What bourbon did you purchase today? (Spring 2017)

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked this up on a road trip that took me through WV last week.

Really loving the label design.  The juice is pretty darn good too (store owner gave me a pour).

IMAG1959[1].jpg

Cheers! Joe
hh.jpeg.576c7e6f38f1d48ed7a53acc638a973d.jpeg

Ned more HHBiB, what an awesome picture.

Didn't plan to, but came across a deal I couldn't pass up grocery shopping at Jewel. Rittenhouse Rye BIB for 13.99. Bought 3 but might go back to pick up a couple more if they last that long. 

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I only made one purchase while in Bardstown for our get together. But it was a good one. ;) FWIW, I'm not a braggart or a hoarder. I love HH6 BIB, as do some of my family and friends. I won't be able to make it to Bardstown this fall, so I figured I'd grab a few more bottles than usual. All will be consumed by myself, or shared with the aforementioned family and friends. My niece's husband has developed an interest in bourbon, and a bottle or two are for him. Vosgar and I are part of a small, local bourbon and cigar group, and I muled home a couple of bottles for them as well. We're looking at a possible get together Wednesday night so I can share the wealth. :D

Cheers! Joe

hh.jpeg

You sir are a smart man. Even if it was only for you.

On 4/28/2017 at 9:59 PM, Kepler said:

This is one of those that you know after one sip that it's a winner.

Here is the back label, yep Tennessee. I'm a fan now.  Sorry for the lousy photo

20170428_205122.jpeg

I thought batch 11 was fantastic. The best batch I've tasted, but I haven't had them all. Enjoy!!!

This is one of those that you know after one sip that it's a winner.

Here is the back label, yep Tennessee. I'm a fan now.  Sorry for the lousy photo
20170428_205122.thumb.jpeg.44d6f7593a39ead4bc8ff30089efe34b.jpeg

Word is out on this it won San Fran spirits competition for best bourbon.

I was doing some window shopping at the local Total Wine which had this on the shelf for weeks and it was stocked out, heck saw plenty of bottles as recently as last Saturday.

On 4/30/2017 at 11:09 PM, JSpartan said:

I Haven't purchased it yet, but I'm stopping by the store tomorrow and debating between a store select of RR Single Barrel i've been eyeing and OF 1920. 

I'd love to get both, but need to pick up some OF Mint Julep for a Derby party next weekend too and can't blow the bourbon budget on May 1st.

Suggestions?

It is now May 2nd... BLOW THE BUDGET!!!

22 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Word is out on this it won San Fran spirits competition for best bourbon.

I was doing some window shopping at the local Total Wine which had this on the shelf for weeks and it was stocked out, heck saw plenty of bottles as recently as last Saturday.

Fred may need to come up with some new words to describe the San Francisco competion! First the winner was shocking in 2015. Then the winner was an upset in 2016.

And now we have hit the daily double in 2017 as the winner was a shocking upset...

Best Bourbon: The Shocking Winner at San Francisco World Spirits 2015

Best Bourbon: The Unbelievable ‘Best Whisky’ Upset in ’16 San Francisco World Spirits Competition

Shocking Whiskey Upsets at '17 San Fran World Spirits Comp

Barrell Batch 11 was indeed the winner in this "shocking upset"

Edited by tanstaafl2

^The one benefit of being new to bourbon nerdom is there's still plenty of good bottles that I haven't purchased yet. I'm sure the barrel 11 is a really good bottle but I'm not ready to dish out $80 and now look for something that is 6 yr old Dickel, when I've still haven't got around to sitting down with my own bottle of stuff like Booker's, OF1920 and a ton of other stuff.

I mean if I was in most of your guys shoes and have gone through bottles of other stuff Barrel 11 seems like a good opportunity to try something nice and different.

41 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Fred may need to come up with some new words to describe the San Francisco competion! First the winner was shocking in 2015. Then the winner was an upset in 2016.

And now we have hit the daily double in 2017 as the winner was a shocking upset...

