What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

as a novice to bourbon, this was a nice drink to me. nothing fancy but certainly hit the spot.

IMG_0590.JPG

1 hour ago, anthony. g. said:

as a novice to bourbon, this was a nice drink to me. nothing fancy but certainly hit the spot.

IMG_0590.JPG

WT101 has a lot to offer, whether one is a novice or veteran. Kudos on starting out with a good bottle. Enjoy :-)

Cheers

I got a chance to hit Steak 48 and Poison Girl last night.

i got Blood Oath Pact 3, Stagg Jr., Old Blowhard, and Eagle Rare 17.

Here's the Old Blowhard at Poison Girl.

image.jpeg

Edited by DeepCover

I reloaded a family sized Buffalo Trace yesterday, and it has been the only bourbon I've gone to since.  Not enough good words can be said about this whiskey.  

I was cooking while drinking a bunch of aged rums. I had the big ass shrimp and ribeye surf and turf and now enjoying some OE101 since my palate was compromised. Tasting great on a Sunday night. 

IMG_2993.JPG

Had a few nice tastes today of some "Unicorns":

Unicorns Tasting.jpg

Left to right:

John J. Bowman Straight Virginia Bourbon SiB #1 Loch & K(e)y Society Barrel Pick ABV 50%; Four Roses SiB Julio's Icons of Whiskey OBSV 12yr, 2mo; Eagle Rare 13yr 2006 Special Barrel Pick ABV 45%; Willett Family Estate "Aged Truth" 11yr bourbon ABV 63.7% (1 of 136 bottles); Willett Family Estate "Wheated Patriot" 21yr bourbon ABV 70.8% (1 of 98 bottles); Willett Family Estate "Wheated Patriot" 21yr bourbon ABV 69.8% (1 of 69 bottles); and,    

ORVW25.jpg

ORVW25 ABV 50% 11 barrel Small Batch production (712 bottle yield).

Still going back over my tasting notes, but the ORVW25 stuck out for its heavy oaky notes and a strange "coriander" accent.  Certainly not the winner among the bunch - the Willett "Wheated Warrior' was the clear favorite of the tasting and far better than the disappointing ORVW25.  Of course, YMMV.    :D

Edited by GeeTen
Pictures, spelling and grammar corrections.

Not just tonight... I opened a bottle of 1792 225th on Friday which was shared with friends and family while in KY and the remainder made it back to NC with me tonight and I finished it off.

Not a remarkable bourbon but for the price definitely a good buy.

Now moving to HH6BIB. The proof difference between this and the 1792 isn't that significant but it really shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooops, the sixth bottle was the Willett Family Estate "Wheated Warrior" - we didn't get to taste two (2) "Wheated Patriot"s (duh).   :blink:

My son cooked dinner for us tonight (Shrimp carbonara with bacon).  Had some Picton Bay Sauvignon Blanc with dinner and it was so good that I decided that it needed to be followed with some good bourbon.  Started off with OWA 107 and stayed in the 107 family by following that with some Baker's.  I figured that 7 + 7 = 14 so I finished the night with some OGD 114.

Having some store pick KC120. I'm still liking this non-KC tasting KC but the longer it's been open the more it's actually starting to taste like KC (ie..peanuts). It's subtle but it's there. A regular KC120 it's there in spades.

Ever since I put that bottle of HHBIB 6yr in the fridge, it's been a nightly pour. That first sip that's super cold........just the best on a hot day. This bottle is almost spent. I think I'll replace it with the JTS Brown that's been sitting neglected in the cabinet. These HH BIB's seems to like the cold. (And I don't want to go through my supply of 6yr too quickly.)

5 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

WT101 has a lot to offer, whether one is a novice or veteran. Kudos on starting out with a good bottle. Enjoy :-)

Cheers

In my early days as an enthusiast, I also "discovered" WT101. I had bypassed it for a while because I thought of it as cheap dive bar whiskey. Boy was I surprised when I figured how good it is for $20. (it's since gone up to $22). When I'm out at a bar/restaurant and the mid to upper shelf pours are priced ridiculously, I'll happily order a WT101 for $7-$8 and be happy.

