Bottled In Bond, 100 proof goodness

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, Kpiz said:

The section regarding gin and vodka strikes me as further protection for consumers. If that section wasn't there, a producer could age gin or vodka in oak and have something physically resembling whiskey (i.e. a brown spirit) and then proclaim largely "BOTTLED IN BOND" on the label, making it more difficult for to distinguish between a BIB whiskey (or brandy) and a BIB vodka/gin. Quite possible I'm missing something though.

Makes as much sense as anything. in the case of vodka/GNS I could see it tasting a little like bourbon with aging. Gin might be harder to disguise though! 

On February 23, 2017 at 10:13 AM, dSculptor said:

Love me some JTS Brown BIB, just wish I could find it around here! I can find the regular but not the BIB, it's been over a year since I had one, and the last one I got was muled back from the motherland.

18 hours ago, Tony Santana said:

Don, I've found it at Woodman's.

I'm not entirely sure, but I may have seen JTS Brown BIB at Binny's. Usually I'd bring a bottle or two from KY, since all I could find locally was the regular. The bottle I bought a few weeks ago was a surprise find at our local Woodman's. I hope they keep it in stock. 

Cheers! Joe

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm not entirely sure, but I may have seen JTS Brown BIB at Binny's. Usually I'd bring a bottle or two from KY, since all I could find locally was the regular. The bottle I bought a few weeks ago was a surprise find at our local Woodman's. I hope they keep it in stock. 

Cheers! Joe

Yep several Chicago area Binny's have the JTS Brown -- and the JW Dant...

Edited by Steve L

I've seen JTS Brown talked about numerous times on SB. I always thought it was an acronym for something.  Finally looked it up today. Doh. Its literally J.T.S. Brown! I have never seen a bottle of this anywhere that I remember. Have never heard of.it outside these pages. I see JW Dant all the dant time. :)

You sure you've never heard of J.T.S. Brown before Tim?  Here's a bit of movie/bourbon history for you. ;)

From the movie "The Hustler" starring Jackie Gleason and Paul Newman...

FATS
Preach! Go down and get me some White Tavern whisky, a glass, and some ice.

EDDIE
Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass.

Cheers! Joe

7 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You sure you've never heard of J.T.S. Brown before Tim?  Here's a bit of movie/bourbon history for you. ;)

From the movie "The Hustler" starring Jackie Gleason and Paul Newman...

FATS
Preach! Go down and get me some White Tavern whisky, a glass, and some ice.

EDDIE
Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass.

Cheers! Joe

The last time I would have seen that movie I would have been too young to have thought about bourbon!

10 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The last time I would have seen that movie I would have been too young to have thought about bourbon!

LOL!  Ya' know, sometimes it's hell getting old. :D

Cheers! Joe

40 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

LOL!  Ya' know, sometimes it's hell getting old. :D

Cheers! Joe

You're only as old as you feel!  So apparently I just turned 90 instead of 50.

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I can't argue with that brother. Does being on the other side of 60 mean I'm approaching 100 in bourbon years?  :huh: 

Sorry to contribute to thread drift here a bit being a moderator an all, but part of being a member here is also about having some fun too. As one esteemed member here once said, "If you ain't having fun, you ain't doing it right." Sometimes folks just take stuff too serious. This is fun. Thanks Tim.  

Cheers! Joe

I would think the Bottled in Bond requirements would provide a good template for a new small/craft distillery.

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

I've seen JTS Brown talked about numerous times on SB. I always thought it was an acronym for something.  Finally looked it up today. Doh. Its literally J.T.S. Brown! I have never seen a bottle of this anywhere that I remember. Have never heard of.it outside these pages. I see JW Dant all the dant time. :)

JTS Brown is not widely distributed.     I generally score one or two whenever I'm in KY.    For my money it isn't quite a good neat as JW Dant; but it makes a great highball.   I find it a bit rougher around the edges in general than Dant.   Maybe that's why it makes a better Highball.

I believe JTS are the initials of the man for whom the brand is named; James Thompson Street Brown.   Same family as George Garvin Brown of Brown-Forman fame.

If I have any of this wrong (as likely as not, at my age), anyone in the know; please correct me!

26 minutes ago, kaiserhog said:

I would think the Bottled in Bond requirements would provide a good template for a new small/craft distillery.

