What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Old Dusty said:

I would pass on that particular Hirsch if it was $13.30.  But that price is insane and the whiskey is trash. IMO of course.

Another local store has (had?) a bottle of it for $160! 0895 helped me out with that decision to pass. It really wasn't a decision but i was like "wtf is that stuff?"

20170102_181720_crop_249x744.jpg

20 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Another local store has (had?) a bottle of it for $160! 0895 helped me out with that decision to pass. It really wasn't a decision but i was like "wtf is that stuff?"

Sourced whiskey aged in used cooperage. Trading on the AH Hirsch name and hoping to dupe people into buying it. But I swear seeing this a few years ago for $50 or so. The "new market" pricing is more absurd than the crappy product inside. You were smart to swerve it. 

Yeah even the decriptions on the bottle were suspect. "Illinois Whiskey", "American Whiskey", but the distilling company listed as Missouri, "distilled from bourbon mash". They should have just covered the bottle in red flags!

1 hour ago, Old Dusty said:

Sourced whiskey aged in used cooperage. Trading on the AH Hirsch name and hoping to dupe people into buying it. But I swear seeing this a few years ago for $50 or so. The "new market" pricing is more absurd than the crappy product inside. You were smart to swerve it. 

Yeah, it was out a few years ago.  Now it's been "found again".....with a new bottle label???.....at a significant price increase......wtf is going on....where did they just find it at?

I smell a marketing ploy.

Really wanna try the darn stuff though...:wacko:

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

They should have just covered the bottle in red flags!

20170102_181720_crop_249x744.jpg.dda00335d6f1eff65204476e5b3f9082.jpg

Edited by 0895

12 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Yeah, it was out a few years ago.  Now it's been "found again".....with a new bottle label???.....at a significant price increase......wtf is going on....where did they just find it at?

I smell a marketing ploy.

Really wanna try the darn stuff though...:wacko:

I've tried it. Never felt any need to have it again. Regardless of price

13 hours ago, Benny's Bourbon said:

Parkers Malt $79.  Seemed like a decent price but I was not sure

The price isn't far from the original retail, at least around my neck of the woods. 

The distillate inside is pretty controversial, as far as: like it / love it / hate it, opinions.  

Personally I like it quite well; but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this board for holding that opinion. 

It is unique for certain.    It ISN'T a scotch-like dram at all, if that's what you're thinking.       Aging in a much hotter climate, in typical charred oak new Bourbon-style barrels, lends a far different influence than a typical malt whiskey from abroad.

I recommend you try a sample somewhere before you commit that much cheddar to a dram so unlike almost anything else.    ...Unless that much cheese isn't a significant investment for you.

22 hours ago, 0895 said:

Today I passed on

-a Hirsch Selection 20 year American Whiskey for $133

Feel like Barterhouse 20 yr. @ $75 is just such a better deal

Is this the Illinois Whiskey distilled in Feb 1987? 

If so... I'm ISO of those guys!  I was born in 1987, in Illinois, and as far as I've been told I also taste like shit.   Like not even joking I'm hording those bottles.  Where was it at

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

Did it still say Feb 1987 on it?

31 minutes ago, namadio said:

Did it still say Feb 1987 on it?

I'm pretty sure that line under the "Aged 20 Years" says "Distilled from Bourbon Mash - 02.27.87".  I saw that one at a Friar Tuck's in Gravois Bluffs in Fenton, MO.  Not sure where 0895 saw the other one for $133.

Edited by Clueby

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

Skipped on Very Old Barton BIB at 22.99.   Seemed like a decent price -- especially for here in Chicago...

VOB BIB can usually be found for $15 or so around these parts.  one of my best buys as I love this stuff at this price range.

49 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I'm pretty sure that line under the "Aged 20 Years" says "Distilled from Bourbon Mash - 02.27.87".  I saw that one at a Friar Tuck's in Gravois Bluffs in Fenton, MO.  Not sure where 0895 saw the other one for $133.

Those prices pretty crazy.  I think the original MSRP was 70 which everyone agrees was way too much for this garbage!

1 hour ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

VOB BIB can usually be found for $15 or so around these parts.  one of my best buys as I love this stuff at this price range.

Yep, what DNB said.

I just picked one up last week for $12.99 +tax. Hadn't had one in a while, so I thought I'd give it another whirl. Glad I did. It's better than I remember. Tastes pretty darn good. 

Cheers! Joe

23 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yep, what DNB said.

I just picked one up last week for $12.99 +tax. Hadn't had one in a while, so I thought I'd give it another whirl. Glad I did. It's better than I remember. Tastes pretty darn good. 

Cheers! Joe

Wow...  Send me a PM if you can share a place to start hunting!  :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Jkersh said:

1.75 EC12 $60

IMG_2611.JPG

Pretty sure that one would've been gone shortly after I spotted it, had I done so.    I'd go back and gab at least one of those, if I were you.

Ezra B 12yr 99 proof @ $33.99.  Should I run back and pick up a couple?????   :huh:

10 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Ezra B 12yr 99 proof @ $33.99.  Should I run back and pick up a couple?????   :huh:

I haven't seen one in like 3 years. sounds like a good price

13 hours ago, Jkersh said:

1.75 EC12 $60

IMG_2611.JPG

Um... this is the what I passed on thread, you want the "Shelves I cleared" thread. Right? You did buy them all at that price, right??

27 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Um... this is the what I passed on thread, you want the "Shelves I cleared" thread. Right? You did buy them all at that price, right??

Noted! Will make a trip back for 2. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.