my follow up will be. Perhaps I'll throw a dart.

Sounds good. I had a pour of ETL last night and it was very good, but the one department that it lacks is the mouthfeel. This bottle seems to be tasting  less reserved as I get further into it. It had more bite last night than usual and the pour of BT afterward lacked its usual goodness. Palate may need recalibration.

6 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

What bar was that?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

They told me not to let you in....

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 8:45 PM, Swoboda said:

Old Forester Single Barrel . . . just finishing up a bottle of this.  Don't see it on any shelves.  Would restock at the original $29.  Anybody seeing this?

Our Liquor Barn just got a bunch in.  However, it is $41.99, not $29.  Thinking of picking up a bottle.  Been thinking about getting a OF Prohibition Style but this is $18 less so . . . ? ? ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.