What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/12/2017 at 0:51 PM, Spade said:

Passed on an ECBP at $70. That's probably the going rate for that now I suppose. I did however grab a 1.75 EC12 for $50. 

I won't pass on ECBP a $70.  I'd buy two.

ORVW for $300 and OC NAS for $35 because it's hard to get... meanwhile I've seen cases stacked out at multiple stores...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went by Total Wine yesterday for...uh...wine and I also planned on grabbing a WT Decades because my local didn't get many and my back up was charging $170 which was a bit more than TW. While I'm checking out the guy ringing me up who doesn't look like he shaves yet asked if I was interested in any behind the counter bourbons? I'm curious because with all their glass cases in the whiskey aisles I thought everything was out. So I say "sure, whatcha got?" He goes and looks for a couple of minutes and then comes back with WSR and Ancient Age Ten Star. I kindly decline and finish my purchases.

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

I went by Total Wine yesterday for...uh...wine and I also planned on grabbing a WT Decades because my local didn't get many and my back up was charging $170 which was a bit more than TW. While I'm checking out the guy ringing me up who doesn't look like he shaves yet asked if I was interested in any behind the counter bourbons? I'm curious because with all their glass cases in the whiskey aisles I thought everything was out. So I say "sure, whatcha got?" He goes and looks for a couple of minutes and then comes back with WSR and Ancient Age Ten Star. I kindly decline and finish my purchases.

DUDE!!  Passed on WSR?!?!  That could fetch a car payment in the right circles!  (I'm totally baffled by the AA10* though?)

14 minutes ago, GaryT said:

DUDE!!  Passed on WSR?!?!  That could fetch a car payment in the right circles!  

WSR is $25.99 around here, at least when it shows up. :huh:

Joe

WSR is generally $20-$25 in Western Tennessee and is almost always available. OWA is generally $25-$30, and shows up sporadically throughout the year and usually lasts a few days to a few weeks depending on the store and its clientele. I pass on WSR unless it's a store pick single barrel. I used to pick up a few bottles of OWA whenever I saw it at around $25 or less, but I have enough bunkered now that I will probably only pick up single barrel store picks that are reasonably priced.

On 4/15/2017 at 8:23 PM, Special Reserve said:

I won't pass on ECBP a $70.  I'd buy two.

I think $70 is probably a fair price given the quality of ECBP. I have one in the bunker and one open right now, which made it easier to pass on. And, I've recently returned to old favorites, which means I've been passing on more premium stuff pretty regularly. 

Bond & Lillard @ $49.99/350ml and Old Ripy @ $43.99/350ml.  Give me WTRB at half the price, every time.  Does Cointreau think they're Beam Suntory or something????   :angry:

6815.jpeg

Edited by GeeTen
Add photo

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Bond & Lillard @ $49.99/350ml and Old Ripy @ $43.99/350ml.  Give me WTRB at half the price, every time.  Does Cointreau think they're Beam Suntory or something????   :angry:

6815.jpeg

Those are actually pretty good prices....relatively. Not that I am a buyer of these at any price since WT is not my thing, but in Virginia each of these are $59.99 and you have to special order them and wait 2-3 weeks before they arrive.

So it could be worse, but yes, I agree, way overpriced.

That cinnamon whisky at 6.99 on the otherhand..... how could you go wrong there? :)

I passed on ER10 ($29) and Blanton's ($57). Pricing was fine, I'm just good on both. Starting to see "allocated" stuff more often these days. Maybe this belongs in the "boom" thread.  Also, passed on a WR Brandy Finish for $84.

I passed on ER10 ($29) and Blanton's ($57). Pricing was fine, I'm just good on both. Starting to see "allocated" stuff more often these days. Maybe this belongs in the "boom" thread.  Also, passed on a WR Brandy Finish for $84.

...and the canaries start to sing. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I'll be passing on a bottle of EC 18.  Was in a store today and the owner said he was supposed to be getting a bottle later this week and asked if I wanted him to hold it for me.  I asked how much, the answer, $250.  While I would love to have a bottle I'm not sure I can pull the trigger at that price.

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I think I'll be passing on a bottle of EC 18.  Was in a store today and the owner said he was supposed to be getting a bottle later this week and asked if I wanted him to hold it for me.  I asked how much, the answer, $250.  While I would love to have a bottle I'm not sure I can pull the trigger at that price.

It's not "that" good. 

9 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Yeah, that's like double MSRP... Nice of him to ask if you wanted it held, but not so nice on the price gouging...

7 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Yeah, that's like double MSRP... Nice of him to ask if you wanted it held, but not so nice on the price gouging...

I was kind of surprised when he said $250.  He is one of the places who sold me a bottle of OWA at a really good price and they have a PS FR Single Barrel at $60, which is a better price than anyone else in town.  That's why his $250 quote was so surprising.

I was kind of surprised when he said $250.  He is one of the places who sold me a bottle of OWA at a really good price and they have a PS FR Single Barrel at $60, which is a better price than anyone else in town.  That's why his $250 quote was so surprising.

Would you be interested at MSRP? If so maybe you should just mention that you thought it was $125 and you'd be interested at that price.

Passed on Weller Special Reserve for $79.99.

Price wasn't on the shelf, so when I asked, I must have had a seriously dumbfounded look on my face with the answer.

Price wasn't on the shelf, so when I asked, I must have had a seriously dumbfounded look on my face with the answer.

Did the bottle like this?

e85ad0567789a9211daa13c8fa655b8b.jpg

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
That is absolute insanity. WSR is hardly worth $20-$25 to me except for the occasional store picks. It's readily available in my area and is generally priced anywhere from $19 to $25. The store picks are sometimes a bit more.

Did the bottle like this?

e85ad0567789a9211daa13c8fa655b8b.jpg

That probably would be worth $79...or more. [emoji106]

That probably would be worth $79...or more. [emoji106]

Just followed the link for that image 1943 bottle there asking $20,000. Nuts!

Now $79 and it would be in the other thread.

https://www.flaskfinewines.com/spirits/Stitzel-Weller-W.L.-Weller-Special-Reserve-7-Year-Old-100-Proof-Bourbon-Bottled-1943-w047288230

WSR was on the shelf next to the OWA I bought. It was priced at $22.99 which is still more than I think it's worth. 

WSR was on the shelf next to the OWA I bought. It was priced at $22.99 which is still more than I think it's worth. 

Bought my last WSR handle for $26 which I think is too much for what it is.

Was forced to pass on the EHT 4G because it came into the Binny's stores today, but all bottles were reserved for somebody else. So they said "you cant have it".

12 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Was forced to pass on the EHT 4G because it came into the Binny's stores today, but all bottles were reserved for somebody else. So they said "you cant have it".

It's a futile endeavor to even think about prying a LE away from Binny's and the people (employees) on their secret lists 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.