What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

55 minutes ago, PaulO said:

With different brands I like stopping distribution in my state, or missing for whatever reason; I decided to expand my horizons.  I've discovered that I quite enjoy the three Four Roses regular brands.  I'm not even worried about the 10 recipes single barrels or LEs.  Am I still in the cult?

Yes.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Your taste buds are wired very differently from mine. Kentucky Vintage, Pure Kentucky, and various other KBD brands taste like wet cardboard to me. I had a good Johnny Drum once. But the next tasted like wet cardboard. I've given up on them.

Fair enough. I rather like the KBD stuff, and wonder if Willet will start producing all these themselves? This one tastes very woody to me, with a bit of chocolate on the end. I haven't been on here long, but also really like the Old Bardstown products, for the price, but some don't like those either. But as you say flahute, taste buds can be very different, and I can respect yours.

47 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

Fair enough. I rather like the KBD stuff, and wonder if Willet will start producing all these themselves? This one tastes very woody to me, with a bit of chocolate on the end. I haven't been on here long, but also really like the Old Bardstown products, for the price, but some don't like those either. But as you say flahute, taste buds can be very different, and I can respect yours.

The newest Old Bardstown distillate is Willett distilled. The bonded isn't bad but still needs more age. They'll eventually get to a spot where they're distilling all of their products.

5 hours ago, Charlutz said:

These were 1/2 oz. to 3/4 oz. pours and I was walking between my buddy's house and mine in case anyone was worried. 

:)

Why, who would think such a thing? :lol:

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

We had a team building event at a place called McMasty's a Icehouse not far from work. Me and the techs ended up killing a bottle OGD114. I guess we did good.

a9fc5071dd386bc4304a3ca9cca12200.jpg

And what do I notice but the ashtray.  Thought those went out last century. :lol:

And what do I notice but the ashtray.  Thought those went out last century. :lol:

Yeah in Texas certain counties allow smoking in bars, however towns in those counties usually outlaw it. This particular high class establishment is in an unincorporated area of a county that allows smoking.

I'm starting the afternoon off with some EHT BP (the new batch 128.1p). It's better then the last batch, to me.  IMG_1916.thumb.JPG.152dad0d6ba29127e0378b667745d0eb.JPG

Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain with a mint-imbedded ice sphere and some ginger ale.  Just the perfect match with Amoxicillin - slept like a baby last night after my Blanton's vatting with the stuff (heh, heh).   :D

eba6f78183433d96980bd45ec498f756.jpg

A 1792 FP Store Pick from B&B Package in Kingsport TN with a splash of Old Limestone water likely to be followed by a cigar on the back porch shortly.

This after a dinner consisting of a homemade cheeseburger from a cast iron skillet with homegrown Kentucky tomatoes grown by my 93 yr old father.

And, I met another weight loss milestone by falling below 230lbs this week.

Pardon the boxes as a setting for the picture but the move is ongoing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally made it to my couch and I'm having a pour of EW12. It is probably overpriced, but I enjoy it every time I have it

Just got back from happy hour at one of the locals. Some refrigerated HH bonded  is in order.

There was a time when I raced to the store if I heard they had Stagg Jr. and hid it when novice drinkers were in my house. I'm fortunate that it's plenty available in MD at $50-60 and the consistency of batches 3 and later has made it a bourbon I recommend to everyone. It's taken the place of Booker's as a good value, commonly available barrel proofer with a consistent taste profile at a reasonable price. No longer for special occasions. I drink it just cuz. Good job BT

IMG_3001.JPG

Edited by Charlutz

Judging from your picture, I'd say you're a big fan of BT regardless of Stagg Jr. :)

Really enjoying another newly opened bottle of EC 12 yr.  I consider the 12 yr to be one of the last truly great inexpensive and widely available bourbons. And I find it to be more consistently high quality than HMcK10 (still love HMcK10 though).  I think as time passes the EC12 will be missed more and more and might be thought of much the same way we think of old WT age stated products.  However as long as age stated BP is available that should help ease our loss!

4 hours ago, Three quarks said:

Weller 107!! This "new" bottle (screw cap) is phenomenal. I could tell right when I opened it, that it would be great. One of the best I have had, and I have some old bottles.  Really, really good! Anyone else notice this with the new bottles?

Is it the whiskey that tastes better or is it the bottle?

6 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I'm starting the afternoon off with some EHT BP (the new batch 128.1p). It's better then the last batch, to me.  IMG_1916.thumb.JPG.152dad0d6ba29127e0378b667745d0eb.JPG

I just opened my first EHTBP and was very impressed.  Had a very floral thing going on that I liked. Same batch. BTW... What kind of fish is that in the pic?

Edited by Bbstout

Drank a couple samples I got over past year or so...2011 GTS and a WT 9yr at 60.7%...both amazing. 

In Denver for a good buddy's bachelor party this weekend. We are at a bar called Union Lodge and I'm having their KCSB PS. It's decent, but much more peanut-forward than the KCSB I've been drinking at homeb0555f0196afb0dfdfc98b4c4b364a13.jpg

10 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I just opened my first EHTBP and was very impressed.  Had a very floral thing going on that I liked. Same batch. BTW... What kind of fish is that in the pic?

It's a Black Drum that I cought in Big Lake (not all that good to eat, I let him go). Very good salt water fishing down here. 

14 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Judging from your picture, I'd say you're a big fan of BT regardless of Stagg Jr. :)

True! I did intentionally take that picture with the BT grouping in the background of my loosely organized three shelf bourbon bar. I don't discriminate and the other distilleries have their own real estate. :)

There was a time when I raced to the store if I heard they had Stagg Jr. and hid it when novice drinkers were in my house. I'm fortunate that it's plenty available in MD at $50-60 and the consistency of batches 3 and later has made it a bourbon I recommend to everyone. It's taken the place of Booker's as a good value, commonly available barrel proofer with a consistent taste profile at a reasonable price. No longer for special occasions. I drink it just cuz. Good job BT

IMG_3001.thumb.JPG.61699f1928fd33b5a6bf8d8f6ed45da5.JPG

Does it have the viscosity of what Bookers is known for ?

1 hour ago, BigPapa said:

Does it have the viscosity of what Bookers is known for ?

Is it thick? Yes. Very rich and packs a punch. May need some water or a cube if you don't like barrel proof neat. If you're asking about the viscosity, I'm assuming you haven't had it. Every bourbon drinker should try it. Most like it, but even if you don't, you should find out. The price, proof and quality make it a good value that I feel very comfortable recommending. 

Is it thick? Yes. Very rich and packs a punch. May need some water or a cube if you don't like barrel proof neat. If you're asking about the viscosity, I'm assuming you haven't had it. Every bourbon drinker should try it. Most like it, but even if you don't, you should find out. The price, proof and quality make it a good value that I feel very comfortable recommending. 

Thanks.
There's a bottle of the 130 proof on the shelf at a store near me. I don't know which batch that is but I guess I will give it a try.
I love the booker's and knob Creek 120 SB.

20 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

There's a bottle of the 130 proof on the shelf at a store near me. I don't know which batch that is but I guess I will give it a try.
I love the booker's and knob Creek 120 SB.

The 130 proof Stagg Jr. is Batch #7.  I have a bottle of this, and like it a lot.

If you like Booker's and KCSB, I think there's a good chance that you will like this, too.

Stagg JR has the viscosity, richness and intensity that you would expect from something like Bookers, KCSB, ECBP etc, but in my opinion tastes noticeably better than those! I love Buffalo Trace products though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.