What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So it's been winter for a few weeks now, so time for a new thread!  passed up on AECS for $160 and some OWA for $45...  still struggling to get through my 2015 AECS bottle, so not gonna get another one.

3 hours ago, emr454 said:

Passed up Bakers at $50 and WSR at $35/750mL yesterday

WSR at $35 is ridiculous. More than I paid for all of my OWA and 2 of my 3 W12 this year. 

12 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

WSR at $35 is ridiculous. More than I paid for all of my OWA and 2 of my 3 W12 this year. 

IIRC, I paid $25 for the one I bought a few years ago. How quickly things change huh?

do stores get incentivized to move through product at a certain point?

I ask because I've been running around checking out a bucnh of stores in my area and four separate stores that have no relation to each other have really pushed regular willett (the one with the bottle that looks like a hookah that goes for around 30$)  and just gushing about it and then standing there as if expecting me to snatch up everything they have left.  None of the people seemed to have any particular knowledge of bourbon....so it just struck me as weird and I figured there must be some mandate/incentive/something from willett to move units since multiple stores were pushing it on me form "non-bourboners"...

or am I just imagining things

Left a bottle of Yipee Ki Yay on the shelf @ $79.99... wanted to get SB's thoughts. Is that too high? About right? 

5 minutes ago, Knocksville10 said:

Left a bottle of Yipee Ki Yay on the shelf @ $79.99... wanted to get SB's thoughts. Is that too high? About right? 

Giving someone price advice is always a bit dicey since your capacity to spend on luxury goods may be way different than mine. But I bought one for closer to $65 and wouldn't buy another. Too much vermouth influence for me. It's a cocktail in a bottle but I'd rather make my own for a fraction of the price. 

8 minutes ago, Knocksville10 said:

Prices vary by location so hard to say. YKY can be a bit of surprise to some if you are not interested in or accustomed to finished whiskey. I think the original bottles I found here in Atlanta were closer to $70 but you don't see much left on the shelf and I am not sure how much more HW is likely to make. For some reason I recall David telling me it was gone from the distillery. I don't know if that is for good or just for this season.

Edited by tanstaafl2

45 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

Giving someone price advice is always a bit dicey since your capacity to spend on luxury goods may be way different than mine. But I bought one for closer to $65 and wouldn't buy another. Too much vermouth influence for me. It's a cocktail in a bottle but I'd rather make my own for a fraction of the price. 

That's a fair point. Typically I don't mind paying $10ish more than what is "normal" if it's something that is uncommon in E. TN. I appreciate the insight, I honestly don't know anything about it

outside of a few people who seemed to really enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, bourbs bro said:

do stores get incentivized to move through product at a certain point?

I ask because I've been running around checking out a bucnh of stores in my area and four separate stores that have no relation to each other have really pushed regular willett (the one with the bottle that looks like a hookah that goes for around 30$)  and just gushing about it and then standing there as if expecting me to snatch up everything they have left.  None of the people seemed to have any particular knowledge of bourbon....so it just struck me as weird and I figured there must be some mandate/incentive/something from willett to move units since multiple stores were pushing it on me form "non-bourboners"...

or am I just imagining things

It's possible there's incentive to move product, though I would think  it would be coming from the distributor rather than from Willett. Perhaps the distributor was selling it for cheaper than usual, so these stores bought some in hopes of making a higher-than-average profit margin on it. In this hypothetical scenario, I suppose the price drop could have originated from Willett. I have no insider knowledge of the 3-tier system, though, so I could be off. There are a few folks here who own or work for liquor stores and they may have insight.

Another possibility is that these stores simultaneously realized that the damn bottle takes up too much space on the shelf and they could be displaying more product if they had something else in its place.

47 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Prices vary by location so hard to say. YKY can be a bit of surprise to some if you are not interested in or accustomed to finished whiskey. I think the original bottles I found here in Atlanta were closer to $70 but you don't see much left on the shelf and I am not sure how much more HW is likely to make. For some reason I recall David telling me it was gone from the distillery. I don't know if that is for good or just for this season.

Ah yes, being gone for the season vs. being gone for good is a decent difference. If gone for good, I wouldn't mind having one to say I've tried it haha

1 hour ago, Knocksville10 said:

We could always find out if it's worth it. I'm up for a tasting experience at half of that price, you know what I mean?

8 minutes ago, knoxdocs said:

We could always find out if it's worth it. I'm up for a tasting experience at half of that price, you know what I mean?

I have two bottles of it, both Batch 8.  I paid $59.99 + tax for the first and $54.99 + tax for the second.  I would not have bought the second if I had tried the first one.  It is VERY vermouth-forward.  It is a bottled Manhattan with more vermouth than I would make my own with to my taste buds.  It's not BAD, it's just not something I find I prefer.

