What bottle did you open today? Spring 2017

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Doing a tasting of the OC 8 yr I picked up today and comparing to ER10. surprisingly very similar. ER10 is slightly darker. Both have a similar nose but it's more pronounced on the ER10. ER10 has a little more going on and a much better finish but OC8 is solid for what it is.

e7fbd2bdbd2651ebf77618ed58279835.jpg

Glad you're enjoying the purchase - try adding some of the ER to the OC8 - I've been doing that with the OC8 and Charter 101 and love it.   

9 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

Ran across Weller Reserve on sale at $16.99 and since I couldn't recall buying a bottle before, I took one home for investigatory examination and evaluation. It's not bad at all and pretty good for that price.

I'd buy a bunch at that price. ;)When you can find it here, it's $10.00 more. By the way, was it the new bottle/label?

Cheers! Joe

Glad you're enjoying the purchase - try adding some of the ER to the OC8 - I've been doing that with the OC8 and Charter 101 and love it.   

Hmm what about mixing Buffalo Trace and OC8? It's good on its own so I might not mess with it, but didn't like quite as much as ER10 last night. I'm considering doing a blind taste of several BT products in the next week or two a BT mashbill mixup match up. A couple mashbill 1 vs. 2 blind. Would be awesome if I chose OC8 over ETL but then again with OC8yr being extinct that might suck.

Opened up a bottle I grabbed last fall: Eagle rare 17-year.    Very nice, if just a tad oaky.    Wonderful nose, and pretty good finish for a 90-proofer.

16 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Doing a tasting of the OC 8 yr I picked up today and comparing to ER10. surprisingly very similar. ER10 is slightly darker. Both have a similar nose but it's more pronounced on the ER10. ER10 has a little more going on and a much better finish but OC8 is solid for what it is.

e7fbd2bdbd2651ebf77618ed58279835.jpg

Slightly darker??? In this picture the ER in the glass looks like it has had some motor oil added compared to the OC8!

Maybe it is just the picture making it look that way?

3 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Slightly darker??? In this picture the ER in the glass looks like it has had some motor oil added compared to the OC8!

I was thinking the exact same thing.... Looks like some dark eagle rare

6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

1 minute ago, bourbon4all said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.... Looks like some dark eagle rare

I thought the the same thing too. Way before y'all posted. That 90 eagle rare looks very very dark.

I'll be opening an OC8 as soon as get to the hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The eagle rare bottle has a black label on the back, and I would wager that is most of the difference. Even in the glass since it's in front of the bottle...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The eagle rare bottle has a black label on the back, and I would wager that is most of the difference. Even in the glass since it's in front of the bottle...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

This is it. Sorry for the bad pic. When I brought it my living room it was not nearly as noticeable.

Found this one while going through the bunker.  One sip reminded me why I got it.  Store pick, NAS, 110p.

Fresh berries, a blast of rye and heat, with a delicate caramel finish.

I honestly think it's better than the empty stagg JR it replaced on the shelf.... If you enjoy the berries flavor profile.

:)

IMAG1927_1.jpg

Just cracked both of these open against my will.  I have a lead on more of this new batch of ECBP for retail, but the reviews seem mixed.  Need to decide if it's worth bunkering over Stagg JR or $50 Bookers.

IMG_0593.thumb.JPG.3fdfe1af39a810f001b46744db74c2cf.JPG

Just cracked both of these open against my will.  I have a lead on more of this new batch of ECBP for retail, but the reviews seem mixed.  Need to decide if it's worth bunkering over Stagg JR or $50 Bookers.

IMG_0593.thumb.JPG.3fdfe1af39a810f001b46744db74c2cf.JPG

Which one do you prefer?

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Which one do you prefer?

It wasn't even close...Stagg JR was much better for my taste.  I poured a little 136 proof ECBP to make sure I was giving a fair evaluation.  The new batch ECBP is mostly ethanol on the nose and oak on the palate.  The Stagg has a great nose, and I get some dark fruit on the palate that reminds me of four roses.  I didn't notice much difference with a small amount of water.  Comparing the ECBP 127 vs 136....I'd favor the 136.  It's definitely hotter but there's some complexity along with the heat.  I hope the 127 improves with air time...not a big fan of heavy oak profiles.

