What bottle did you open today? Spring 2017

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/28/2017 at 11:37 PM, Kepler said:

Putting a decent dent in this Barrell Bourbon #11 that I picked up today.  At this rate it won't last long.

WIN_20170428_233304.JPG

I've seen reviews that rate batch 11 as one of the best. The stores around me still have batches 5 and 6 on the shelf so I probably won't get a chance to buy one. I'll be curious to hear what you think of it. 

Newer bottle of ECBP. First pour.

It appears not quite as thick a mouth feel and slightly more spice. Only first pour though will see after a while.

ecf2ad670ced36df2d944a34e7509213.jpg

On Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I've seen reviews that rate batch 11 as one of the best. The stores around me still have batches 5 and 6 on the shelf so I probably won't get a chance to buy one. I'll be curious to hear what you think of it. 

Well  first Barrell for me so I don't have a comparison. It's really excellent though. Recommended.

About time I opened this, needed to clear out some stinkers first.

1403a45ca9d8b552019754c595e0fb35.jpg

ca7a8bad1f918bc4177fb5f1cb7e202c.jpg
Looking forward to this one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I've seen reviews that rank 6 higher than 11. If your interested I'd go for 6.

11 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

If I can find some 11 I'd be happy to do a SBS.

2 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

One of my favorites. I'm worried the price is gonna start creeping up on this one too.

8 hours ago, JSpartan said:

One of my favorites. I'm worried the price is gonna start creeping up on this one too.

I remember when CEHT was alway priced to high for my budget. Now most of the stuff that I consider inferior is priced competitively to it. 

8 hours ago, JSpartan said:

I'll buy it around $35 but not when it gets over that. I see it often north of $50 and sometimes in the $60s.

Edited by Clueby

14 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Wanted to compare new vs dusty, so cracked open this new RHF (actually this one bottled in 2014).  Yes the new one darker but not as buttery smooth nor as rich as the dusty with the cheesy gold chain.

WIN_20170507_001500.JPG

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Wanted to compare new vs dusty, so cracked open this new RHF (actually this one bottled in 2014).  Yes the new one darker but not as buttery smooth nor as rich as the dusty with the cheesy gold chain.

WIN_20170507_001500.JPG

That's a good day right there.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:52 PM, HoustonNit said:

San Francisco seemed to LOVE Barrell Batch #11 (see 2017 SF Awards), but I still prefer my favorite Batch #6.  But I'm also very happy sipping my 13yr Batch #9, too.   YMMV.  Ahhhh, First World problems . . . . . . . . .  :D

10d550a15d79f508431b4d83f860ed94.jpg
Opened this tonight. After killing off a few sub par bottles I have opened a er10, 4rsib, hmck10, and a cehtsmb this week. I'll be a happy camper for a while. Love it when you figure out what u like!!

Spent all day Saturday riding in the woods.  Got back to a friends house and we cracked a Russell's Reserve.   Sipped on that awhile, then threw a dead steer on the grill. What a way to end a great day!

15 hours ago, Mule Skinner said:

Spent all day Saturday riding in the woods.  Got back to a friends house and we cracked a Russell's Reserve.   Sipped on that awhile, then threw a dead steer on the grill. What a way to end a great day!

Were you riding something with a couple of wheels; 4-hooves;.... or if you were really lucky; 2-feet...?    :o    Just bein' nosy...

Actually opened both of these up.  I was interested in doing a side by side comparison between the 9 year old and the NAS stuff.  There was a noticeable difference with the win going to the 9 year old.  I found the differences so overwhelming I might have to relegate the NAS to "mixer only".  Of course the NAS bottles are becoming more and more the norm in my area which tends to make me want to start stashing the 9 year old.  

20170224_140817.jpg

3 hours ago, M1marksman said:

Actually opened both of these up.  I was interested in doing a side by side comparison between the 9 year old and the NAS stuff.  There was a noticeable difference with the win going to the 9 year old.  I found the differences so overwhelming I might have to relegate the NAS to "mixer only".  Of course the NAS bottles are becoming more and more the norm in my area which tends to make me want to start stashing the 9 year old.  

20170224_140817.jpg

Your nine year old is a store pick and possibly a single barrel. You might want to try comparing NAS to a standard 9 year before reaching your conclusion. 

4 hours ago, M1marksman said:

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

Your nine year old is a store pick and possibly a single barrel. You might want to try comparing NAS to a standard 9 year before reaching your conclusion. 

Good Point by flahute. I have 3 different store picks that are older & tastier. It's not so much the oak that I like more. It's a lot more mellow. The flavor & easy sipper combo make them a winner! Glad your enjoying the KC120 single barrel M1marksman. One of the best values out there!

Cheers,

Jeff

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Glad you mentioned this, Steve.  Someplace on SB, I did post my "feelings" about the basic 9YR vs. the basic NAS (complete with pictures) and found the difference marginal.  Recently, I picked up a store pick KC Small Barrel and tried it and then did a SBS.  It was smoother and richer than either the basic 9YR or the basic NAS, the latter two being indistinguishable from each other.

Excellent point. I'll have to do that. I've got a bottle of Single Barrel I want to add to the testing too.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, flahute said:

And do it blind if you didn't before. Amazing how much the label influences perception!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.