What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

29 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

Interesting turn of events here.    I had to think about it for a day or so, but decided I wanted to take a chance at buying this.  Went back in Saturday to talk to the owner.  Now that I am standing in front of him with intent and means to purchase, he says "you misunderstood me, add a zero" wait, what?   25K you are asking?  he says yes.  Was very arrogant about it. I took a few runs at it and he wouldnt budge I told him he was crazy and left.   

I'm pretty sure BT wouldn't be too happy about the antics of this store owner.   Its in Ann Arbor, MI.  

And I thought $10k was insane..not to mention the $2500 you thought it was. Let's see...6 months of house payment or a bottle of booze?!

Went to a liquor store I had never been to in an adjoining town and saw they had a 1.75 liter of Weller 12 for the low, low price of $199.  I had to pass because I had just purchased a few bottles at retail on Friday.  

I really like Weller 12, but I would never pay even 1/4 of that for a bottle.  Blows my mind what some liquor stores do with pricing.

Went to a liquor store I had never been to in an adjoining town and saw they had a 1.75 liter of Weller 12 for the low, low price of $199.  I had to pass because I had just purchased a few bottles at retail on Friday.  

I really like Weller 12, but I would never pay even 1/4 of that for a bottle.  Blows my mind what some liquor stores do with pricing.

You wouldn't pay $50 for a handle? I did pay that much actually $56 with tax for my 1.75L. Agree wouldn't pay $50 for a 750ML.

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

You wouldn't pay $50 for a handle? I did pay that much actually $56 with tax for my 1.75L. Agree wouldn't pay $50 for a 750ML.

ok, you got me.  I would definitely pay $50 and some change for a handle.  The 1 liter and the 750 mL I bought came out to around $57 total, but $199 is just crazy.

Edited by NDN98

On 6/19/2017 at 9:58 AM, JT3NSB said:

Interesting turn of events here.    I had to think about it for a day or so, but decided I wanted to take a chance at buying this.  Went back in Saturday to talk to the owner.  Now that I am standing in front of him with intent and means to purchase, he says "you misunderstood me, add a zero" wait, what?   25K you are asking?  he says yes.  Was very arrogant about it. I took a few runs at it and he wouldnt budge I told him he was crazy and left.   

I'm pretty sure BT wouldn't be too happy about the antics of this store owner.   Its in Ann Arbor, MI.  

That's obnoxious.

Btw,

It's worth way more.....probably $50k.

:P

1 hour ago, NDN98 said:

ok, you got me.  I would definitely pay $50 and some change for a handle.  The 1 liter and the 750 mL I bought came out to around $57 total, but $199 is just crazy.

It's crazy ... if you have access to it. If you live in a part of the country that doesn't have ready access to it, and you read daily on here that it's a very good pour (if a value pour) you'd be willing to pay more than retail. For a few years, my only chance to drink it was in a bar, at $10 per ounce plus tax and tip, so closer to $13 or $14 an ounce. At 25+ ounces in a 750 @$13 an ounce, it would cost you $325 for a bottle. Now, bar pours to a bottle on your shelf at home is not apples to apples, but if you like the whiskey, you can talk yourself into secondary market prices for a bottle. I looked for 5 years before finding a bottle on a shelf. No surprise but it's fucking scarce.  I wouldn't buy a case, but I did buy a bottle for $90. Is it the best $90 whiskey on my shelf? No. Am I glad I bought it, do I enjoy drinking it and was it a good value for me?  Yes. Easy yes. Judge away. 

It's crazy ... if you have access to it. If you live in a part of the country that doesn't have ready access to it, and you read daily on here that it's a very good pour (if a value pour) you'd be willing to pay more than retail. For a few years, my only chance to drink it was in a bar, at $10 per ounce plus tax and tip, so closer to $13 or $14 an ounce. At 25+ ounces in a 750 @$13 an ounce, it would cost you $325 for a bottle. Now, bar pours to a bottle on your shelf at home is not apples to apples, but if you like the whiskey, you can talk yourself into secondary market prices for a bottle. I looked for 5 years before finding a bottle on a shelf. No surprise but it's fucking scarce.  I wouldn't buy a case, but I did buy a bottle for $90. Is it the best $90 whiskey on my shelf? No. Am I glad I bought it, do I enjoy drinking it and was it a good value for me?  Yes. Easy yes. Judge away. 

Completely understand your situation but a store charging $200 when other stores in the area had it for 1/4th the price is crazy.

Must be scarce in California here is an example of it for $180 and I bet in a couple of weeks it's gone.

https://thirdbasemarketandspirits.com/collections/american/products/w-l-weller-12-year

Passed on WT101 for $18.97. A good price around here but it's a new (to me) design bottle and it no longer mentioned being a blend of 6, 8, and 12 yr barrels. Does this mean it's now using 5yr or less barrels?  

I passed on an Elijah Craig BP A117 the other day.  It was $75.00, but I have an open bottle at home and didn't feel the need to spend the money due to having several unopened bottles of other stuff I need to get to first.

