Bottled In Bond, 100 proof goodness

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

^Any thoughts on OGD BiB? I can get that here for around $20 in a 1 liter bottle.

If you like the higher rye style of bourbon - that's a great deal.  I couldn't pass that up.

^I didn't also saw some handles of the old bottle BiB OGD for $33 I'll likely pick up at some point.

maybe I should do a 50/50 JBBIB and KC9 to see where KC may be heading. sacrilege, I know, but I may just like it. Ive made no  concealment of the fact that I like KC9, but that it pushed the oak limits to me.

19 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

^I didn't also saw some handles of the old bottle BiB OGD for $33 I'll likely pick up at some point.

You would be a wiser man... if you did.;)

^I just have too much though, that being said who am I kidding I'll likely pick it up tomorrow and or another bottle of EC12 with age statement on the back.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

^Any thoughts on OGD BiB? I can get that here for around $20 in a 1 liter bottle.

I keep a bottle of OGD BIB in the trash can next to my TV chair.  It is what I drink more than any other bourbon.  That may give you an idea of what I think of it.

23 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

^Trash can bourbon?

Welcome to the zen and wisdom of Harry. We all learn from his ways every day.

Welcome to the zen and wisdom of Harry. We all learn from his ways every day.

Give it two months, and you'll be in awe of the genius ;)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Sku just posted a list of BIB whiskeys that have popped up in the last few years. It is a follow-up to an older post that listed the BIBs available at the time of writing. I hadn't heard of many of the names on the newer list - it's nice that so many smaller distilleries are producing BIBs, and I imagine the list will continue to expand.

On 3/22/2017 at 11:11 PM, HoustonNit said:

My thoughts are its delicious! I prefer the 114 but once the BIB got a little air I really enjoyed it. I found a slight bitter note on the tail of the finish that I do not get in the 114 hence my preference for the 114. That note diminished after the first couple pours, it was never a deal killer just not as good as the 114, once that mellowed the gap narrowed. I love em both and now I always keep not only the 114 but the BiB in stock, just a great flavor profile.

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

Sku just posted a list of BIB whiskeys that have popped up in the last few years. It is a follow-up to an older post that listed the BIBs available at the time of writing. I hadn't heard of many of the names on the newer list - it's nice that so many smaller distilleries are producing BIBs, and I imagine the list will continue to expand.

I generally give little regard to the BIB designation these days.  I honestly don't believe it brings any value or pertinent information to my decision making that is not already on a bourbons label.  But Kyle, your post gives me reason to rethink my position as it pertains to smaller distilleries in this age of sourcing.  Indeed, there is great value to a BIB designation in their case, because that is a guarantee statement of the whiskeys provenance.  

For the legacy distilleries, I will still be of the belief that the designation is pointless, and little more than marketing fill.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you.  

The value of BIB for me is largely the Proof vs similarly priced similarly aged products. There are days when 4 year old juice (or 6/10) taste right especially at 100 proof vs 80-90.  That being said, I'm glad the craft guys are getting there in terms of age but it's hard to see most of those releases as good values, Willett being the only on at anything approaching a low-mid shelf price.

2 minutes ago, jcal1985 said:

Any thoughts on Old Bardstown BIB

I think it's OK, my younger brother thinks it's better than HH 6 BIB which I can't comprehend.  I think a lot of people found it disappointing, though I sometimes think if it was in one of the WFE bottles some people might have reviewed it differently. 

22 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

The value of BIB for me is largely the Proof vs similarly priced similarly aged products. There are days when 4 year old juice (or 6/10) taste right especially at 100 proof vs 80-90.  That being said, I'm glad the craft guys are getting there in terms of age but it's hard to see most of those releases as good values, Willett being the only on at anything approaching a low-mid shelf price.

Yes, but the proof already has to be on there by law.  It already has to be listed before, and regardless of, BIB declaration.  100 proof is not particular to solely BIBs.  

Sorry if I sound like I'm picking nits.

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

Yes, but the proof already has to be on there by law.  It already has to be listed before, and regardless of, BIB declaration.  100 proof is not particular to solely BIBs.  

Sorry if I sound like I'm picking nits.

But to my eyes it's easier to read Bottled in Bond printed big than 100 proof written small.  I don't think I ascribe any great value to BIB other than it's historical significance, though as a consumer I would be dishonest if I said that there wouldn't be a little disappointment if some of the long standing BIB bottles lost the designation. I think for some brands like HH it is and has been a part of their brand identity. I don't ascribe much value to the big guys adding BIB bottles to the lineup like CEHT, and I certainly don't see a reason for a brand like WT to add one to the stable when 101 exists.  

• I love Bottled in Bond whiskies, EWBIB is my favorite.  There is nothing wrong with transparency which bottled in bond requires to a high degree.  This is true in light of declining proof and nas whiskies. 

Just bought a EW BiB, really like it. Have OGD , Old Forrester, Old Fitz and a few others. I really like the BiB and hopefully it will continue without a huge price markup.

Just bought OGD, definitely drier and oakier on my palette than EWBIB.  Going to take time with this one.

• 2 months later...

Decades ago, BIBs were a distillery's front lines. The star player, often the distillery's namesake, would be their BIB. Then the distillery would market anywhere from one to four 90 proof secondary brands, often younger, always less expensive. Some, but not all, distilleries would have slightly lower tiers of value-priced blends of straight whiskeys, followed by blended whiskey. Brown-Forman, for example, had Old Forester as their BIB, Early Times as their secondary whiskey, and B-F and King as their blend of straights / blended whiskey (I forget which was which).  

When I turned 21, in 1986, I gravitated toward what a bartender friend of mine laughingly called "WW II Veteran's Whiskey", because I had caches of 1940s magazines and those were the large advertised brands. Old Fitz, ND Old Grand-Dad, ND Old Taylor, Old Forester. Of those, Old Forester and ND Old Taylor were my favorites.

Of today's BIBs, I always keep VOB and OGD on hand, because they're solid, dependable, and relatively inexpensive. I have EW but the bottle I have has a funky/musty tone to it, so I sort of blend it in with other whiskeys now and then just to ameliorate that. JTS Brown is pretty darn good, and Henry McKenna and CEHT Small Batch and Rye are outstanding.  I have one of the early bottles of Beam BIB, which while I enjoy it, the flavor has a note of peanuts to it, of all things.  (I still have a partial bottle of Old Fitz BIB, which is okay but nowhere near what it once was.) 

From small distilleries, all I really have right now is Tom's Foolery BIB, which I enjoy very much. 

On 4/4/2017 at 9:42 PM, kaiserhog said:

Just bought OGD, definitely drier and oakier on my palette than EWBIB.  Going to take time with this one.

The extra time with OGD has paid off, a fine bourbon indeed.

18 hours ago, kaiserhog said:

The extra time with OGD has paid off, a fine bourbon indeed.

Ain't it though!    Try the OGD 114, if you like the BIB.    It just may knock yer sox off (& even shoes). :P   ...And, at this time of year, going barefoot is entirely appropriate!  :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.