What Bourbon did you Pass up?? Winter 2016/2017

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stopped by a ls from my old neighborhood because I was visiting my parents. was very confused by the prices. They were selling Elmer T Lee for $99.99, but had a Blantons for $65. passed on both. For out area Blantons was maybe $5 overpriced but thought the Elmer was bordering on comical

Saw a ceht barrell proof out there for 80...is that a decent price? Hard to swallow that price when ecbp can be had for cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Saw a ceht barrell proof out there for 80...is that a decent price? Hard to swallow that price when ecbp can be had for cheaper.

Actually, that's not a bad price - mine all cost $74.99 OTD.  And I buy them every time I see them (which ain't too often).   :(

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

It's not an outrageous price. It's one of those bottles that I'm willing to pay a few dollars more for just because I've never seen one in the wild. 

4 hours ago, skiwez2 said:

Stopped by a ls from my old neighborhood because I was visiting my parents. was very confused by the prices. They were selling Elmer T Lee for $99.99, but had a Blantons for $65. passed on both. For out area Blantons was maybe $5 overpriced but thought the Elmer was bordering on comical

That's a norm in NY now. Most stores sell Blanton's between $60 and $75. I see ETL anywhere from $70 to $150 

18 minutes ago, Kness said:

That's a norm in NY now. Most stores sell Blanton's between $60 and $75. I see ETL anywhere from $70 to $150 

Wow, that is disappointing.  Blanton's is clearly higher in the BT #2 hierachy.  However, price is probably based on the availability of the particular brand.

1 hour ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

It's not an outrageous price. It's one of those bottles that I'm willing to pay a few dollars more for just because I've never seen one in the wild. 

I agree.  This is one that normally doesn't make it to the shelf.  

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My wife and I did our grocery shopping last night because of a busy weekend schedule. (No comments from the peanut gallery this time mbroo5880i. ;)) As per usual, I hit the liquor store while my headed to the main store. I had fully intended to purchase a bottle of the BOTM. I had a bottle of RR 10/90 in my hand, but put it back. The $35.00 price tag was part of the reason. I even grabbed a bottle of Barton BIB. Even though it was only $12.00, I put it back too. I have more than my usual 12 bottles open at the moment, and I've already bought more than I really wanted to so far this year. I somehow managed to pass on everything. Man oh man, it's sure hard to resist temptation. :unsure:

Also, and FWIW, there was still a shelf full of Booker's for $47.99.

Cheers! Joe

Such restraint!  :mellow:  What exactly do you tell her before you journey to the liquor section?  "Go ahead, I'll catch up with you in a few minutes."  "Go ahead, but leave me the cart." "Next time, stay in the car, this might take a while."  :lol:

14 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

That's retail price. Don't pass that up because of the price as you'll likely never see it cheaper. 

I went to pick up a bottle of 1792 today.  I hadn't tried it before and many of the reviews were positive, so I figured why not.  One of the salespeople asked me what I thought of it and when I told her I had never tasted it before she offered me a sample.  While I can't really say anything negative, I can't say it's worth a spot in my rotation.  The 1792 went back on the shelf.  She suggested I try the FRSB instead.  I just smiled and told her I had a case at home.  She just laughed at that and said I don't need her help.

Many of the slots on the shelves were empty.  No Blanton, Eagle Rare, EH Talor...   all the usual rare items are missing.    Oh well...  I found an Aberlour 12, 16  and A'bunadh batch 56.  That always makes me happy.

I went to pick up a bottle of 1792 today.  I hadn't tried it before and many of the reviews were positive, so I figured why not.  One of the salespeople asked me what I thought of it and when I told her I had never tasted it before she offered me a sample.  While I can't really say anything negative, I can't say it's worth a spot in my rotation.  The 1792 went back on the shelf.

Which one, 1792 has several. If you mean the small batch I probably agree but the full proof, single barrel and port finish are very good in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Thig said:

Which one, 1792 has several. If you mean the small batch I probably agree but the full proof, single barrel and port finish are very good in my opinion.

My bad.  Yea it was the 1792 small batch.  That's the only expression I have seen from them in Phoenix.

I would like to try their cask strength.

Edited by Darwin

47 minutes ago, Thig said:

I agree with Thig.  I find the small batch to be too thin and lacking complexity.  I have never bought a bottle but have had it as an alternative to MM several times while at restaurants.  I always thought I might enjoy it more at a higher proof.  Last year one of the local chains brought in a single barrel at 98.6 proof and I love it.  I ended up buying a couple more bottles.  

5 hours ago, Darwin said:

My bad.  Yea it was the 1792 small batch.  That's the only expression I have seen from them in Phoenix.

I would like to try their cask strength.

They don't have a true cask strength, but the Full Proof at 125 is pretty close.

On February 5, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Darwin said:

I went to pick up a bottle of 1792 today.  I hadn't tried it before and many of the reviews were positive, so I figured why not.  One of the salespeople asked me what I thought of it and when I told her I had never tasted it before she offered me a sample.  While I can't really say anything negative, I can't say it's worth a spot in my rotation.  The 1792 went back on the shelf.  She suggested I try the FRSB instead.  I just smiled and told her I had a case at home.  

I find similarities some similarities in FRSB and 1792.  Particularly on the nose and early palate.  She must think the same considering the rec to FR, but it does have more going on.  BTW, the Full Proof 1792 is terrific , IMO.  

That's a sad, sad picture. All that whiskey and I'm only seeing 5 that I'd spend my money on :(

23 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

HMbib - on the top shelf of Binny's no less.   People are moving up in the world

IMG_0498.JPG

Wow is there ever a lot of garbage in this particular picture. Not sure there's more than 5 labels I'd buy of the bunch

2 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

That's a sad, sad picture. All that whiskey and I'm only seeing 5 that I'd spend my money on :(

Ha! Right after I posted I saw that you had posted this literally as I was typing apparently. Great minds think alike, or something like that

That's Binny's, makes their tag line kinda preposterous, "if you can't find it at Binny's, it's probably not worth drinking."  Things are kinda sad in the bourbon aisle, that's for sure.  To give them credit, there were a few things outside the photo, but not many, here's another angle but not sure it's much better

IMG_0497.JPG

lol, BIB. I've got mush for brains and there's plenty of people on this site that will verify it, so careful about the "great minds think alike" comment

48 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Yes! This was exactly my thought. So much mystery whiskey on those shelves.

43 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

That's Binny's, makes their tag line kinda preposterous, "if you can't find it at Binny's, it's probably not worth drinking."  Things are kinda sad in the bourbon aisle, that's for sure.  To give them credit, there were a few things outside the photo, but not many, here's another angle but not sure it's much better

IMG_0497.JPG

I love Binny's but that is a steaming pile of pony loaf right there.

I love Binny's but that is a steaming pile of pony loaf right there.

I see some saos single barrel that's great stuff. I can't find that or mckenna in oklahoma. It's all perspective.

is CEHT single barrel mind blowingly better than small batch?  for some reason I keep passing on single barrel. mistake?

Also, cam across a barterhouse 20yr for 63.99... From reading around that seems like a pretty good price. passed this also...mistake?

Living in Kentucky, I am limited to what I can find in stores. I have tried to track down an Orphan Barrel release to no avail. I just don't have access to 20 year old + bourbon. I would not be able to pass on that bottle. My father-in-law has a bottle of Lost Prophet that I have tasted and it did not blow me away. Still, I would buy that bottle, but I have a tiny bourbon collection.
I do keep passing up SAOS single barrel in the same price range, which I may have to go ahead and make a purchase of that as it seems highly respected on the forums.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.