What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, dcbt said:

I'm surprised at those price points seeing as how most WT LEs just seem to languish at lower prices than that.

Yeah, well, most of the liquor stores are owned by Indian immigrants who don't seem interested in selling at a fair price.  They pretty much have a monopoly here in Middle GA and rarely do you see good deals.

Edited by starhopper

I'm happy to say that I'm passing on everything! I'm trying to stay purchase free for the entire month of January. I always end up buying so much in December each year as that's limited edition season out here. I always buy something in my favorite stores when I'm in there asking about the LE's. If I'm going to be one of the many voices asking for an update on the LE's, I'm at least going to make it worth their while with a purchase. They tend to remember that and reward me. So my cupboards are bursting with recent purchases that I'm trying to drink down. So far, so good. 11 days to go.

I'm seeing a lot of age stated KC on the ground in FL.  They're pretty much all gone in KY.  You FL boys better start stepping up your game!:rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Steve L said:

I passed on a Wild Turkey 101 Rye for 33 and i think maybe I should go back.  Should I go back???  :o

Idk about the price.  Can't remember last time I saw a 101 rye.  Do you like WT101 Rye?  If you do, go back and buy it.

I love the Russell's Reserve 6 Year Rye...a lot.   I have never had the 101 Rye but have heard good things...  At my Binnny's they're charing 44.99...  

If it is the new label of 101 Rye it has been a 1 liter bottle only that I have seen since it returned so worth figuring that into your decision. $33 is a pretty good price here as memory serves. Typically more of a high $30's range I think. Can't speak to Chicago area prices.

9 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If it is the new label of 101 Rye it has been a 1 liter bottle only that I have seen since it returned so worth figuring that into your decision. $33 is a pretty good price here as memory serves. Typically more of a high $30's range I think. Can't speak to Chicago area prices.

Agreed. The 1L goes for $40 here in MD. I love it. 

Stopped in a little strip mall place at lunchtime that I had not been in before.  They had the standard/generic stuff on the shelves but high on a shelf behind the counter there were some higher end Scotch and a few bourbon.  The only one that stood out was a CEHT Single Barrel for $69 which wasn't a terrible price but I already have one so I passed.  The clerk (owner?) asked what I was looking for.  I told him I was looking for any unique or old bottles of bourbon.  He said he did have "the Weller".  I asked which one and he said Antique.  I asked how much is that going for?   "$90"  I said that was way too rich for my blood.  He said he also had "the Gifted Horse" but it is a lot more than $90. ?!?!?

On 1/14/2017 at 3:36 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Passed on a Bird Dog 10 yr bourbon whiskey. Didn't see a price on it but it was in the "high roller" room. Never heard of it and I like that it has an age statement but I can't help but think of Bird Dog as a bottle shelf because that's where I always see the flavored stuff. Is this one any good?

I bought a bottle because a buddy said it was supposed to be really good, being aged 10 years. To me it's not worth the $39.99 price. It tastes fairly young and definitely very alcohol forward. It's been about a month since I opened it, so I may have to go back to it again. But overall very average.

Passed on quite a bit today some just because I'm well stocked like BT for $24 and others because of price etc... WPBH, IWH15 for $180 and $80 at different locations, Rhetoric at $499 :-0, Gifted Horse at $60, PHC10 at $350, just to name a few

1 hour ago, Hop said:

Passed on quite a bit today some just because I'm well stocked like BT for $24 and others because of price etc... WPBH, IWH15 for $180 and $80 at different locations, Rhetoric at $499 :-0, Gifted Horse at $60, PHC10 at $350, just to name a few

Gifted Horse at $60 isn't too bad a price although I've heard quite a few mixed reviews on that one.  I thought it's MSRP was around $59.99.  From my post above, the clerk at the store I went to today said his GH was "a lot more than $90" but wouldn't name his price because he knew I wasn't going to pay it.  He was really pushing the Three Rangers Single Barrel Rye but I didn't even bother to get a price.

5 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Gifted Horse at $60 isn't too bad a price although I've heard quite a few mixed reviews on that one.  I thought it's MSRP was around $59.99.  From my post above, the clerk at the store I went to today said his GH was "a lot more than $90" but wouldn't name his price because he knew I wasn't going to pay it.  He was really pushing the Three Rangers Single Barrel Rye but I didn't even bother to get a price.

No it wasn't too high  n that one but I just finished one and have another in reserve bought at $50

23 hours ago, Clueby said:

He said he did have "the Weller".  I asked which one and he said Antique.  I asked how much is that going for?   "$90"  I said that was way too rich for my blood.  He said he also had "the Gifted Horse" but it is a lot more than $90. ?!?!?

Man, that is brutal. The Special Reserve has shown up @ Illinois Binny's for 24.95 -- limit one bottle per customer.  I am guessing they have the 107 too -- somewhere...

Took a pass on Hancock at $50 and 1792 SB at $40. Already got a few. However I said yes to the 1792 FP at $45.

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

Man, that is brutal. The Special Reserve has shown up @ Illinois Binny's for 24.95 -- limit one bottle per customer.  I am guessing they have the 107 too -- somewhere...

you missed it almost two weeks ago for OWA barrel select.  it too, was 1 bottle per customer.

3 minutes ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

you missed it almost two weeks ago for OWA barrel select.  it too, was 1 bottle per customer.

One of our local stores got their OWA barrel select in...for $70/bottle. :(

I still have one Binny's OWA from a couple years ago that I haven't opened.  I had a second that I finished.  It was several notches better than a regular OWA. Think standard OWA profile, just ramped up.  More sweetness, more spice, more everything.  It was delicious.

48 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It's really disappointing that they priced it that high.  It will be interesting to see how quickly it sells.

41 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

It's really disappointing that they priced it that high.  It will be interesting to see how quickly it sells.

I'm pretty sure it came and went within a week.  My friend an email from another store that had theirs for $29.99 and to email them back to reserve yours..1 bottle limit.  It was email list only distribution and they were honoring the reservations in the order received. He replied immediately upon receipt of the email and was told they were already sold out. 

3 hours ago, Steve L said:

"We don't know what you're talking about.... or our secret room... and we never get any of what you're looking for...ever.... but have you tried (insert crappy whiskey name here)....its just as good as whatever you asked about..."

I guess I can't be too hard on them though.  They did pick an amazing 4R OESV last year that I've been enjoying the heck out of.

Edited by 0895

Today I passed on

-a Hirsch Selection 20 year American Whiskey for $133

Feel like Barterhouse 20 yr. @ $75 is just such a better deal

35 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Today I passed on

-a Hirsch Selection 20 year American Whiskey for $133

Feel like Barterhouse 20 yr. @ $75 is just such a better deal

I would pass on that particular Hirsch if it was $13.30.  But that price is insane and the whiskey is trash. IMO of course.

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

I still have one Binny's OWA from a couple years ago that I haven't opened.  I had a second that I finished.  It was several notches better than a regular OWA. Think standard OWA profile, just ramped up.  More sweetness, more spice, more everything.  It was delicious.

Wow that sounds like it would be my favorite bourbon ever.  I love the one bottle of Weller 12 I have, but I think I actually prefer that cinnamon note on the 107.  I'd love to taste an even better version of *that* flavor profile.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.