What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, Niner Outlaw said:

Passed on the mew Basil Hayden Rye. it was $51. 

My instinct would be to pass on it too though I also hadn't realized until I read a couple recent press things that this was 11 year old rye, even more interesting that it's 4 years in standard barrels and then 7 in quarter casks, part of me wonders what that kind of aging would lend to the juice flavor wise.

Passed on an ECBP at $70. That's probably the going rate for that now I suppose. I did however grab a 1.75 EC12 for $50. 

Edited by Spade
typo

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

Found an online calculator for WA tax.  WOW!

Washington State
Liquor Tax Calculator

Cost Breakdown:
List Price $49.99
20.5% Tax $10.25
$3.7708/Liter Tax $2.83
Total Cost At Checkout $63.07

Looks like our Australian tax on all bourbon.  Currently (just in time for the Easter long weekend) Jim Beam White is sitting at its full retail price of $38. When it's on special it sits at around $34-$35, but this is for a 700ml 37.5% version.

1 hour ago, camduncan said:

Looks like our Australian tax on all bourbon.  Currently (just in time for the Easter long weekend) Jim Beam White is sitting at its full retail price of $38. When it's on special it sits at around $34-$35, but this is for a 700ml 37.5% version.

Oh, Cam.  I feel for you.  Montgomery County MD stores have 80 proof JBW 750s on sale for US$13.30, 1.75L at $26 plus 6% sales tax (which is NOT just a tax on alcohol). 

I'm sure Australia is a lovely place but that's almost enough for a bourbon lover to expatriate.

Several today

Dry fly Wheat tasted it but it's young and sweet and not much else

Had an owner try to push Bib & Tucker and Woodford on me till I showed home some pictures then he backed off

CEHTSB, SmB, BP decent prices but I'm stocked

A bunch of 7yr age stated Beam White

Several others I can't recall now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Passed on BMH bourbon. I see some people go crazy over this stuff.

20170411_174018-756x1008.jpg

Actually I think this is the rye?

Passed on the mew Basil Hayden Rye. it was $51. 

Tried it last week, I'd pass on it at half the price. Under proofed and uninspiring.

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

Actually I think this is the rye?

Correct. The green label is the rye and the purple label is the bourbon.

10 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Correct. The green label is the rye and the purple label is the bourbon.

If it is the Oregon based stuff it is pretty bad no matter what color the label is. :wacko:

But if it distracts the bourbon glitterati away from solid well priced whiskey then I hope they made a lot of it!

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If it is the Oregon based stuff it is pretty bad no matter what color the label is. :wacko:

But if it distracts the bourbon glitterati away from solid well priced whiskey then I hope they made a lot of it!

I found the bourbon to be very corn forward and one dimensional. I certainly have no interest in getting a bottle. It also doesn't make me interested in trying the rest of the bourbon from Stein Distillery. 

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Would someone please pay $500 for a bottle of this on Craig's List so that the vultures catch the scent of dead meat!!

Passed on CEHT several iterations as I'm stocked. Barrel Bourbon several batches as I just don't like it

6096a4720ff06bea5be9650d3badc79a.jpg

Passed on RY10SB because of price but it's the first I saw in two dozen stores in Eastern TN

This was in Chattanooga so if any SBrs there are interested PM me

Also North of town on I-24 I passed on two ECBP batch A117 at $75 each

Passed on a 2017 batch of Michter's 10. Have any of you tried the new 2017 batch? I didn't think the 2015/2016 bottles were great so I'm passing for a while until I hear something better about the current offering.

On April 12, 2017 at 9:06 PM, TexanBrad said:

Tried it last week, I'd pass on it at half the price. Under proofed and uninspiring.

Thanks for the heads up. I was reluctant to pass on it, but sounds like I made the right choice,

I passed on RY10 at $52 after coupon because I didn't enjoy my first bottle and I wasn't willing to take the chance on another. MD peeps, PO had 5 bottles on the shelf this afternoon if you want to run up there. 

Stopped by Liquor Barn after playing golf and they were doing tastings of Rabbit Hole, bourbon, rye and sherry cask finish.  The bourbon wasn't bad, the rye didn't seem to be that high of a proof, pretty dry finish.  Sherry cask finish wasn't for me, too much of the sherry flavor and I don't like sherry.  The bourbon at $49.99 wasn't worth pulling the trigger on.

Passed on this, or should say I saw this not really in the market for $175 Canadian whiskey.

02df5037f2b47746a6cd3d64c8de660c.jpg

6096a4720ff06bea5be9650d3badc79a.jpg

Passed on RY10SB because of price but it's the first I saw in two dozen stores in Eastern TN

This was in Chattanooga so if any SBrs there are interested PM me

Also North of town on I-24 I passed on two ECBP batch A117 at $75 each

That is steep, but if I found it at that price I might still take one home. It's excellent stuff!

Just stopped in at a store that had 3 ETL for $250.00 each and a BTAC Handy Saz for $500.00. I asked the clerk if he was proud of those and with the biggest smile he had he told me YES!!

23 hours ago, Niner Outlaw said:

Thanks for the heads up. I was reluctant to pass on it, but sounds like I made the right choice,

The decision is ultimately yours obviously, but if you're basing it on opinions here, I would submit mine for your consideration.  I am truly enjoying the BH Rye.  Very well done whiskey, IMO.  I enjoy how it starts slow, but continues to hit additional gears throughout.  And, $50ish ain't a bad price these days.  Specifically referencing   TB's under proofed comment, I feel just the opposite.  Indeed, it is 80 proof.  But, it's profile punches above that to my tastes.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

The decision is ultimately yours obviously, but if you're basing it on opinions here, I would submit mine for your consideration.  I am truly enjoying the BH Rye.  Very well done whiskey, IMO.  I enjoy how it starts slow, but continues to hit additional gears throughout.  And, $50ish ain't a bad price these days.  Specifically referencing   TB's under proofed comment, I feel just the opposite.  Indeed, it is 80 proof.  But, it's profile punches above that to my tastes.  

Thanks, Joe.  For Summer drinking, I don't mind going down proof, and I've usually skipped ryes altogether due to the pepper and spice.  The Pikesville 80 proof is $13 but just gets lost now that I've tasted its bigger brother (@ $50+ usually).

4 hours ago, mfly86 said:

Just stopped in at a store that had 3 ETL for $250.00 each and a BTAC Handy Saz for $500.00. I asked the clerk if he was proud of those and with the biggest smile he had he told me YES!!

And I thought they were crazy when I went in a store last weekend and they had ETL for $100.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.