8 hours ago, Clueby said:

I have two bottles of it, both Batch 8.  I paid $59.99 + tax for the first and $54.99 + tax for the second.  I would not have bought the second if I had tried the first one.  It is VERY vermouth-forward.  It is a bottled Manhattan with more vermouth than I would make my own with to my taste buds.  It's not BAD, it's just not something I find I prefer.

Wow the price has gone up so MUCH since you bought. I would rather just pay a fair price for a bottle of less APPRECIATED bourbon. Passed on a bottle of OW12 today, 99$  Had my eyes set on a couple reasonably priced bottles from the same family.

On 1/11/2017 at 8:28 PM, emr454 said:

IIRC, I paid $25 for the one I bought a few years ago. How quickly things change huh?

The only WSR I ever bought was 9.99 back when there were cases of it and I gave about 1/3rd the bottle away as I just couldn't get through it, good pass.   

Out for a hunt today. Passed on everything so far. MWND $100, ORVW10 $350, Lot B $450. The only thing I thought about buying was some FC6 pints. 

Out for a hunt today. Passed on everything so far. MWND $100, ORVW10 $350, Lot B $450. The only thing I thought about buying was some FC6 pints. 

I probably would have gone for the MWND just because they are impossible to find locally and I love it.

Passed on a Bird Dog 10 yr bourbon whiskey. Didn't see a price on it but it was in the "high roller" room. Never heard of it and I like that it has an age statement but I can't help but think of Bird Dog as a bottle shelf because that's where I always see the flavored stuff. Is this one any good?

I stopped in a local chain earlier this evening.  Looking to pick up a couple bottles of KC 9 year which they have on sale.  I ended up passing because the sale price is the same price as I can get elsewhere and I didn't feel like spending time in line.   While not the highest priced chain in Indy, absent sales, this chain's pricing is often 10 to 20% higher than the prices offered at other chains.  I passed on a standard FR SiB for $49.99.  I could drive less than 10 miles and buy any of the 10 FR recipe PS for $49.99.  They had a KCSB PS for $49.99.  It was labelled as 126 proof.  I can go 15 miles the other direction and get a KCSB PS for $39.99.  I do buy from this chain but usually have to wait for a sale.

I also passed on 6 different Jefferson's offerings.  These ranged from the lower end offering to their higher end offering.  So, if anyone in the Indy area is looking for a particular Jefferson's bottle, they probably have it.  They also have 4 or 5 different Whistle Pig bottles from the standard 10 year to the highest priced bottle.  I believe it was around $300.  They had several WTMK, the JB LE (can't recall the name) and several KC 2001s.  No Bookers but plenty OGD 114 for $25.99.  I applaud their selection, I just wish their prices for regular bottles were more reasonable.  If anyone in Indy is interested in any of the bottles mentioned, send me a PM for the location.

Edited by mbroo5880i

While squiring the wife on an out of town shopping trip, I passed on:

Buffalo Trace - shelves full of it in Louisiana, but none to be found in Texas or Arkansas

AH Hirsch 16yr, $1,999  - the third bottle I've seen in the wild, just as overpriced as the others

StaggJr Batch 4, $55 - several LS had them, so I'll be back later

Baby Saz 1.75L, $42 - a damn good deal, kicking myself for passing, so I'll be back soon

Blood Oath, pact 1, $92 (bottle was dusty, offered them 70, but they wouldn't take it)

Jefferson's Ocean, cask strength, $85

Whistle Pig 10yr

KC2001, $120

SAOS, 10yr, cask strength, $55 - was a little disappointed with the the last one I bought

11 minutes ago, Niner Outlaw said:

While squiring the wife on an out of town shopping trip, I passed on:

Buffalo Trace - shelves full of it in Louisiana, but none to be found in Texas or Arkansas

AH Hirsch 16yr, $1,999  - the third bottle I've seen in the wild, just as overpriced as the others

StaggJr Batch 4, $55 - several LS had them, so I'll be back later

Baby Saz 1.75L, $42 - a damn good deal, kicking myself for passing, so I'll be back soon

Blood Oath, pact 1, $92 (bottle was dusty, offered them 70, but they wouldn't take it)

Jefferson's Ocean, cask strength, $85

Whistle Pig 10yr

KC2001, $120

SAOS, 10yr, cask strength, $55 - was a little disappointed with the the last one I bought

I didn't even know they offered Baby Saz in 1.75L. I've seen 750s priced close to that.  I've suddenly seen WP10 everywhere lately.

A store I frequent has always had numerous bottles of Pearce Lyons Reserve and Town Branch sitting on the shelf. I swear I have never seen a bottle of either one move. I go in tonight and both items were gone. Does someone know something I don't about those two or can liquor stores send back items that don't sell for an extended period of time?

Saw a few age-stated KC liters today for $38. None of the 750mL bottles there had an age statement on them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.