What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One nice pour of CEHT SmB followed by a short pour of ER10 to close out this night.

I find it just flat out boring.
Not bad per say, but just downright dull.

I kind of felt that way about all Weller but the last OWA I got I really enjoyed. Maybe it was a time and place thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished mowing and trimming half the yard. A small pour of pre-fire 1783 10yr.

3 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Just finished mowing and trimming half the yard. A small pour of pre-fire 1783 10yr.

Such an interesting and fun bottle.  I used to pick it up for years at the local store when we would take our then young Littlesmokinjoe to Helen, GA for pumpkin picking, carriage rides, gold panning, etc years ago.  It was my cabin bottle, there.  Now, as she heads off to college, along with all my money, I can only hope for more cheap and good bourbon like that one...:D

Definitely a unique profile compared to other HH iterations. I considered myself lucky last summer when I bought 4 bottles of it off a Facebook site for a hundo. I would do that deal all day long.   Wish I was into bourbon when this was on the shelf. Sorry about your money Joe :(

Edited by Phil T

Alright, the yard is done. Sipping some 6yr old bonded Dant that was bottled in '74. A nice dark amber color and tastes of butterscotch. Goes just fine with the ribeyes I'm grilling. 

Good friend came over for "smoked meat Sunday" and brought some whiskey.

Here's the lineup.  Some of his, some of mine.

Everything was good! 

IMAG2259.jpg

Edited by 0895

I opened one of the Binny's KCSBs I picked last weekend, Barrel # 4519A. I haven't compared it to the tasting notes on their website,  but I really like it. It hits all the notes I like in a KCSB. Actually,  I think it quite stellar and represents everything a Kentucky Straight Bourbon should be. I wish I had grabbed another bottle or two.

It has a nice sweet cherry, butterscotch, spice nose. The taste is nice hot cherry pie, cinnamon and oddly a little baseball mitt leather. 

As noted by others, while the barrel proof was 129, the bottle proof is 120. I know because I tried it neat and found minimal hint of alcohol or burn. Very thick and viscous. 

Interestingly, it was 10 years to the day from barrel to bottle. 

Edited by mbroo5880i

Harpo was my favorite Marx brother. Didn't talk much.

It made the Algonquin Roundtable sessions rather awkward when Harpo would only respond to Dorothy Parker by honking and chasing her around the table.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Josh said:

It made the Algonquin Roundtable sessions rather awkward when Harpo would only respond to Dorothy Parker by honking and chasing her around the table.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

:lol: Very good!  

Started with the final pour from a decanter of ECBP B517 glad I have more and picked up two more this week. Nite cap of 1792FP SB from MC's. may have to get another case of this next weekend on the way back to KY if it's still there

23 minutes ago, Hop said:

Started with the final pour from a decanter of ECBP B517 glad I have more and picked up two more this week. Nite cap of 1792FP SB from MC's. may have to get another case of this next weekend on the way back to KY if it's still there

Out of curiosity, what's their price on the 1792 FP store pick?  When I stopped in there this spring all the store picks were dirt cheap.  

Oh, and for the purpose of this thread I started with scotch and finished the night with OWA single barrel...love it.

Edited by Nm0369

CEHT BP. Awesome stuff, but truth be told, I find it very difficult to distinguish this from a random bottle of Stagg Jr.

Out of curiosity, what's their price on the 1792 FP store pick?  When I stopped in there this spring all the store picks were dirt cheap.  

Oh, and for the purpose of this thread I started with scotch and finished the night with OWA single barrel...love it.

It was about $36 a bottle or maybe less. One thing though is to ask to taste what they have. I've passed on a couple of different bottlings of other brands because the profile didn't match my palate. Always a good reminder not to look at price alone.

1 minute ago, Hop said:

It was about $36 a bottle or maybe less. One thing though is to ask to taste what they have. I've passed on a couple of different bottlings of other brands because the profile didn't match my palate. Always a good reminder not to look at price alone.

Yep....they had the cheapest Dickel pick I've ever seen at like $26, but I sampled and just couldn't pull the trigger.  

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

CEHT BP. Awesome stuff, but truth be told, I find it very difficult to distinguish this from a random bottle of Stagg Jr.

Marketing at its finest.

But you get a fancier bottle and a cardboard tube.

:)

I've got a bottle of CEHT BP and a couple bottles of Stagg Jr Batch 8 at the moment. I love both but slightly prefer the Stagg JR in a blind side by side, and at $50 and reasonably easy to find vs $80 and much harder to find, I won't be going out of my way to pick up another CEHT BP.

Edited by EarthQuake

37 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

...and at $50 and reasonably easy to find

Okay, I stopped reading there :)

Granted I got 2 bottles of batch 6 at 49.99, but that was the only time I've seen a Stagg Jr sitting on a shelf with a sane price tag. Just today I passed up a bottle at $89. Not easy to find around Boston either in my experience, maybe it's my luck...

I agree that if Stagg Jr can be readily found at that price, CEHT offers nothing to beat that. And in fact, my CEHT bottle here is very old, it might even be from before Stagg Jr was released. I can easily see the exact same juice later being released under the sexier Stagg brand.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Marketing at its finest.

59 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

I've got a bottle of CEHT BP and a couple bottles of Stagg Jr Batch 8 at the moment. I love both but slightly prefer the Stagg JR in a blind side by side, and at $50 and reasonably easy to find vs $80 and much harder to find, I won't be going out of my way to pick up another CEHT BP.

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

I agree that if Stagg Jr can be readily found at that price, CEHT offers nothing to beat that. And in fact, my CEHT bottle here is very old, it might even be from before Stagg Jr was released. I can easily see the exact same juice later being released under the sexier Stagg brand.

I, for one, prefer the EHT BP over StaggJr.  I find it to be a better balanced bourbon and less overly hot most of the time.  I'm still a big fan of StaggJr at $50 but I feel the higher price of CEHTBP is worth it. Whether it's worth the extra trouble of chasing it when baby Stagg is readily available is a different question but for me anyway I find the Taylor BP to be a special treat.

32 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I, for one, prefer the EHT BP over StaggJr.  I find it to be a better balanced bourbon and less overly hot most of the time.  I'm still a big fan of StaggJr at $50 but I feel the higher price of CEHTBP is worth it. Whether it's worth the extra trouble of chasing it when baby Stagg is readily available is a different question but for me anyway I find the Taylor BP to be a special treat.

I've only had the CEHTBP as a bar pour so far, but I found it too be much more caramel than Stagg Jr.  Stagg Jr I get cherry cola most of the time.

4 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I've only had the CEHTBP as a bar pour so far, but I found it too be much more caramel than Stagg Jr.  Stagg Jr I get cherry cola most of the time.

I'd basically agree with you.  StaggJr batches I've had are dependably heavy on the dark cherry, dark fruits and cherry cola oftentimes. I get more caramel, brown sugar and traditionally balanced classic bourbon flavor on the palate with CEHT BP.  For me anyway it might be the balanced flavors on the palate that make the heat less noticeable than on the Stagg Jr.   I guess they are aged about the same more or less, but reviewers' unsubstantiated claims notwithstanding, we  may never know. 

Marketing at its finest.

[emoji4]

Don't underestimate a good tube!

I enjoyed a pour of 4R SiB BP last night while grilling some steaks.  Sat down to a rare steak with baked potato & broiled asparagus with a glass of Kendall Jackson Grand Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.  Nice night.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.