What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on Colonel Taylor small batch for under $35 because I already have a couple and I just spent $50 on a Stagg jr. Also passed on Pikesville Rye and a new release of Bourye. There was also one lone six pack of Hopslam left.

Passed on a store select KCSB today at $39.99 which is a little cheaper than I normally see these ($5 - $10) but it didn't have any information about the pick and until I can talk to the manager and get an age range I'll hold off

is CEHT single barrel mind blowingly better than small batch?  for some reason I keep passing on single barrel. mistake?

Also, cam across a barterhouse 20yr for 63.99... From reading around that seems like a pretty good price. passed this also...mistake?

3 minutes ago, bourbs bro said:

is CEHT single barrel mind blowingly better than small batch?  for some reason I keep passing on single barrel. mistake?

Also, cam across a barterhouse 20yr for 63.99... From reading around that seems like a pretty good price. passed this also...mistake?

Had a similar situation with Barterhouse not too long ago, although your price is less than mine. I just don't spend like that unless I know what I'm getting into. You bet I'm curious but think what I could do with 70.00 to spend on bourbon  I know I will like. That being said, dang that's cheap for a 20 year old. I began to waffle when I thought about that low proof, just not my style. PM with details after you taste it . . .  if you taste it

I paid about $65 for Barterhouse.  I've got it open now and don't regret buying it.  It's instructive.

I passed up a few handles of old label WT101 today at 36.99.  I don't have much experience with 101...is the older NAS any more desirable than current production?

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

I passed up a few handles of old label WT101 today at 36.99.  I don't have much experience with 101...is the older NAS any more desirable than current production?

image.jpeg

Great question. Veteran wild turkey drinkers . . . help us. 

Nm & Knox: GRAB that puppy up!   Any of the A.N. WT is good stuff, and that price is a definite winner.

3 hours ago, bourbs bro said:

Re: the taylor.  I like the small batch much better.  The single barrel tastes of lots of anise to me.  It can also be very hot and unfriendly.

Barterhouse is pretty good.  One of the better orphan barrels (I think).  Smells like a million bucks, tastes like a hundred.  :)

For $64, I'd of definitely bit.  It's $75-100 here and I think well worth the price.

5 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Re: the taylor.  I like the small batch much better.  The single barrel tastes of lots of anise to me.  It can also be very hot and unfriendly.

Barterhouse is pretty good.  One of the better orphan barrels (I think).  Smells like a million bucks, tastes like a hundred.  :)

For $64, I'd of definitely bit.  It's $75-100 here and I think well worth the price.

ooh, i like a good anise note...that makes me think I might like it.

I feel like the barterhouse is going to sit forever in this store.  it's so out of place there, i almost felt like just blurting out, i'll give you 50 haha

6 hours ago, bourbs bro said:

I've enjoyed the single barrel's that I've had a lot more than the small batch and think it's worth it.  I think the more popular opinion that I've seen is that they're close and it's not really worth the price differential.

18 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

image.jpeg

The one I had recently was thicker and richer than the current stuff.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, Clueby said:

Another local store has (had?) a bottle of it for $160! 0895 helped me out with that decision to pass. It really wasn't a decision but i was like "wtf is that stuff?"

20170102_181720_crop_249x744.jpg

I would stay away from this one. I've had that bottle for at least five years and for the last four years it has only made it's way into meat marinade. :blink:

saw $75ish Booker's everywhere today. I think it's gonna be a shelf turd

Dont get me wrong, I'm a Booker's fan, but it could barely compete at $50.

On 2/2/2017 at 9:55 PM, JoeTerp said:

I've enjoyed the single barrel's that I've had a lot more than the small batch and think it's worth it.  I think the more popular opinion that I've seen is that they're close and it's not really worth the price differential.

I tend to flip back and forth on this. When I first bought a bottle of each at the same time about 3-4 years ago, I thought they were remarkably similar. Decided the SiB wasn't worht the upcharge. Subsequent bottles of small batch disappointed however - it was all heat on the palate. So I relented and bought a Sib a year or so ago and it's fantastic. I still struggle with the price however and haven't bought one since then. I'll buy the BP version, but otherwise I've given up on the CEHT line.

Agreed on the Col Taylor line. Good products but too expensive for what they are IMHO. Bought the Rye when it was $65 and felt that was verging on poor QPR. It's now $99 everywhere around here and that's an easy pass for me. 

11 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

saw $75ish Booker's everywhere today. I think it's gonna be a shelf turd

Dont get me wrong, I'm a Booker's fan, but it could barely compete at $50.

I bought 4 2015 Booker's right before the price hike based on how much I (surprisingly) liked the one I had. It is C07-B-7 the first round table batch (that I can find documented) and it is darn good for $50. I hope the other 4 (Dot's, Maw Maw's, Rocker, and Center Cut) live up to it, but even if they do, at these prices I'm probably done with them...

Same with the CEHT. I liked the first SiB I bought A LOT and just found the SmB ok... I bunkered a few of each a couple years ago, but now I'm seeing the SiB at $89 and the SmB in the $50's so I'm probably done with them too. 

Yes. I've never seen it for less than $90. It's the best of the orphan barrel program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I should have bought it, but I passed on a handle of Jim Beam Black 8yr for $24.99.  I've never had it and I probably never will....86 proof is a deal breaker.

My wife and I did our grocery shopping last night because of a busy weekend schedule. (No comments from the peanut gallery this time mbroo5880i. ;)) As per usual, I hit the liquor store while my headed to the main store. I had fully intended to purchase a bottle of the BOTM. I had a bottle of RR 10/90 in my hand, but put it back. The $35.00 price tag was part of the reason. I even grabbed a bottle of Barton BIB. Even though it was only $12.00, I put it back too. I have more than my usual 12 bottles open at the moment, and I've already bought more than I really wanted to so far this year. I somehow managed to pass on everything. Man oh man, it's sure hard to resist temptation. :unsure:

Also, and FWIW, there was still a shelf full of Booker's for $47.99.

Cheers! Joe

I passed on a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed 112proof for $39.99. That is a normal price for it right?

6 minutes ago, Dgriffin said:

I passed on a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed 112proof for $39.99. That is a normal price for it right?

Ranges from $35-45 around here.

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, there was still a shelf full of Booker's for $47.99.

Cheers! Joe

I saw Costco restocked on the new 17 batch of Booker's, at $59. They had been selling it last fall for $39. I can get better SAOS BP 10 and 11 year bottles here for $52-58. easy decision. two SAOS 10 year came home with me yesterday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.