Was just thinking the same thing. Solid baseline. 

Edited by BBNBourbon

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

:lol:

This is how I feel the morning after I say "I'm still feeling good, I'll have one more pour". 

I am lucky enough to have easy access to all of the HH bonded whiskeys. HH6 is always on my bar or in my fridge. It is a fantastic value at $10. Also a regular in my lineup is Mellow Corn. An easy summer sipper out of the fridge, or awesome in a bloody mary. I still don't understand how a 1.75 is still just  $20.

On 2/24/2017 at 10:53 AM, Golzee said:

I understand that reasoning, and I do buy Mckenna (and think it is a great value).  But, I think it is a little gimmicky to call it BIB, we would be buying it regardless of the BIB designation.  It is very good, but, IMO it isn't what BIBs are/were meant to be.

I agree...It's odd to call something BIB and also Age State it. With a 10 year age statement and single barrel designation, the BIB just seems overkill. Irregardless, I love me some McKenna 10yr,

I am lucky enough to have easy access to all of the HH bonded whiskeys. HH6 is always on my bar or in my fridge. It is a fantastic value at $10. Also a regular in my lineup is Mellow Corn. An easy summer sipper out of the fridge, or awesome in a bloody mary. I still don't understand how a 1.75 is still just  $20.

Are you sure those are 2017 prices?? Sounds like you're living in shangri-la.

7 hours ago, KrispinD said:

HH6BIB can be found around here for $9.50-12.00.

I haven't seen a 1.75 of HH6BIB in a long time.....do they even make it in 1.75's anymore?

11 minutes ago, Whiskey Dick said:

HH6BIB can be found around here for $9.50-12.00.

I haven't seen a 1.75 of HH6BIB in a long time.....do they even make it in 1.75's anymore?

I also have not seen any handles of HH BIB for quite a long time. It costs about $12 to $15 a fifth around here.

I have looked high and low for the 6yr VOB BiB.....no luck.  Wasn't the age statement just dropped in the last couple years?  I see plenty of other "old stock" AS bottles, but the VOB eludes me. :blink:

Edited by Nm0369

1 hour ago, Nm0369 said:

I have looked high and low for the 6yr VOB BiB.....no luck.  Wasn't the age statement just dropped in the last couple years?  I see plenty of other "old stock" AS bottles, but the VOB eludes me. :blink:

There is an old SB thread on this.  Shortly after the rumor circulated (like, within a month of its first mention on SB), two things happened - the WashDC stores where I could reliably find at least ONE bottle of VOB BIB "6yr" suddenly had bare shelves above the shelf tags, and even VOB BIB "6" became a sometime thing as more than one purveyor told me Saz was "regionalizing" the brand at least at the BIB level.  At least you are within a half day's drive of KY so you can pick up "6" when you need to.  I have to depend on the kindness of strangers (a term that includes a couple of those purveyors I mentioned although, to keep them interested, I have to drink more so I can buy more - tough life, huh?).

On 2/25/2017 at 1:35 PM, KrispinD said:

I was wrong about the MC. It is now $21.

On 2/25/2017 at 1:35 PM, KrispinD said:

Since I normally buy in NY and NJ I am typically floored when I see how cheap some products are in states closer to KY and KY itself. 

My favorite was probably HH6YR wroth OGDBIB right behind, but different.

A friend recently picked up some JW Dant for me and it might edge out the HH by a smidge, although I can hardly taste the difference.

I've also been drinking more RR BIB lately. I had a pour at a bar after trying some Willett Rye, and I liked the RR much better.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On 2/25/2017 at 10:46 PM, Nm0369 said:

I used to have to buy the VOB 6 year BIB in KY.  I still have one of the older anchor type bottles in the bunker.  Indiana only got the 6 year bond for maybe 2 or 3 years before it changed to the "-6-".  Even then, only a few places locally had it.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, Clueby said:

I suppose it is a bit late to point out that J.T.S. Brown bourbon is named for Jon Thompson Street Brown, half brother of George Garvin Brown, who together started what is now Brown-Forman back in the late 1800's. The brand ended up being controlled by Heaven Hill, where it still resides today, after the end of prohibition.

I know, it is shocking to find a bourbon named after somebody in the industry!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.