All the recent posts about 4RSmB reminded me I have an unopened bottle I've had for about 3 yrs so I opened that tonight. On the deck with that and a Cohiba listening to some Johnny Cash.

2023df2fd7fc0dffef609b142f335609.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just opened my latest Old Scout. Purchased thanks to a few fine gentlemen here on this board because it has become too expensive to buy it here locally (Old Scout Single Barrels go for right around 100.00 bones around here if you can find them). Hopefully one day we can all get together for a big Bourbon drink off / hoedown.

Huzzah

Olds.thumb.jpg.ae948941de8ec50e23fdc774b3d7fe75.jpg

Edited by Government Beard

Just opened my latest Old Scout. Purchased thanks to a few fine gentlemen here on this board because it has become too expensive to buy it here locally (Old Scout Single Barrels go for right around 100.00 bones around here if you can find them). Hopefully one day we can all get together for a big Bourbon drink off / hoedown.

Huzzah

Olds.thumb.jpg.ae948941de8ec50e23fdc774b3d7fe75.jpg

How is it? I just got another one that I'll open at some point.

32 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

How is it? I just got another one that I'll open at some point.

Just finished the first dram. Dangerous, dangerous stuff. I generally don't like using the term "smooth" but at 112 Proof this is very drinkable. 

I get sweetness up front with wood/oaky spice on the mid taste. A nice satisfying dryness on the finish. Still writing a few notes to compile for an "official" review at some point.

I have Barrel #3476 bottled on 11/11/16 by Saint Sarah. I would be interested to read your notes when you give yours a world.

Cheers. 

2 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

It wasn't even close...Stagg JR was much better for my taste.  I poured a little 136 proof ECBP to make sure I was giving a fair evaluation.  The new batch ECBP is mostly ethanol on the nose and oak on the palate.  The Stagg has a great nose, and I get some dark fruit on the palate that reminds me of four roses.  I didn't notice much difference with a small amount of water.  Comparing the ECBP 127 vs 136....I'd favor the 136.  It's definitely hotter but there's some complexity along with the heat.  I hope the 127 improves with air time...not a big fan of heavy oak profiles.

I found it to get much better after 4-5 weeks & a third down. It was really hot just-opened, but mellowed much & doesnt need any water now.

Just finished the first dram. Dangerous, dangerous stuff. I generally don't like using the term "smooth" but at 112 Proof this is very drinkable. 

I get sweetness up front with wood/oaky spice on the mid taste. A nice satisfying dryness on the finish. Still writing a few notes to compile for an "official" review at some point.

I have Barrel #3476 bottled on 11/11/16 by Saint Sarah. I would be interested to read your notes when you give yours a world.

Cheers. 

Almost identical, I love this stuff! It's something I want to share with non bourbon drinkers to show them what bourbon
can be.

Image result for big house  bourbon

Opened up this last night.  It's around $20 by me and Sazerac is upfront with where they get it.  Quality bourbon once you get passed all the marketing BS.  I actually prefer this to BT.

1 hour ago, DeepCover said:

Curiosity got the best of me...

Saint Sarah of Maxwelton likes all types of music, from punk to reggae. She also likes a good day on the river.

http://smoothambler.com/makers/sarah-gotfelty/

image.jpeg

:lol: I don't know how long I'd last on their bottling line. Temptation would get the best of me. To note, there has been a general consensus that bottles Sarah has signed off on have been the best. I don't necessarily follow this hypothesis but I also haven't tasted tons and tons of SAOS

26 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Almost identical, I love this stuff! It's something I want to share with non bourbon drinkers to show them what bourbon
can be.

Awesome. I have two more bottles in the bunker but truthfully I am not sure how long they will last. I don't think this one which was just opened will be around too long.

Did you stash a couple of bottles away?

Big-house-Bourbon-500.jpg
Opened up this last night.  It's around $20 by me and Sazerac is upfront with where they get it.  Quality bourbon once you get passed all the marketing BS.  I actually prefer this to BT.

This seems pretty solid. I did a quick google search. Would totally pick up an age stated 6yr, high rye MGP product for less than $25 if available to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.