What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

I might read it wrong but wasn't that 21yr bottled in 2006? If so wouldn't there be a good chance this was SW?

I'm pretty sure all the Willett wheaters are Bernheim. 

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

I have a strict 2 drink rule over the course of a 4 hour gig.

I have less restraint - but I do mitigate with St Louis' own Bud Light.  I consider lite beer to be half drinks...

Tonight a bit of ER10

Followed by a pour from a bottle I don't get into very often: Angel's Envy Cask Strength 2015.

Sometimes the AECS is really good to me, other times, not so much.

Tonight it's hot but good.

IMAG2183_1.jpg

Finally gave the OF1920 a try tonight. It definitely lived up to the hype I've heard on here. Was good neat, but even better with a few drops of water.

Started the night with the AB #14 LE Wheat Bourbon I just purchased. Fantastic. As always, you need to get a few pours in before you know for sure, but first impressions are great.

Followed with a nip of the Mellow Corn. Tastes young as I expected, but was still pleasant for what it is. Looking forward to trying this cold on a hot day.

Now into some ECBP 136 proof. Such a great pour. 

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

Stagg Jr and a donut. What more could one ask for.

Not much comes to mind... Maybe just a Sr

Maple old fashioned with some Jefferson vsvbs that was gifted to me. Onto Elijah Craig small batch NAS neat

2 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Stagg Jr and a donut. What more could one ask for.

A donut in the evening with bourbon.........I like your style.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I'm pretty sure all the Willett wheaters are Bernheim. 

See? I told you so!  :D

How is the newest batch of stagg jr tasting ? Can Anyone tell me? Have a few bottles on the shelf locally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BigPapa said:

How is the newest batch of stagg jr tasting ? Can Anyone tell me? Have a few bottles on the shelf locally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To my palate it's tasting fine.  I'm not great at picking out a lot of individual nuances but I really enjoyed it and it held it's own against a juicy grilled sirloin.

20170625_173304_zpstxe3nnvf.jpeg

I can confirm that Stagg Jr batch 8, 129.5 proof, is great. I haven't compared this directly to other batches, but I did a blind tasting vs CEHTL Barrel Proof (127), which is said to be the same mash bill and similar age.

I was able to pick the Stagg and the CEHTL correctly blind, though both share an extremely similar profile. I think the CEHTL may have been slightly older, as it has a little more of a tannic flavor to it. The Stagg Jr was just a touch more sweet and rich. I would say 93/100 for the CEHTL, 95/100 for the Stagg Jr. If anyone laments not being able to find CEHTL BP, pick up a bottle of Stagg Jr for $30 less! The CEHTL BP is excellent in its own right as well, I wouldn't hesitate to grab another at retail, but it just sort of puts into perspective how good Stagg Jr is for $50. Stagg Jr is very easy to recommend to anyone who enjoys Buffalo Trace juice.

Edited by EarthQuake

Based on the one taste Ive had its great stuff. Not the best batch (take with the proverbial grain of salt though as I've had it once) but its great. If it existed on shelves in CA I'd buy two, but Stagg jr is near the top of my list anyway. If you already like Stagg jr, you'll like the new batch.

I haven't seen the Stagg Jr Batch 8 on the shelves here yet. but I'm currently enjoying a bottle of the Batch 7.  I'd be interested in hearing how these two batches compare, from anyone who has tasted them both.  Thanks.

Having a pour of Russell's Reserve single barrel, an Astor Wines pick. Quite complex, a lot going on, some of which I like, some of which I'm not sure of. But all worth a ponder.

Cheers all.

After a very rainy day of working, I'm starting the afternoon off with a very good pour of WJ 10y. If you like the MGP profile I would pick one up. 

IMG_1904.thumb.JPG.117b280144a94ab33b615d9c8a75680d.JPG

19 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

After a very rainy day of working, I'm starting the afternoon off with a very good pour of WJ 10y. If you like the MGP profile I would pick one up. 

IMG_1904.thumb.JPG.117b280144a94ab33b615d9c8a75680d.JPG

I was in NY a few years back when Widow Jane was relatively new (was still Kentucky Straight Bourbon then). All of the bottles on the bar of other whiskies were half full/drunk out of, apart from Widow Jane which was a full bottle. Bartender asks me what I'd like next... so I point to the full bottle of Widow Jane and ask "Is that bottle full because nobody likes it or is it full because so many people like it you've had to replace it?". 

Over the next few hours we made sure that bottle looked the same as the rest of them and I'm afraid to say my friend who I was visiting ended up with a broken hand in a cast after we had too much . Good times that we now laugh about.

Cheers!

39 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Glad to see someone else on here that appreciates "The Widder"!  Definitely a favorite among the sourced whiskies that I have had.  Wish it was a tad cheaper, though ($78 here).

Bowman Last Millennium while doing a little leftover paperwork from the day.  Big heavy, rickhouse wood notes give a richness to this pour.  Not tannic at all.  Liking it a lot, tonight.

Thought I'd give the sample of Bulleit Rye I was given a try tonight. BIG mistake, there's waaaay too much mint and I ended up dumping it out. Grabbed a new glass and poured some CEHT Tornado to make things right again

Really enjoying the Evan Williams, it hits just right for my novice palate...

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

5 minutes ago, Stump1998 said:

Really enjoying the Evan Williams, it hits just right for my novice palate...

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

^^^Love this.  Bourbon in a plastic hotel cup can be soooo great.  :)

Just now, smokinjoe said:

^^^Love this.  Bourbon in a plastic hotel cup can be soooo great.  :)

Messing around on the internet, watching a little TV, sipping some bourbon, the hotel life lol...

8 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Thought I'd give the sample of Bulleit Rye I was given a try tonight. BIG mistake, there's waaaay too much mint and I ended up dumping it out. Grabbed a new glass and poured some CEHT Tornado to make things right again

Good call pal. ;) I'll see if I can bring something equally as crappy for you tomorrow night. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.