What bottle did you open today? Spring 2017

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I see what the fuss is about. 

Enjoyable first pour.

IMG_4743.JPG

Edited by TheBrownHound

^Yes! Yet people still buy Basil Hayden. I made that mistake before I found this place.

Opened up this pair last evening. Lest I find myself back in a duty free anytime soon, I figured I should get a sense of the differences b/w Blanton's Gold and SFTB. When I came across these bottles in the Caribbean a few weeks ago, I bought two of each.

First taste of each after opening was nice, but these both need some airtime. Gold was less impressive than the SFTB, as undiluted, it can't really hang with a barrel-proofer. SFTB was nicely flavored and textured, but sure was hot. I'll revisit these in a couple of weeks to see how they are opening up.

dc00feb1a3887a124c15837d8dcf9786.jpg

a9874c9af61b1f1954fdc75ecb14c9db.jpg

I was looking around in the bunker; decided to open an Evan Williams 225th anniversary.  My math tell me it was from 2008.  It's just your basic EW.  No surprises good or bad.

A bottle of OWA and HH6yrBIB found new homes in the liquor cabinet having been moved from their nice cool and dry location in the basement.

6 hours ago, elmossle said:

A bottle of OWA and HH6yrBIB found new homes in the liquor cabinet having been moved from their nice cool and dry location in the basement.

Can you get the HH6BIB in NC?  That is one I am trying to find. Thx 

49 minutes ago, TheBrownHound said:

Can you get the HH6BIB in NC?  That is one I am trying to find. Thx 

I'll answer for him - no you can't but some of us have family in KY and tend to load up when we go back and keep this one on hand

Opened a bottle of Sazerac in Nashville just now.
04865c0ebe0f4280a48a105344847ede.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tasting the 1792 full proof for the first time.

Big thx to Beasled for the tip on this one.

Cheers to you buddy! 

Will.

IMG_8331.JPG

25 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Cheers to you buddy! 

Will.

IMG_8331.JPG

Welcome sir! Hope you enjoy it :)

Cheers to you buddy! 

Will.

IMG_8331.thumb.JPG.4a3e947df882034e6aba8797440696ae.JPG

How is it?

28 minutes ago, beasled said:

Welcome sir! Hope you enjoy it :)

Sure, it is a really fun pour, the nose is quite enjoyable, on the mouthfeel, it's not as tick as an ECBP, i don't think full proof means uncut and unfiltered, the finish is medium long. I usually don't add water to my bourbons, but I did it for this one, it was not hot at all but the flavors were a little muted, water helped.

Cheers! 

Will.

25 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

How is it?

Just now, Masset1982 said:

Sure, it is a really fun pour, the nose is quite enjoyable, on the mouthfeel, it's not as tick as an ECBP, i don't think full proof means uncut and unfiltered, the finish is medium long. I usually don't add water to my bourbons, but I did it for this one, it was not hot at all but the flavors were a little muted, water helped.

Cheers! 

Will.

14 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Cheers! 

Will.

I expected it to be a bit thinner as it's about 8 years old I think. Hopefully it opens up a bit as you get through it!

Cheers! 

Will.

Sounds interesting I might try a small pour later. From what I read it's non chill filtered.

15 minutes ago, beasled said:

I expected it to be a bit thinner as it's about 8 years old I think. Hopefully it opens up a bit as you get through it!

i don't regret buying it, nothing I don't like about it. Very enjoyable. So you've tasted it ? 

15 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Sounds interesting I might try a small pour later. From what I read it's non chill filtered.

Go for it! Non chill filtered, i believe it, but uncut, no way, seems like watered down a little.

Cheers! 

6 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

i don't regret buying it, nothing I don't like about it. Very enjoyable. So you've tasted it ? 

Not yet. I need to make some room on the shelf first but I will do soon!

Well I opened these up tonight. Might be an off night for me. There good but not that great I want to go back to my awesome barrel of of HMBIB. Right now feel like the 10yr has a bit more flavor.

edf13cec77e5f3b347c92a22e49b43cf.jpg

6b4e12b1b89911f6a816058b3fffe9c9.jpg

Emptied a W-12 and needed something on the bar to take its spot...

Haven't had an ETL open in a while and was able to pick 2 up this fall so we have a winner!

ETL.jpg

Celebrating my son's discharge from the Navy, and my son in law's promotion.

IMG_1700.JPG

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

IMG_1700.JPG

Sounds like two worthy reasons to pop the top on that beauty. Congrats and enjoy!

Decided to let the 18 month old hit the cabinet with me this evening and pick out what dada was drinking next tonight. The little girl grabbed a bottle of KCSB that a fellow SBer picked up for me and it is AWESOME!!!! Looks like daddy is teaching his little girl to know here whiskey without realizing it. Still haven't figured out if this is a good or a bad thing yet. 

IMG_1700.thumb.JPG.7bda3d7ccfe76d9494fcb1745bb2b13a.JPG

Good reasons to pop something like that open.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.