Bottled In Bond, 100 proof goodness

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The JW Dant BIB is a label that for lack of better words, has traveled around just a little. I have, or have had at least five different bottlings. I've also tasted at least one or two more. Look on the back label of your bottle. It should state where it was bottled and distilled at. For example, the bottle I currently have open was distilled at DSP-KY-1, and bottled at DSP-KY-31. DSP=Distilled Spirits Plant, or distillery. FWIW DSP-1 is HH/Bernheim (Louisville), and DSP-31 is HH (Bardstown). 

Cheers! Joe

Awesome Joe mine is exactly like yours distilled in Louisville, bottled in Bardstown.

I like the dant better than any of the other BIBs

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'm having some David Nicholson 1843 BIB right now. It's never been my favorite, but I'm giving it my attention tonight...

I picked up a bottle of Mellow Corn today.  Something seemed just a little bit different about the label; then I noticed it said DSP 1.  For many years it was made under contract by Brown-Forman at DSP 354.  I remember reading somewhere here B-F was going to stop contract distilling.  This was the same type of arrangement with Rittenhouse.

Anyway, it might be a few days before I can give the new Mellow Corn a proper tasting.

No big surprises with the DSP 1 Mellow Corn.  I may need to find some DSP 354 stragglers for a side by side.  I don't want to open the older one in the collection.    

5 hours ago, Hop said:

I picked up a bottle each of JTS Brown and JW Dant while in KY this week to give them a try

OLCC has JTS Brown BIB available for $16.95 -- good bourbon at a good price?

Thanks,

Dean

picked up another JB BIB today. went in to grab another SAOSBP, but all the BP bottles were under 100 proof, so I debated. I have like 8 already, so I thought Id grab another BIB. a $2 neck coupon helped me decide on the JBBIB. I like this bottling, but the regular price of just over $20 is a bit high for what it is, I think. Ny last one was on sale for $17, and I thought that was fair. love the bottle too!

Last weekend I had some BiBs at bars while out of town on a trip.  Rittenhouse rye BiB in my Old Fashioneds.  And I spent Saturday evening after dinner at a whiskey bar and ordered mostly EH Taylor Small Batch BiB, which was superb.

^Did you say you went Vegas? Wondering if you found any bars with a good selection of bourbons, comped ones ideally being the best.

1 hour ago, Queball said:

OLCC has JTS Brown BIB available for $16.95 -- good bourbon at a good price?

Thanks,

Dean

Dean,  Not sure myself as I haven't had it before and haven't opened this bottle yet.  But my opinion is that BIB bourbon for less than $20 is a pretty good bet :) 

the JBBIB is crazy easy to drink. seems too smooth to be a 4 year, and a nice aftertaste. But, I have yet to pick up on a JB 'funk'. a few bucks cheaper, It may replace my HH6BIB.....but currently its twice the cost of HH, so.....

14 hours ago, Hop said:

Dean,  Not sure myself as I haven't had it before and haven't opened this bottle yet.  But my opinion is that BIB bourbon for less than $20 is a pretty good bet :) 

Thanks, Hop!

Dean

So far I have 3 BIB bourbons, EW BIB, CEHTSiB, and Rittenhouse Rye. The EW BIB is good neat and nice for a stronger cocktail, the bottle is already gone! So far the CEHTSiB is a bit disappointing. I can't put my finger on it but it just isn't great. It's been a couple months since I've had a pour, I'll have to try it again tonight, see if it's changed. I would like to try the HH6 BIB, it just doesn't seem to be available in CA.

I'm not a Rye fan (well, not yet), and haven't cracked the Rittenhouse open yet. When I bought it, I only knew it was BIB so figured it will be decent and I would at least like/need it for some cocktails. The grocery store was trying to move a bunch of different bottles and it was < $6 :D

Edited by CaliER

I'm not a Rye fan (well, not yet), and haven't cracked the Rittenhouse open yet. When I bought it, I only knew it was BIB so figured it will be decent and I would at least like/need it for some cocktails. The grocery store was trying to move a bunch of different bottles and it was

Did you get the Rittenhouse for $6? If so, that is a steal.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ritt for $6 is awesome. If you like floral, dark fruit, and brown sugar, you should like the Ritt

3 hours ago, CaliER said:

The grocery store was trying to move a bunch of different bottles and it was < $6 :D

It would've been VERY hard for me to not take every bottle they had

Yep, $6. I'm still not familiar with it and it was mixed in with a bunch of other wine, vodka, etc... So I just took one of the couple I saw.

Floral, dark fruit and brown sugar sound awesome. Sounding a bit like 4RSiB, I may regret not opening it as soon as I got home to see if I liked it and go back to get what they had left. We'll see, maybe I'll open it along with another shot at CEHTSiB.

Don't go into it expecting a dose of 95% mgp rye, and give it a good 10 minutes to open up. It's a nice pour at a good price. It is a good choice at a bar, and it stands up to a lot of different foods if you wanted a drink with dinner.

Grabbed a 1.75 EW BIB for the first time, mainly out of frustration.  Went in looking for  AAA. Wow, they had no BT brands. Nothing. Nada. I'm not convinced the boom is over. But I digress from topic...

Note to self: EW BIB ain't too bad. But grab a case of HH 6yr when you're in state for the Sampler. 

BiBs will be my focus this year and with some upcoming road trips I am looking to add Dant and Fitz to the BiB home menu. I enjoy all the BiBs I have had so far and with the market in its current frenzied state I am more than happy to fly under the radar and play amongst the $20.00 and under offerings.

Edited by kcgumbohead

I had another pour of CEHTSiB tonight. I get some vanilla and sweetness upfront, nice, a slight burn and then it's gone, like the wind. Disappointing. This may be the most expensive bottle I've tried in a cocktail or blend... Maybe it's just the barrel my bottle came from.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:15 PM, kcgumbohead said:

BiBs will be my focus this year and with some upcoming road trips I am looking to add Dant and Fitz to the BiB home menu. I enjoy all the BiBs I have had so far and with the market in its current frenzied state I am more than happy to fly under the radar and play amongst the $20.00 and under offerings.

You are wise beyond your years young grasshopper.  :)

On 3/13/2017 at 11:09 PM, Whiskey Dick said:

the JBBIB is crazy easy to drink. seems too smooth to be a 4 year, and a nice aftertaste. But, I have yet to pick up on a JB 'funk'. a few bucks cheaper, It may replace my HH6BIB.....but currently its twice the cost of HH, so.....

Mixed emotions here - we, of course, cannot get HH BIB 6yr and have trouble finding VOB BIB "6", BUT, JB BIB consistently is readily available at just under $20 before tax.  NO funk so far, and I've gone through a half-dozen bottles since its introduction purchased one at a time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.