What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

[emoji38] Yeah, Saturday late afternoon or evening is a bad time is some stores in Indy.

I went in on Saturday night, but I have worked with criminals for almost two decades, so I stayed alert.

It's certainly good advice to go in the early morning. I just happened to be driving by on my way home and had to check. I'd struck out on the hunt all day.

I'd bet that there are some reasonably priced treasures to be found in some of these sketchy liquor stores.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I went in on Saturday night, but I have worked with criminals for almost two decades, so I stayed alert.

It's certainly good advice to go in the early morning. I just happened to be driving by on my way home and had to check. I'd struck out on the hunt all day.

I'd bet that there are some reasonably priced treasures to be found in some of these sketchy liquor stores.

There still may be some, but two things are at work now and both are related to the secondary. First intrepid hunters have already realized the sketchy neighborhood store goldmine. So a lot of them are already hunted out and they are not likely getting any new allocated bottles. And second, the owners of said stores are not living in caves. I'm sure many have pulled dusty and allocated type bottles out of inventory and posted them on FB. 

I actually just started passing stores completely. If you don't stop, You can't buy.  The bunker has been full & I have a couple of stores that let me know when the good stuff comes around. I reached Full Bourbon Zen in early December of last year.  The only buys in the future will be Private Barrels, some LE's (retail or slightly above only), & discontued products that I actually like. Haven't bought anything in 2 1/2 months & it feels GREAT!

Cheers,

Jeff

14 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Maybe I'm crazy but I could swear I've been marked as a target just because I was looking at some of the high end top shelf bottles. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong.  

Yeah, I have received some pretty interesting and unnerving stares before.  

14 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Maybe I'm crazy but I could swear I've been marked as a target just because I was looking at some of the high end top shelf bottles. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong.  

double post

Edited by mbroo5880i

I actually hit 3 shady stores on the south side today and they had absolutely nothing.  Chicago is pretty well picked over.  I think I may stock up on Old Fitz BIB and maybe some age stated ER, but after that I'm hoping to slow it way down.  My in home storage is maxed out anywy.  I'd love a few months of no buying (except WT decades) and just wait until fall for the LEs which are easy to get from my local. 

Passed on CEHTSMB for $35, Woodford brandy finished for $80-something, and the other usual suspects on the "allocated" shelf (Whistlepig, AE, Garrison, Clyde May).

9 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Passed on 12 OGD 114's @ $32.99

I would have passed too. That's about $10 higher than what I paid recently.

Passed on CEHTSMB for $35, Woodford brandy finished for $80-something, and the other usual suspects on the "allocated" shelf (Whistlepig, AE, Garrison, Clyde May).

I probably would not have passed on the Woodford brandy finish at that price but that's just me.

36 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Although that wouldn't have been a bargain a few years ago; in my beloved Mitten State it now would be a true bargain!  . . . And illegal, as it's below State Minimum for a 750 of the brand.

$32.99 is the current Michigan state minimum shelf price... effective 2/12/17

Edited by JTaylor

Wow...I won't say what I paid for my last bottle. I wonder if Beam decided to not discontinue but raise the price.

I haven't caught any of that on shelves around here in quite some time. I would pick up several bottles at that price if I saw them on the shelf.

38 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Wow...I won't say what I paid for my last bottle. I wonder if Beam decided to not discontinue but raise the price.

That's actually a lower price. Used to be $34.99 here.

Edited by JTaylor

28 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I haven't caught any of that on shelves around here in quite some time. I would pick up several bottles at that price if I saw them on the shelf.

Ha! That's funny... the last one I bought was in Lexington and it was $24...

Ha! That's funny... the last one I bought was in Lexington and it was $24...

Funny indeed. Where did you find it? I'd be happy to pay $34 if I found it on the shelf in town. I'd probably get at least four bottles at $24 if they had them in stock. I scoured Frankfort for some (as well as some Ancient Ancient Age and Stagg Jr) this weekend, to no avail.

My UK Wildcats just gave me a Valentine's victory over Tennessee. Now I am going to enjoy a pour of my house blend of Four Roses and Old Fitzgerald BIB while reading some escapist fiction.
Happy Valentine's Day to all. Cheers!

178fb8bf30dd20ab38151737d5c185d4.jpg

11 hours ago, JTaylor said:

$32.99 is the current Michigan state minimum shelf price... effective 2/12/17

OK!   Thanx for setting me straight, JT!    I stand corrected.    For some reason, I had the idea that Michigan State Minimum was about $35.

The store I stopped in today seemed to have pricing all over the place. Some things were priced very well and some things were crazy. I bought an EC12 (asob) for $28.99. WSR 1.75 was $39.99. But Blanton's was $89.99, ETL was $69.99, CEHTSMB  $69.99, CEHTSiB $99.99, Michters BP Rye $99.99, Willett Pot Still  $99.99. I asked her about Elmer if she would take any less and she said she had the best price in town. Sadly that was probably true. I would have been a buyer at $50.

I passed on a new version Yellowstone over the weekend. The liquor dept manager had a bottle open, and let me try it. (FWIW, I liked it.) The $45.00 price tag seemed fairly decent, but I'm trying to cut back on my purchases. I also have a couple things in the works, so I passed ........... for now. :huh:

Cheers! Joe

EC12 (asob) for $33 at a couple places, HPR at a couple for $60.

WFE rye 3 yr for $50...hadnt seen this in awhile...is this getting harder to find?

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I passed on a new version Yellowstone over the weekend. The liquor dept manager had a bottle open, and let me try it. (FWIW, I liked it.) The $45.00 price tag seemed fairly decent, but I'm trying to cut back on my purchases. I also have a couple things in the works, so I passed ........... for now. :huh:

Cheers! Joe

I've been seeing Yellowstone on a regular basis but I can't convince myself that I need to buy it.  

9 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I've been seeing Yellowstone on a regular basis but I can't convince myself that I need to buy it.  

I tried it when I was at Limestone Branch in November and really enjoyed it, I would say that I actually liked the regular bottle more than the limited.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.