What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

I noticed it around here a week or two ago but I didn't take note of the price it's at now as I didn't need any more.  I think $45 is still high given that FP SiB store picks are $40, but then again if it's disappeared in your neck of the woods, grab it.  The port finish is noticeable but it's not overpowering to me.  It's not an everyday drinker but I love it in the winter by the fire, or on a rainy night, etc.

Here pretty much all the 1792 special release are $50. The only one I got for less than that was High Rye. I think that one was $37ish.

24 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Twenty cases of WSR at $32 ea gone in 1.2 days is INSANE!!!! Even if it is a barrel pick.   I just don't understand anymore.

Seriously. People actually seeking out today's WSR is insane to me.

2 hours ago, dcbt said:

I noticed it around here a week or two ago but I didn't take note of the price it's at now as I didn't need any more.  I think $45 is still high given that FP SiB store picks are $40, but then again if it's disappeared in your neck of the woods, grab it.  The port finish is noticeable but it's not overpowering to me.  It's not an everyday drinker but I love it in the winter by the fire, or on a rainy night, etc.

Everything I've read echoes your sentiments - the Port being light and it being a nice drinker. 

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Only you can really say. Prices vary greatly from area to area. If you want it and the price is $20 under the usual local price it seems reasonable to go for it.

Pretty much the way I look at it. I have a decent grasp over prices and availability in my small little corner of our country, and $45 has been the best I have seen it at. Having been all over the states it generally seems to me living in Southern California is one of the more difficult places to be a bourbon drinker. 

Forged Oak, Gifted Horse & Rhetoric, all at pretty good prices all things considered, I can't imagine a world in which I buy any of these.

Forged Oak, Gifted Horse & Rhetoric, all at pretty good prices all things considered, I can't imagine a world in which I buy any of these.

For the record gifted horse is better than advertised imho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

For the record gifted horse is better than advertised imho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

With the exception of Dickel Diageo does not get my money

36 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I saw all of those plus Barterhouse a couple weeks ago. I ended up with a FO that I've yet to try ($65) and went back the next week for a Barterhouse (which I've had before and really liked it) for $75. I passed on the Rhetoric ($103) and the GH ($50). I've heard way too many bad reviews on the GH and the Rhetoric was out of the budget. I know a lot of people's general feeling about Orphan Barrel but $65 and $75 for 15 and 20 year old bourbon doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I saw all of those plus Barterhouse a couple weeks ago. I ended up with a FO that I've yet to try ($65) and went back the next week for a Barterhouse (which I've had before and really liked it) for $75. I passed on the Rhetoric ($103) and the GH ($50). I've heard way too many bad reviews on the GH and the Rhetoric was out of the budget. I know a lot of people's general feeling about Orphan Barrel but $65 and $75 for 15 and 20 year old bourbon doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

I find myself happier in the 7-10yr range, but if that's the flavor profile that hits your tasters sweet spot than yeah those prices are pretty fair this day in age.

4 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Everything I've read echoes your sentiments - the Port being light and it being a nice drinker. 

Pretty much the way I look at it. I have a decent grasp over prices and availability in my small little corner of our country, and $45 has been the best I have seen it at. Having been all over the states it generally seems to me living in Southern California is one of the more difficult places to be a bourbon drinker. 

That it is, when I moved to GA. From L.A. I was stunned by the breadth and depth of the boubon selection and the prices, and the cost of living, change of seasons... Though I do miss Tommys ( the shack) and 10 am kickoff during football season and Vegas 3hrs by car but i can get to KY  in 6 so I'm good. 

: ).

On topic, a bunch of WSR was passed on. I wouldn't pay the 10.00 it used to go for ( except for that first and only bottle). Also passed everthing isle in my fruitless quest for some of the more esoteric and 101 proofers. Upcoming travel may fix that.

Edited by kcgumbohead

6 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

That it is, when I moved to GA. From L.A. I was stunned by the breadth and depth of the boubon selection and the prices, and the cost of living, change of seasons... Though I do miss Tommys ( the shack) and 10 am kickoff during football season and Vegas 3hrs by car but i can get to KY  in 6 so I'm good. 

: ).

:lol: 10AM kickoffs are awesome. You can roll out of bed in the morning on a Sunday and start the festivities shortly there after and go all day. 

I was in Kentucky a few years back and I was pretty jealous at all the great stuff that was within arms length at retail.  

Seriously. People actually seeking out today's WSR is insane to me.

I think it's all relative from what I understand one of the main traditional markets for Weller was Texas, which makes it available here even today with its new found popularity.

It's like when I go to France I can find wines from regions that here sell for half or 1/4 the price I find here when I can actually find it here in houston.

12 hours ago, Government Beard said:

:lol: 10AM kickoffs are awesome. You can roll out of bed in the morning on a Sunday and start the festivities shortly there after and go all day. 