I noticed this the other day, it's all a bit clickbaity for my liking. And is it shocking that Barrell won with everyone hyping them throughout the year? I think not. 

Edited by beasled

As an aside, I think it's a fantastic business model by Barrell Bourbon.  As an NDP marketing itself as every batch / bourbon being different, they never have to worry about profile changes, or sources drying up, etc.  And bottling at cask strength appeals to bourbon veterans, while rookies may buy for the hype or sheer limitedness, they pull in both ends of the spectrum.

Visiting my mother in a small rural community and found these 4 age stated products.  They have disappeared from my neck of the woods...happy to see that a few are still out there sitting on a shelf waiting on a home.

IMG_1226.JPG

^nice haul of EC12, I can find these but only with the age statement on the back

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

As an aside, I think it's a fantastic business model by Barrell Bourbon.  As an NDP marketing itself as every batch / bourbon being different, they never have to worry about profile changes, or sources drying up, etc.  And bottling at cask strength appeals to bourbon veterans, while rookies may buy for the hype or sheer limitedness, they pull in both ends of the spectrum.

Who knows, it might also prompt some distilleries into releasing their own barrel proof releases. 

Who knows, it might also prompt some distilleries into releasing their own barrel proof releases. 

Hopefully this! If Dickel did this and cut out the middle man and passed the savings to us? I mean it could happen.

3 hours ago, JTaylor said:

It is now May 2nd... BLOW THE BUDGET!!!

I went with the RR SiB Binny's select since it was the last one on the shelf. OF 1920 is next on my list.

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

Picked this up on a road trip that took me through WV last week.

Really loving the label design.  The juice is pretty darn good too (store owner gave me a pour).

IMAG1959[1].jpg

Probably a silly question, but this is their own stock, right? 

Basically, I'm wondering if it is a new label for the American Whiskey. I've been swamped at work recently and have sadly not been keeping up on bourbon developments. 

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

^nice haul of EC12, I can find these but only with the age statement on the back

Same here. Got one today, at Target (!). But I still think the front-stated is better; I think they still used better barrels then.

I got a call from my buddy saying he was at a liquor barn and Jimmy Russell was signing bottles. I told him to pick me up a rare breed
b88e6b2910e8e65a7ddd9eff35e9ba97.jpg

Just so you know Jimmy's wife was there also and she wanted me to tell you that she thought that was the prettiest bottle they made

On 5/1/2017 at 10:47 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

I only made one purchase while in Bardstown for our get together. But it was a good one. ;) FWIW, I'm not a braggart or a hoarder. I love HH6 BIB, as do some of my family and friends. I won't be able to make it to Bardstown this fall, so I figured I'd grab a few more bottles than usual. All will be consumed by myself, or shared with the aforementioned family and friends. My niece's husband has developed an interest in bourbon, and a bottle or two are for him. Vosgar and I are part of a small, local bourbon and cigar group, and I muled home a couple of bottles for them as well. We're looking at a possible get together Wednesday night so I can share the wealth. :D

Cheers! Joe

hh.jpeg

that's about the single best way to drop $150 in the bourbon world, right there

curiosity got the better of me yesterday. picking up wine for Mrs. Dick yesterday while at Costco, and saw the Tennessee 7 year/103 proof bourbon for $29/liter. I like Dickel, so I figured Id give it a try, assuming it was Dickel sourced. I really can't say. On entry, yes, after that, who knows. Overall, not a favorable impression. My guess is it is a lot of whiskey Dickel didnt think made the cut and sold it in bulk.

Same here. Got one today, at Target (!). But I still think the front-stated is better; I think they still used better barrels then.

I wouldn't know from my own experience but I would think that was the case.

I got a call from my buddy saying he was at a liquor barn and Jimmy Russell was signing bottles. I told him to pick me up a rare breed
b88e6b2910e8e65a7ddd9eff35e9ba97.jpg

Just so you know Jimmy's wife was there also and she wanted me to tell you that she thought that was the prettiest bottle they made

Still getting out and seeing the public what a cool guy.

BTW is that an Old Fitz in the cart, envious.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.