What bourbon did you purchase today? (Spring 2017)

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Curious what you drink for $21 that you like better?

WSR, OFBIB, VOB6, OC8, OC101, OWA (last one I bought was $21.99), OGD114 ($22.49), Rittenhouse, FRSmB ($21.79) to name a few. The bottle of RY10 I had was over $60 with shipping that my wife got me for Christmas because I couldn't get it locally.  It was just short of TERRIBLE. It improved slightly with time. All heat and very bitter oak with no sweetness. I like woody bourbon but this was very bitter.

30 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Curious what you drink for $21 that you like better?

I take your point but count me in as someone who disliked the bottle of RY10 I bought. Without even considering the price I just didn't like it and won't buy it again unless someone I trust approves the barrel.    I see the great reviews and chalk it up to barrel variation. A local has it now at $53 and I'm not even tempted. Too much uncertainty. I also didn't care for larceny so perhaps even a good bottle of RY10 wouldn't work for me. Glad for those who like it. It's just not me. Or Clueby apparently. 

2 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I take your point but count me in as someone who disliked the bottle of RY10 I bought. Without even considering the price I just didn't like it and won't buy it again unless someone I trust approves the barrel.    I see the great reviews and chalk it up to barrel variation. A local has it now at $53 and I'm not even tempted. Too much uncertainty. I also didn't care for larceny so perhaps even a good bottle of RY10 wouldn't work for me. Glad for those who like it. It's just not me. Or Clueby apparently. 

I'm also in the camp that doesn't like Larceny either. But I DO like OFBIB..so go figure. Like I said, if I could try it first I might be interested but it would have to be significantly different than than the bottle/barrel I had.

Little late posting what I brought home from Lexington after our annual golf trip -- not all bourbon as I prepare for an upcoming high school graduation. Jack is for the guests, but the rest is to share with friends and family. Have never tried Johnny Drum so hope it's halfway decent.  No brainer on the EW BIB 1.75. 

IMG_0065.JPG

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

WSR, OFBIB, VOB6, OC8, OC101, OWA (last one I bought was $21.99), OGD114 ($22.49), Rittenhouse, FRSmB ($21.79) to name a few. The bottle of RY10 I had was over $60 with shipping that my wife got me for Christmas because I couldn't get it locally.  It was just short of TERRIBLE. It improved slightly with time. All heat and very bitter oak with no sweetness. I like woody bourbon but this was very bitter.

Well it must have been terrible alright, a funked up barrel, if you drink VOB and current Old Charter and you still didn't like it.  I'm glad I didn't get ahold of any bottles from the barrel yours came from, I'd be disappointed too.  Talk about barrel variation, this one must have it in spades.

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I need some self control, bought a EC12 and a WA107. I wasn't going to get more but it's the 1L which I haven't seen yet. I'm done buying unless I find a 20 year old dusty...it could happen.

00806bfdee1e2fb764a8ec94d7a063d9.jpg

aa8f3cb4d7926a32c028a9f6e0ca01c7.jpg

d929cfccfef8e14f6c132b2d9cfa58c2.jpg

Almost picked up the exact same bottles. Went with the OWA 107 instead of both, but if the EC back stated 12 are still on the shelf next week, I might have to grab one.

Stopped at Midway yesterday which isn't real local to me and picked up a bottle of their store pick EC at 8 y.o. for $30 plus tax. Then, today I stopped by a local store where the owner has set aside a few nice things for me over the last 6 months or so. I missed out on the EHT 4G (he said he only got two bottles and they were gone) but he said he had a bottle of OWA for me. He went to the back and was gone a long time and came back with the OWA ($30) and the W12 ($40). I was ecstatic. I've had W12 in bars and at a friend's house and it's a favorite but in five years of searching shelves this was the first time I found it at retail. (My searching wasn't as efficient before finding this site.) I'm content.  

IMG_2764.JPG

Technically I purchased these last weekend during Sampler, but I shipped them to myself and just received them:

(3) HHBIB 6yr, 4R OESV, and rarely seen these days, a 4R OBSK.

I ventured into Knoxville this morning and it was worthwhile.  MC's on the east side has some ridiculously low prices on barrel picks.  I grabbed a case of RRSiB for $29.99 each :D.  They have KCSB for $32.99 which I sampled too and it's good.  Dickel 9yr for $26.99 and FR OBSF for $36.99...didn't care for those.  Probably going to grab some KCSB on the way home.

IMG_0647.thumb.JPG.fce84635e9900951965490c415fcfe78.JPG

^need to got Knoxville can't even find RRSB Barrel picks here. Also standard RRSB is $45 and RR10 is $30.