"You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!"   :rolleyes:

One of my favorie quotes . . . . . . 

A bottle of ECBP.  I just couldn't pull the trigger at $109.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:19 PM, FacePlant said:

IMG_0714.thumb.JPG.49a38a20d94d2e6002feaa4ab2fb70ea.JPG

Bunker loaded with SP handles. Easy pick here in Memphis.

Not to rub it in or anything but the Costco in DC has this for $33 (1.75L).  Love that store. 

I passed on a 1.75 of Austin Nichols wild turkey 101. It was the only one they had sitting on the shelf with the other wild turkey. If it's still there on Thursday I'll be purchasing it. 

Passed on Blanton's and Stagg Jr. @$60 and ETL at $70. I was contemplating one of the first two until the clerk refused to get off the phone. He was loudly discussing something about a car...on speakerphone...and wouldn't talk to us. We left empty handed. This is the same store i complained about on here a few months ago that has the case full of unobtanium (W12, WLW, THH, PVW23) that they refuse to sell and where I was treated pretty rudely when I asked about it last time (by the same guy I think). I thought I'd give them another chance. That was the last one.

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Passed on Blanton's and Stagg Jr. @$60 and ETL at $70. I was contemplating one of the first two until the clerk refused to get off the phone. He was loudly discussing something about a car...on speakerphone...and wouldn't talk to us. We left empty handed. This is the same store i complained about on here a few months ago that has the case full of unobtanium (W12, WLW, THH, PVW23) that they refuse to sell and where I was treated pretty rudely when I asked about it last time (by the same guy I think). I thought I'd give them another chance. That was the last one.

I'm amazed how many times I find myself in a situation (not just booze) where i'm thinking, "I'm TRYING to give you business but you don't seem to want it."

Edited by dcbt

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Good for you!     I'd visit this store NEVER, even it was directly across my street.    THis is unacceptable customer service, not to mention a not-insignificant upcharge from retail (at least in my area).

Got an email that my favorite LS was getting in some EC18 and asked if I'd like a bottle... had to pass since I have one unopened on the shelf... I think it is probably worth the money to have one on hand, but probably not something I need to keep two of... 

13 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Got an email that my favorite LS was getting in some EC18 and asked if I'd like a bottle... had to pass since I have one unopened on the shelf... I think it is probably worth the money to have one on hand, but probably not something I need to keep two of... 

WHAT?!?!?!?   If it's something you like (especially something not often encountered 'in the wild'), then two is the minimum number to have on the shelf.... ain't it?      :D HaaaHa!

15 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

WHAT?!?!?!?   If it's something you like (especially something not often encountered 'in the wild'), then two is the minimum number to have on the shelf.... ain't it?      :D HaaaHa!

I usually go with three... but this I haven't tried yet so I'm stuck at one. If I don't like it at least TWICE as much as I like ECBP then I'll be one and done!

I've had it for like 6 months now, but have yet to open it. I counted last weekend and I have WAAAAYYY too many open bottles. 42 or some shit... I gotta get to drinking!

My son in law is helping... I told him this weekend that anything open is fair game. He went for my older Booker's (C07-B-7) and the W12... Couldn't get him to go for that fancy solid brass eagle head... :P

Edited by JTaylor

You doing good JT. I've never found an EC18 that matched ECBP. This is my own personal opinion though. EC18 can vary by barrel & I haven't tried all the ECBP's. For some reason the boom let us have ECBP for a long time!

4 hours ago, JTaylor said:

I usually go with three... but this I haven't tried yet so I'm stuck at one. If I don't like it at least TWICE as much as I like ECBP then I'll be one and done!

I've had it for like 6 months now, but have yet to open it. I counted last weekend and I have WAAAAYYY too many open bottles. 42 or some shit... I gotta get to drinking!

My son in law is helping... I told him this weekend that anything open is fair game. He went for my older Booker's (C07-B-7) and the W12... Couldn't get him to go for that fancy solid brass eagle head... :P

I guess, if you have THAT MANY open Bourbons.... 

That actually is quite a few, though I'm sure some on this board have many more open.     I think I have about that many myself, though I refuse to count since I may come up with a number even larger than that!  

I too, need to get to drinking up some of the open ones. 

I guess also, that if your choice (though I haven't a clue why you'd wanna make a choice of that sort) is between ECBP and EC18, I'd probably go with the BP, as well. 

I on the other hand, I refuse to choose!    Hey, that rhymes!   I don't mind having multiples of BOTH.     I don't have that many 18's any more though, since they have become so hard to come by and soooo expensive compared to the price I was accustomed to paying only a few years ago: $40 or so.     I think I have only one of the 'cheap ones' left in the bunker, plus an open one, and one of the newer (much more expensive) ones.

Well, in any case these are not awful problems for either of us to have.     I mean the necessity of drinking up some Bourbon we thought enough of to buy and open?   Not such a tough assignment.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.