Was in Vegas this past weekend and stopped in a Lee's Liquors. While I was impressed with the selection and most of the prices were right on, there were a few outliers that were an easy pass, all 750ml bottles:

ETL  $150

Blantons   $200

ECBP   $200

Weller 12  $100

Passed on WT diamond($125), KC 2001 ($150) and CHET 4 grain and barrel proof too. 

Edited by miller542

Passed on a RR Rye today, but only because I had already picked up a bottle of OGD 114, RR Single Barrel PS, WTRB BP 116.8 & 1792 FP PS:)

I've repeatedly passed with really no interest at all in KC 25th and 2001 both in the $150 range. Am I missing something? 

2 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

I've repeatedly passed with really no interest at all in KC 25th and 2001 both in the $150 range. Am I missing something? 

Maybe.  I haven't tasted either of those but the KC Single Barrel bottles for $45 are awesome.  I just can't really see that the 2001 and the 25th would be three times better, just because they are 3 times the price.

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Bourbon distribution is fascinating to me.  Around here, Weller 12 can be found if you hit stores at the right time and ask for it(it's never on the shelf), but other bourbons, like Stagg Jr., I have looked extensively for and never seen in my area except at lotteries.  I finally found one on a shelf while visiting friends in the Houston area last month.  

4 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

I have not yet tried the KC 25th so can't offer any (educated) opinion! :D

But I have three different batches (1, 2 and 3. 3 was the best to me.) of the KC 2001 and feel confident in saying your money is better spent on 3+ bottles of a good well aged KC barrel pick if you have access to one. And for that reason I am not seeking out the KC 25th despite early reviews sounding positive. I have access to a lot of excellent KCSB store picks that are 12yo-13yo and just can't justify the high price for this new release.

I will however gladly try a pour if offered! 

2 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Passed on WT101 for $18.97. A good price around here but it's a new (to me) design bottle and it no longer mentioned being a blend of 6, 8, and 12 yr barrels. Does this mean it's now using 5yr or less barrels?  

6, 8, and 12 is Rare Breed. I don't think WT101 has ever been touted as a blend of those ages. (I could be wrong).

I've been told in the past it's a blend of 6 to 8-9yr old whiskey. (Memory foggy on that).

I did hear Eddie say recently that they don't use any whiskey less than 6 yrs old in any of their products.

Would be surprised if the 101 rye was all 6+yo but maybe so. Very different barrel selections between that and the Russells Reserve rye but that is certainly possible. Doubt it is much older than that. Baby Saz is presumably still all 6yo (though like WT not stated as so on bottle) so not impossible I guess. You would think they might want to make note of that if so. Not saying so does give them some "flexibility" of course!

Local store had 750ml of Old Weller Antique for $299.99 and Special Reserve for $199.99. Elected not to buy.

10 minutes ago, RacePrecision said:

Local store had 750ml of Old Weller Antique for $299.99 and Special Reserve for $199.99. Elected not to buy.

HOLY CRAP!

Passed on KC 25th at Costco for $119. A good price, but I haven't read anything about it that piques my interest. Opted for the OF 1920 instead at $48. That one sounds intriguing. 

Edited by mosugoji64

32 minutes ago, mosugoji64 said:

Passed on KC 25th at Costco for $119. A good price, but I haven't read anything about it that piques my interest. Opted for the OF 1920 instead at $48. That one sounds intriguing. 

I'd like to here your thoughts on the OF 1920 Brian. I got one courtesy of Vosgar, and I like it it. He told me that after trying it neat, I might want to add a little water. He was correct. Neat it's a tad bit hot, but after adding a little water, it's pretty darned good IMHO. :P

Cheers! Joe

1 hour ago, mosugoji64 said:

Opted for the OF 1920 instead at $48. That one sounds intriguing. 

That's a great price on 1920.

Delicious juice as well.

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Would be surprised if the 101 rye was all 6+yo but maybe so. Very different barrel selections between that and the Russells Reserve rye but that is certainly possible. Doubt it is much older than that. Baby Saz is presumably still all 6yo (though like WT not stated as so on bottle) so not impossible I guess. You would think they might want to make note of that if so. Not saying so does give them some "flexibility" of course!

Fair point and I should clarify that we were talking about bourbon. Jimmy supposedly won't let anything out under 6 years old but he also doesn't like rye so the rules might be different for that;)

On 6/20/2017 at 4:08 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I'd like to here your thoughts on the OF 1920 Brian. I got one courtesy of Vosgar, and I like it it. He told me that after trying it neat, I might want to add a little water. He was correct. Neat it's a tad bit hot, but after adding a little water, it's pretty darned good IMHO. :P

Cheers! Joe

23 hours ago, 0895 said:

That's a great price on 1920.

Delicious juice as well.

Haven't opened it yet, but since we share a love of Bonded OF, Joe, I'm sure I'll like it! I'll post some thoughts when I get around to giving it a whirl.

Took the new wife to the bar at the Watergate Hotel after seeing a play at the Kennedy Center.  I heard that they had a decent selection.  I passed on the van Winkle 23 at $500 per *drink* and got us a couple of glasses of inexpensive prosecco instead.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.