4 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

I ventured into Knoxville this morning and it was worthwhile.  MC's on the east side has some ridiculously low prices on barrel picks.  I grabbed a case of RRSiB for $29.99 each :D.  They have KCSB for $32.99 which I sampled too and it's good.  Dickel 9yr for $26.99 and FR OBSF for $36.99...didn't care for those.  Probably going to grab some KCSB on the way home.

Thanks for the heads-up as I plan to be out that way next month. MC's usually has a pretty impressive selection of barrel picks, and good prices, but the ones you saw are fantastic prices. I actually have the KCSB and 4R OBSF from there already, but had not cracked either of them open yet. I tried the OBSF and it's quite good, but that is my favorite 4R recipe, so it's not surprising. I will have to grab a few at $36.99 if they are still available later.

Picked up a some new stuff on a trip to SC.

SAOS SB x6 different (10-11yr) $60 ea

SA American Whiskey $35

No pictured:

JB SB (Frugal McDoogal Selection) $30

Bird Dog 10 yr $35

EWSB 2009 (2 different barrels) $25 ea

KCSB Total Wine $42

KCSB Frugal McDoogal $40

Heart of Mystic SB Barrel 6 $24

Belle Meade SB 10 yr Bottles Selection $55

Some low end crap from Total Wine:

Paddleford Creek $22

Colonel Lee $17 1.75L

Lazy River $24

Buckhorn $18

Sam Houston $24

and in the not-a-bourbon category:

Copper and Kings Brandy Butchertown Release - got this for only $38 and it's awesome.

IMG_8601.JPG

1 hour ago, silverc said:

Thanks for the heads-up as I plan to be out that way next month. MC's usually has a pretty impressive selection of barrel picks, and good prices, but the ones you saw are fantastic prices. I actually have the KCSB and 4R OBSF from there already, but had not cracked either of them open yet. I tried the OBSF and it's quite good, but that is my favorite 4R recipe, so it's not surprising. I will have to grab a few at $36.99 if they are still available later.

From what I gathered by speaking with the girl at the store....they dropped the prices recently to move the product.  She said the RRSiB wasn't selling at normal price ($50-60 I assume).  They had some nice allocated stuff too, but those were priced too high.  $100 for ECBP & Stagg JR.  Nice score on the SAOS SiB! ^

Edited by Nm0369

^^^I've been working on one of his PS KCSB's.  It's pretty darn good (a bit closed up initially but a definite flavor bomb, with a great finish).  You sure won't beat that price... anywhere! 

11 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

$100 for ECBP & Stagg JR.  Nice score on the SAOS SiB! ^

ECBP is $100 here in NYC (down for granddaughter#2's third birthday party yesterday) - YIKES!   :blink:

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling of course.

15 hours ago, silverc said:

Picked up a some new stuff on a trip to SC.

SAOS SB x6 different (10-11yr) $60 ea

SA American Whiskey $35

No pictured:

JB SB (Frugal McDoogal Selection) $30

Bird Dog 10 yr $35

EWSB 2009 (2 different barrels) $25 ea

KCSB Total Wine $42

KCSB Frugal McDoogal $40

Heart of Mystic SB Barrel 6 $24

Belle Meade SB 10 yr Bottles Selection $55

Some low end crap from Total Wine:

Paddleford Creek $22

Colonel Lee $17 1.75L

Lazy River $24

Buckhorn $18

Sam Houston $24

and in the not-a-bourbon category:

Copper and Kings Brandy Butchertown Release - got this for only $38 and it's awesome.

IMG_8601.JPG

Very Nice!

3 bottles of OWA and 2 bottles of BT, both single barrel store selects. 

Edited by Journeyman

On 5/4/2017 at 5:19 PM, jvd99 said:

Love these - picked this up a few minutes ago

nice, did you open the bottle yet and try it?  I saw it at Binny's a couple weeks ago and almost pulled the trigger but went to warehouse liquors and got a FRPS OESO and a ER10 store pick instead.

1 hour ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

nice, did you open the bottle yet and try it?  I saw it at Binny's a couple weeks ago and almost pulled the trigger but went to warehouse liquors and got a FRPS OESO and a ER10 store pick instead.

It's opened and I like it.  I haven't had a bad MMPS yet

84371f8b20ad95750c49d4e58b5c76ac.jpg
Killed off a few last week so figured I would replenish the bunker. Haven't been a huge fan of KC, but have heard/read great reviews on the KCSB store selects lately. This one was 13 yrs and was 44.50. Figured I'd give it a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

84371f8b20ad95750c49d4e58b5c76ac.jpg
Killed off a few last week so figured I would replenish the bunker. Haven't been a huge fan of KC, but have heard/read great reviews on the KCSB store selects lately. This one was 13 yrs and was 44.50. Figured I'd give it a shot.

Also figured I'd give to the wife to give back to me on father's day!! Everybody's a winner!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.