27 minutes ago, flahute said:

In my early days as an enthusiast, I also "discovered" WT101. I had bypassed it for a while because I thought of it as cheap dive bar whiskey. Boy was I surprised when I figured how good it is for $20. (it's since gone up to $22). When I'm out at a bar/restaurant and the mid to upper shelf pours are priced ridiculously, I'll happily order a WT101 for $7-$8 and be happy.

At a bar I play music at I get pours of WT101 for $2. Not many bourbon choices there but I will happily take it over Jim or Jack.

Oh yeah..finishing up tonight with a pour of Barterhouse. 

12 minutes ago, Clueby said:

At a bar I play music at I get pours of WT101 for $2. Not many bourbon choices there but I will happily take it over Jim or Jack.

Nice! Even better.

My prices are Seattle prices which = overpriced across the board. It's why I hardly ever drink out. 

I got this Four Roses SN 44-3Q  from a grocery store.  I found it behind a bunch of bottles with other numbers.  

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Good for you - I've resisted bourbon when playing out, for fear of over-doing it.  I suffice with a beer per set, and look forward to a bourbon reward at the house, after all the gear is stowed. 

22 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

Good for you - I've resisted bourbon when playing out, for fear of over-doing it.  I suffice with a beer per set, and look forward to a bourbon reward at the house, after all the gear is stowed. 

I have a strict 2 drink rule over the course of a 4 hour gig.

Edited by Clueby

Ooops, the sixth bottle was the Willett Family Estate "Wheated Warrior" - we didn't get to taste two (2) "Wheated Patriot"s (duh).   :blink:

Do you know what kind of juice was in those Willet wheaters? Even before seeing your results I'd personally would've preferred a pour of either one of those over ORVW25.

9 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Do you know what kind of juice was in those Willet wheaters? Even before seeing your results I'd personally would've preferred a pour of either one of those over ORVW25.

At that age (21 yr), the educated guess for the source of the "Wheated Patriot" and "Wheated Warrior" was Bernheim.   FWIW, the educated guess for the 11yr "Aged Truth" was Brown-Forman.  And for B-F, it was really tasty!   B)

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling, of course.

4RSB Gift Shop OESO (8/14 Rutledge selection, 11 yr 8 mo, 53.7%).  Working on getting the bottle down low enough to drop the last few pours off with a friend.  Three3 years open might have softened some edges but it still doesn't really shine compared to the other selections from the gift shop that year.

At that age (21 yr), the educated guess for the source of the "Wheated Patriot" and "Wheated Warrior" was Bernheim.   FWIW, the educated guess for the 11yr "Aged Truth" was Brown-Forman.  And for B-F, it was really tasty!   B)

I might read it wrong but wasn't that 21yr bottled in 2006? If so wouldn't there be a good chance this was SW?

19 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I might read it wrong but wasn't that 21yr bottled in 2006? If so wouldn't there be a good chance this was SW?

Could be - but back them Willett was sourcing everything from anybody that would sell to them I guess.  Would be nice tho' to finally get to taste some real S-W distillate, no? (smokinjoe really hates it when I use "juice" to describe whiskey!)   :D 

I've been working on a PS OWA and ER10 the past few days, and continue to do so this evening:)

Edited by Paddy

36 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Could be - but back them Willett was sourcing everything from anybody that would sell to them I guess.  Would be nice tho' to finally get to taste some real S-W distillate, no? (smokinjoe really hates it when I use "juice" to describe whiskey!)   :D 

G, are you telling me I have at least ONE convert away from juice, now?!?!?  My first?!?!?!  :lol:  Leave it to Stitzel-Weller memories to bring joy.

Well, this is cause for a celebration here.  DSP-16 Old Fitz BIB to mark the occasion.  

IMG_3681.JPG

Just poured me a glass of 4R SiB OESV as the wife and I settle down to rewatch episode 8 of Game of Thrones season six in preparation for the new season starting this coming Sunday. 

IMG_3699.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.