Bottled In Bond, 100 proof goodness

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/28/2017 at 1:03 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I suppose it is a bit late to point out that J.T.S. Brown bourbon is named for Jon Thompson Street Brown, half brother of George Garvin Brown, who together started what is now Brown-Forman back in the late 1800's. The brand ended up being controlled by Heaven Hill, where it still resides today, after the end of prohibition.

I know, it is shocking to find a bourbon named after somebody in the industry!

Thanx for correcting my mistake, Bruce.    I wasn't sure I had that right.    I had that little tickle in the back of brain telling me it was maybe close but not quite right.   :)   Thanx again!

I opened up my 1st EWBIB last night. Wow. I'm hooked. Glad I listened to all the positive replies to this thread. Sometimes I get caught up in the more rare bottles. This stuff is legit!

On 2/24/2017 at 10:02 PM, Richnimrod said:

JTS Brown is not widely distributed . . .  For my money it isn't quite a good neat as JW Dant; . . .

Thanks, Rich.  We can get handles locally of the JW Dant BIB through Montgomery County, MD, ABC stores, but JTS Brown, which I've never tasted, is unavailable.  One of my purveyors (who is my dependable source for VOB BIB "6") laments that he has tried for years to get JTSB delivered - to no avail.  I'll mention your post ("Anonymous friend with a palate like mine says . . .") so we both stop pining for the unavailable.B)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
What's all that crossing out? READERS! Ignore the line-through.

On 3/2/2017 at 5:20 PM, Richnimrod said:

Thanx for correcting my mistake, Bruce.    I wasn't sure I had that right.    I had that little tickle in the back of brain telling me it was maybe close but not quite right.   :)   Thanx again!

Heck!  I thought you were being cute.:rolleyes:

Based on OldFitz's waxing poetically about it I picked up a bottle of 

20170305_192011_zpszzt0p1tc.jpeg 

today.  Not in the same league with the McKenna 10 BIB but not bad.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

On 2/25/2017 at 10:46 PM, Nm0369 said:

I have looked high and low for the 6yr VOB BiB.....no luck.  Wasn't the age statement just dropped in the last couple years?  I see plenty of other "old stock" AS bottles, but the VOB eludes me. :blink:

I seem to recall it showed up in Indy and then disappeared only to reappear and then disappear when the age statement was dropped. I haven't seen one in 2 to 3 years, if not longer.

Looks like JB bonded has a label change.  I never liked the old one and the new one is much more classy, especially SBS

IMG_0526.JPG

42 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Looks like JB bonded has a label change.  I never liked the old one and the new one is much more classy, especially SBS

IMG_0526.JPG

the last one i bought was the new bottle on the right. I rather enjoyed it, though one of the other guys at the party didnt. Just a younger KC to me, if you like less wood and more brash, give it a try! it was $17 on sale, with a $3 neck coupon. I'd buy it again, provided it weren't sitting right next to a HHBIB 6 year.......

Nothing looks classier than an old bottled in bond whiskey.  And most of them taste pretty good too!

IMG_0601.JPG

That ND Old Taylor BIB is one of my unicorns/white whales to find.  I got into the hobby just a little too late for those.  I was hoping BT would resurrect something like it after they got the rights to the brand; no such luck. :unsure:

I guess I could say something similar about Diageo and IW Harper.

4 hours ago, scratchline said:

Nothing looks classier than an old bottled in bond whiskey.  And most of them taste pretty good too!

IMG_0601.JPG

Awesome little collection!

4 hours ago, scratchline said:

IMG_0601.JPG

Damn nice, Mike!  If I were forced to rank them, I'd go...Old Fitzgerald, Old Taylor, OGD, Old Forester, Dant, Harper, Hiram Walker.  The first four are almost interchangeable in my eyes, though.  Great line-up.

Damn nice, Mike!  If I were forced to rank them, I'd go...Old Fitzgerald, Old Taylor, OGD, Old Forester, Dant, Harper, Hiram Walker.  The first four are almost interchangeable in my eyes, though.  Great line-up.

Joe, I haven't tried all of these to compare and contrast. I need to change that ASAP. I love bottled in Bond bourbons.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, scratchline said:

Sweet! Nice BIB's Mike. The Hiram Walker's look especially interesting. Never had the pleasure of trying any of those before, although I have had some old Walker's Deluxe that was pretty good.

Cheers! Joe

I missed out on some old Fitz by 20 minutes this morning. I asked a friend to pick some up while he was in Louisville if it was under $25. I figured that was plenty high enough...but I didn't account for them only having 1.75L bottles at $32, and I texted back 20 minutes after he left the store.

So sad. ..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I missed out on some old Fitz by 20 minutes this morning. I asked a friend to pick some up while he was in Louisville if it was under $25. I figured that was plenty high enough...but I didn't account for them only having 1.75L bottles at $32, and I texted back 20 minutes after he left the store.

So sad. ..

That is a shame. It's hard to find the fifths these days, but some places still keep the handles in stock.

I feed my handles of Old Fitz BiB into a fifth that I saved.  The little things that help me squeeze more bottles into the "open section". :P

IMG_0601.JPG.986151bbf056aa1455c3fb052694e4c5.JPG

Very nice pic. Other than Dant, OGD and the Old Fitz on here I've never seen any of those bottles.

Very curious how you found them and roughly how old the are? I'm guessing 90s but no idea.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Very nice pic. Other than Dant, OGD and the Old Fitz on here I've never seen any of those bottles.

Very curious how you found them and roughly how old the are? I'm guessing 90s but no idea.

Those are all tax strip bottles from the 70's with the exception of the OGD which has a faux tax strip (circa '83).   They were acquired years ago when such things were very easy to come by and cheap to boot.  

^Very nice and a fine collection. Love the fact that several of those bottles look the same today.

^Very nice and a fine collection. Love the fact that several of those bottles look the same today.

I agree. I love how several of the bottled in bond bourbons have not changed their packaging in quite some time.

That is a fabulous collection.

^ There's other with much more refined palate so maybe take there opinion over mine but I found a bottle of J.W. Dant collecting dust at the bottom of a shelf recently. I really wanted to like the Dant but I preferred EWBiB over it.

9c5990716bda52520b5267ddeac23963.jpg

Need to find some HH 6yr BiB, only 80 proof around here.

15 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

So sad. ..

Beverage Warehouse, Central Station, next to Papa Johns Cardinal Station has the Old Fitz BIB in the 750 ml size.  At least they did last Sunday aftrenoon.

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

There's other with much more refined palate so maybe take there opinion over mine but I found a bottle of J.W. Dant collecting dust at the bottom of a shelf recently. I really wanted to like the Dant but I preferred EWBiB over it.

The JW Dant BIB is a label that for lack of better words, has traveled around just a little. I have, or have had at least five different bottlings. I've also tasted at least one or two more. Look on the back label of your bottle. It should state where it was bottled and distilled at. For example, the bottle I currently have open was distilled at DSP-KY-1, and bottled at DSP-KY-31. DSP=Distilled Spirits Plant, or distillery. FWIW DSP-1 is HH/Bernheim (Louisville), and DSP-31 is HH (Bardstown). 

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.