What bottle did you open today? Spring 2017

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On March 24, 2017 at 10:00 PM, HoustonNit said:

I guess I need to get some OF1920 it's $50 and almost walking distance from my place.

I have a good amount left of GTS Jr. batch 5 and can get more down the street for $45. I enjoy the BT stuff more so not sure a 120 proof OF1920. I need find a pour of OF1920 first and see whether I want a bottle.

That OF 1920 is a nice pour. I agree it's best to try it first if you can, but I'd put it above the OFBB. And it doesn't drink like a 115 proof, FWIW.

Since I've crammed bottles on my "bar" like a Tetris game, my next one to open depends mostly on which shape bottle I just emptied.

Wine bottle out = wine bottle in.

Been awhile since I've had ER10.

Fyi, it's still good. :)

IMAG1903.jpg

Over the weekend and hanging out with good friends and at one of there lake house I brought these two bottles and gifted the OFBB 2014 to the host. That was stellar and a very good pour.

d107c29951217c43b53b12beedc91f39.jpg

Had my team finished something super critical for quarter end that took months and incredible man/brain power, came home and treat myself with a PHC POH from the bunker.

f31131b9f3d10bbd709b6641ba1440a4.jpg

Had my team finished something super critical for quarter end that took months and incredible man/brain power, came home and treat myself with a PHC POH from the bunker.

f31131b9f3d10bbd709b6641ba1440a4.jpg

I need to get in with your purveyors you've got the good stuff.

0e16afb8412c3ee4ae972e73b74031c2.jpg
Have been dreading opening this since the rowans creek was opened last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Verdict? I'm a fan of both.

Verdict? I'm a fan of both.

Not a big fan at all......too much black licorice taste for me. I'll steer clear from here on out...

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

I have that same scratch n sniff book that one of my employees got for me for Christmas a couple years ago! Its in my bourbon cabinet.

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Not a big fan at all......too much black licorice taste for me. I'll steer clear from here on out...

Don't forget the peanut taste...

Ugh.

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Don't forget the peanut taste...

Ugh.

The two best qualities of these KBD bottlings, different strokes for different folks.

Cracked a barrel select HW American Prarie finished in Manhattan barrel. It tastes as good as it sounds.

2 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

I've had some bottles of NM that were some of the best whiskey I've ever had .  Others , have been...OK.    My last bottle that I just recently killed was stellar.  A fair amount of variance as might be expected, considering its KBD roots .  My good experiences keep me pulling the trigger from time-to-time.

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I've had some bottles of NM that were some of the best whiskey I've ever had .  Others , have been...OK.    My last bottle that I just recently killed was stellar.  A fair amount of variance as might be expected, considering its KBD roots .  My good experiences keep me pulling the trigger from time-to-time.

I'm glad people enjoy this stuff.

The only bottle I ever bought I immediately recognized the "beam-ness" of as it tasted like bookers, cut with something else I didn't enjoy much.

The thing that really boggles my mind is how everything from KBD tastes the same.  Noah's, Johnny, Old Bardstown Estate, XO, KY vin.....etc.

All tastes like the same hot peanut death mixture,   just different proofs.

Different strokes.

Different palates.

Makes it a fun hobby.

:)

Edited by 0895

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

The thing that really boggles my mind is how everything from KBD tastes the same.  Noah's, Johnny, Old Bardstown Estate, XO, KY vin.....etc.

Different strokes.

Different palates.

Makes it a fun hobby.

That really is mind boggling, since the chances are overwhelmingly in favor that from all of those bottles that you find so similar, probably each were whiskies sourced from a different distillery like Brown Foreman, Heaven Hill, and/or Beam!  And, specific to Noah's Mill, it is a blend of various low and high rye mashbills, and also even  a wheater.  

Yes, different palates.

37 minutes ago, 0895 said:

The only bottle I ever bought I immediately recognized the "beam-ness" of as it tasted like bookers, cut with something else I didn't enjoy much.

Different strokes.

Different palates.

Makes it a fun hobby.

Interesting. I cant get old bardstown to taste the same twice since ive opened it. Getting better everytime though...ill be trying some johnny drum when that bottle is gone. 

Opened a bottle of Blanton's Gold tonight, while watching the game,with some friends. Was very impressed with how smooth it was. Everyone enjoyed it as well. Anyone know if SFTB is better or the same? 

On 01/04/2017 at 2:59 PM, 0895 said:

Different strokes.

Different palates.

Makes it a fun hobby.

Same here, it was awfull, but a friend liked it so i gave it to him.

12 hours ago, RussianBourbonLover said:

Opened a bottle of Blanton's Gold tonight, while watching the game,with some friends. Was very impressed with how smooth it was. Everyone enjoyed it as well. Anyone know if SFTB is better or the same? 

I very much enjoy barrel proof whiskey, but I found Gold to be much better balanced and enjoyable.

SFTB (to my palate) was just hot and mean.  That being said, I didn't spend much time messing with it in terms of water and air.

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

I very much enjoy barrel proof whiskey, but I found Gold to be much better balanced and enjoyable.

SFTB (to my palate) was just hot and mean.  That being said, I didn't spend much time messing with it in terms of water and air.

0895 - Thanks for the input! 

Bottle of Baby Saz was opened as a salute to the series premiere of Brockmire.

Doing a tasting of the OC 8 yr I picked up today and comparing to ER10. surprisingly very similar. ER10 is slightly darker. Both have a similar nose but it's more pronounced on the ER10. ER10 has a little more going on and a much better finish but OC8 is solid for what it is.

e7fbd2bdbd2651ebf77618ed58279835.jpg

Ran across Weller Reserve on sale at $16.99 and since I couldn't recall buying a bottle before, I took one home for investigatory examination and evaluation. It's not bad at all and pretty good for that price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.