What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, emr454 said:

Never having actually see any Old Fitz in a liquor store, I probably would have snatched this up in a heartbeat. For some reason it doesn't show up in this part of the states.

I have one 1.75 of it already. I got it (and another that I drank) from the same store a few months ago. It appears that this is their last one. The owner bought a case (6?) and said he was told this was the last of what he could get.

Next time I'm over there I may cave and get it if its still there. Its in a more prominent spot now instead of way up on a shelf in the corner.

most everything. Hit the Costco today, and always first stop in the booze depot thereto see what's new, as every now ans then you find something surprising. Nothing stood out. Lots of 1.75's of 9 year KS, but it's dwindling from the pallets full they had months ago. Booker's back on the shelf at $56. EWSB 2009 aged 7 years and one week.....what happened to this brand? Over the weekend, hit a couple small town likka sto's while antiquing with Mrs. Dick in S. In, and found nothing interesting either.

I'm currently of the mindset I'm only going to buy my regular HH6BIB and things I really enjoy, no more stuff I'm only so-so on. The bunker overfloweth...

I passed on a couple bottles of EWSB 2004 at 32.95.   Wondering if I should oughta go back?  Any thoughts?  Reading through this site on that year sounds like it was the last year (or close to it) of that bottle being 10 (+) year old juice??   Interested to hear opinions.  Understand it's an SB and those vary in quality...

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Dick said:

I'm currently of the mindset I'm only going to buy my regular HH6BIB and things I really enjoy, no more stuff I'm only so-so on. The bunker overfloweth...

Good luck with that brother. :wacko: I've been saying/trying the same thing the last year or so now. While I have been doing a little better (cough cough), for some strange reason it's only been working out so so for me. 

Cheers! Joe

I passed on a couple bottles of EWSB 2004 at 32.95.   Wondering if I should oughta go back?  Any thoughts?  Reading through this site on that year sounds like it was the last year (or close to it) of that bottle being 10 (+) year old juice??   Interested to hear opinions.  Understand it's an SB and those vary in quality...

I just emptied a bottle of this last night and would gladly pay that to replace it.

other than loading up on OGD114 and Bookers at the end of last year, I've only bought HH6BIB and multiples of SAOS 10 and 11 year barrel proofer's. I've still yet to try a 10 or 11 year version, I just keep buying any SAOS BP I can find, as I've enjoyed the 7, 8, and 9 year bottles I have open so much.  MGP might be my favorite current distillery, they just need to ramp up the 95% rye production!

1 hour ago, Whiskey Dick said:

EWSB 2009 aged 7 years and one week.....what happened to this brand? .

Quite simply, they ran out of the 10yr old whiskey earmarked for this brand.

29 minutes ago, $helby said:

Passed on Hudson Baby Bourbon and EC BP

Was it the price that caused the pass on ECBP?  I don't think I could pass on that for anything under $75.

2 hours ago, Thig said:

I just emptied a bottle of this last night and would gladly pay that to replace it.

Thanks Thig -- I may have to go back and try a parking lot pour to see if I need to grab bottle # 2 as well.... :unsure:

I went to two sketchy liquor stores with very slim pickings. I passed on a University of Kentucky limited edition blue wax bottle of Maker's 46 (for $50). I also passed on a bottle of WT Master's Keep Decades for around $170. One of the places also had WT Diamond for over $150.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Finally found a Smooth Ambler 10 yr Single Barrel for $58.99 and an Old Scout 7yr for $38.99. Passed on them today but still contemplating going back. 

Passed on all things Michter's (including the BP rye), OGD 114 (first I'd seen in a month or two), Booker's (seeing it anywhere from $63.99 to $99.99), Blanton's, and ER10 (there's a lot of fresh stocks of mashbill #2 around the state right now). 

On February 20, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Clueby said:

Was it the price that caused the pass on ECBP?  I don't think I could pass on that for anything under $75.

No, just the fact that I already had 2 in the bunker and it was a 20 mile drive to the store that emailed me.     Yesterday I got another email from a different store and changed my mind.  For the $50 NCABC price; I decided 3 in the bunker wouldn't hurt after all.,

1 hour ago, $helby said:

No, just the fact that I already had 2 in the bunker and it was a 20 mile drive to the store that emailed me.     Yesterday I got another email from a different store and changed my mind.  For the $50 NCABC price; I decided 3 in the bunker wouldn't hurt after all.,

I wish I got those emails!! It never touches a shelf here.  Last one I found on a shelf was last fall...3 hours away and was $65.99.

On 2/16/2017 at 2:37 PM, Agalloch said:

Passed on WT Kentucky Spirit for $55. But Im overly tempted to go back and get it because I havent had it, I dont see it around anymore, and the bottle is just beautiful. 

I've passed on it several times too, but I need to give it a try. The bottle looks majestic.

Old fitz meant to quote ya. ^^^

Ive since picked it up and given it a taste. Quite unique, along with usually turkey bite and mouthfeel I get a little sour note, not much but I dont know how else to describe it. I really enjoyed the first pour I had a week ago, will have one tonight.

Edited by Agalloch

I did some hunting today in southwest IN and crossed over into Owensboro, KY.   Passed up an old label ECBP for $95, SAOS SiB 10yr for $63 and a few others that weren't priced well.   It was amusing to see the Weller and Willit pictured below on the shelves in KY.

IMG_0514.thumb.JPG.51691ce4d8bc234dbea7cad7e5d97614.JPG

91EE3BD0-4C6E-4079-8623-901B82820D8A_zps

Evansville used to have a ton of WFE on the shelves a couple of years ago. Long gone other than the house made Rye now. 

31 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

I did some hunting today in southwest IN and crossed over into Owensboro, KY.   Passed up an old label ECBP for $95, SAOS SiB 10yr for $63 and a few others that weren't priced well.   It was amusing to see the Weller and Willit pictured below on the shelves in KY.

IMG_0514.thumb.JPG.51691ce4d8bc234dbea7cad7e5d97614.JPG

91EE3BD0-4C6E-4079-8623-901B82820D8A_zps

No wonder they had to mark down the Willett, it will never sell sitting between Templeton and Fireball.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:39 PM, Dgriffin said:

just passed on the first OWA that I have seen in the new bottle. It was $39.99, it was $24.99 for the old bottle at the same LS a month ago. I hope that's not what's happening for all the stores.

At least you see it.  Last time I had a chance, there was one bottle @ $99.  Of course, I passed.  I'll just pour a double OF glass of Larceny if I get desperate.B)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
doofus - it is "chance" not "chence" - damn typos

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.